Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good place to buy a roof cargo box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never purchased a roof cargo box, but I'm hoping to goto a store, have them test fit, and then purchase only after I know it's going to work.

I looked up Thule/Yakima boxes on their websites, and whenever I try to set the car to a Model Y in their fit tools, it gives me zero options to choose from.

I guess the only thing I can do is go somewhere and physically try to see if they'll fit the roof racks.

I don't mind purchasing it either, trying it in the parking lot, and returning it if there is a 100% return policy.

Does REI do this?

REI might, if they have what you’re looking for in stock. They’d be the best bet. Worst case, you can bet they’ll take it back. ;)

That said, the Yakima and Thule boxes are very adjustable and will fit basically any factory cross bars.

These guys are super knowledgeable if you are willing to venture across the Bay. Contact Us

I believe you are getting no matches on Thule and Yakima because neither of them makes feet that are compatible with the Tesla roof/rain gutter system. Tesla sells their little gizmos that hook into the glass roof and then allow the rack feet to mount. I am guessing Yakima and Thule are not fans of that system and the risk of blame for cracked roof glass. So, no feet, no bars, no box to go with it.

As the previous poster said, if you have the dimensions of the Tesla bars and the spread between them any competent rack outfitter will tell you the boxes that will fit.

It is the feet attachment that is the limiter here.

Reactions: ucmndd