Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye Cobalt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
During today’s May 2nd conference call, Elon mentioned that they are moving away from using Cobalt in their cells and might end up at very little Cobalt. I have no idea what chemistry they will be using instead....

During today’s May 2nd conference call, Elon mentioned that they are moving away from using Cobalt in their cells and might end up at very little Cobalt. I have no idea what chemistry they will be using instead....

Goodbye may be a bit of an overstatement, however it is good to see that they are recognizing the supply issues with cobalt and moving to lessen their usage of it. They're still using a Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum cathode chemistry though, so they'll need some cobalt.

Goodbye may be a bit of an overstatement, however it is good to see that they are recognizing the supply issues with cobalt and moving to lessen their usage of it. They're still using a Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum cathode chemistry though, so they'll need some cobalt.

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.

I think directionally, Rod, it's helpful to understand the different commodities and the trends that we're pursuing in the batteries. Being on a path to reduce cobalt usage, for instance, has been something we've been working on for literally several years now, and this has been extremely helpful in the overall cost per kilowatt hour, especially with recent commodity price movements. So, we can't really be quantitative, but that directionally is a pretty good trend.

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Yeah, we think we can get the cobalt to almost nothing.

I missed this from the shareholder letter:

Cells used in Model 3 are the highest energy density cells used in any electric vehicle. We have achieved this by significantly reducing cobalt content per battery pack while increasing nickel content and still maintaining superior thermal stability. The cobalt content of our Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum cathode chemistry is already lower than next-generation cathodes that will be made by other cell producers with a Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt ratio of 8:1:1. As a result, even with its battery, the gross weight of Model 3 is on par with its gasoline-powered counterparts.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
I am a bit confused about the last line from the shareholder report that said that as a result of swapping out cobalt for nickel, they have reduced pack weight. The weight density of cobalt and nickel are essentially identical...

I would ignore what Elon says there, as he frequently exaggerates. JB's message is great though.

I said disagree, just because I wouldn't _ignore_ it. Elon Musk's statements should be taking as somewhere in the range [hyperbolic,lying).

My rule is that when Elon Musk says "will" it should be read as "will try to". Similar case here.

But yes, JB's statement is useful. Taken together with the "Supercharging won't be 350kW*" statement, it really points to Tesla's emphatic focus on driving down battery cost.

* To all those people who got excited about the "children's toys" tweet: I told you so.

I said disagree, just because I wouldn't _ignore_ it. Elon Musk's statements should be taking as somewhere in the range [hyperbolic,lying).

My rule is that when Elon Musk says "will" it should be read as "will try to". Similar case here.

But yes, JB's statement is useful. Taken together with the "Supercharging won't be 350kW*" statement, it really points to Tesla's emphatic focus on driving down battery cost.

* To all those people who got excited about the "children's toys" tweet: I told you so.
On one hand you say not to ignore elon's statements, but in the next line you point out where one of his statements should have been ignored.