Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Guys: 1 - Scammers: 0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please forgive the overly dramatic title.

About 4 months back I bought a used Model S from a dealership in Florida. The listing had "Has Autopilot" no less than 11 times. Clearly this led me to believe that it....had autopilot. I fly down, pick it up and drive it home. I didn't feel comfortable engaging AP on the first night and made it into Georgia where I got a hotel for the night. The next day I decided to give it a shot. I look up how to engage, i find a fairly dead chunk of highway, I double pull and..... and nothing. I googled, asked questions on here and reddit and it became very clear that I did not have AP at all. I shot a text to the dealership and they explained to me that my car "has AP hardware and it's up to me to pay for the software". They also stated on multiple occasions that "We sell tons of Teslas, this is how they all are". This did not jive well with me. I felt conned. I am typically not very litigious, but I was pretty hacked about it. My local SC put together statements from Tesla stating that having AP means Software, and just having hardware doesn't mean anything. I hired a Lawyer in FL and I went after his ass. If he would have been a decent human it would have cost him 2k to just pay for the software for my car. Instead it cost him over 5k, plus whatever is legal fees were. There's a lot of scammers out there. I am sharing this to let you all know that sometimes it pays to fight.

Cheers!
Well done! Never trust a "used car salesman". Had my lesson learned and was done with them. Too many bad apples. Now you can buy used from Tesla.

Please forgive the overly dramatic title.

About 4 months back I bought a used Model S from a dealership in Florida. The listing had "Has Autopilot" no less than 11 times. Clearly this led me to believe that it....had autopilot. I fly down, pick it up and drive it home. I didn't feel comfortable engaging AP on the first night and made it into Georgia where I got a hotel for the night. The next day I decided to give it a shot. I look up how to engage, i find a fairly dead chunk of highway, I double pull and..... and nothing. I googled, asked questions on here and reddit and it became very clear that I did not have AP at all. I shot a text to the dealership and they explained to me that my car "has AP hardware and it's up to me to pay for the software". They also stated on multiple occasions that "We sell tons of Teslas, this is how they all are". This did not jive well with me. I felt conned. I am typically not very litigious, but I was pretty hacked about it. My local SC put together statements from Tesla stating that having AP means Software, and just having hardware doesn't mean anything. I hired a Lawyer in FL and I went after his ass. If he would have been a decent human it would have cost him 2k to just pay for the software for my car. Instead it cost him over 5k, plus whatever is legal fees were. There's a lot of scammers out there. I am sharing this to let you all know that sometimes it pays to fight.

Cheers!

What area in Florida? Had a similar situation from buying mine in Florida 2 months ago.