Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye Oil, Hello Sunshine - my Tesla now powered off solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just headed to Daytona for my race this Saturday, and since I am running a race car promoting the move to 100% renewable energy, it is great timing that just before I left I am happy to finally say that our solar panels have been installed and (away from the track anyway) I am now driving off sunshine! We made this little video while we were installing the solar

[video=vimeo;86411377]https://vimeo.com/86411377[/video]

I am just headed to Daytona for my race this Saturday, and since I am running a race car promoting the move to 100% renewable energy, it is great timing that just before I left I am happy to finally say that our solar panels have been installed and (away from the track anyway) I am now driving off sunshine! We made this little video while we were installing the solar
So, Leilani, will you be driving the Tesla "formula" electric race car in 2015?

Sorry the embedded video is not showing up for some - here is the link

https://vimeo.com/leilanimunter/hellosunshine

- - - Updated - - -

So, Leilani, will you be driving the Tesla "formula" electric race car in 2015?

That would be sweet but for now, the only race on my schedule is Daytona this Sat Feb 15! Hope my Tesla pals will tune in and cheer for me in my gas guzzler. Fox Sports 1, 415pm ET

Congrats on the solar roof - I looked into that, but my roof is too old and would have to be replaced.

There's an incredible amount of energy that can be created if more roofs went solar - I've seen solar roofing tiles. Not the most efficient, but if you make it cheap enough, lots of square footage.

Now to go finish watching "Blackfish" on my Tivo...

Love this video! We did the same thing.

I have 44 AUO AC Unison PM250MA0 250-watt AC Solar Panels
on our south facing roof. Love that I am driving the car for free now! I love it more that I did the install (sans the electric work).

Last edited:
Glad you are watching Blackfish! Be sure to watch "The Cove" as well!

OT warning: The Cove made me sick. We actually visited the San Diego subject of Blackfish when on vacation last summer, before we saw the movie, and were disgusted, absolutely disgusted with how the show(s) ran -- they were all about "look at us humans and the [pathetic] storyline we put together, with music". Not to mention the total focus on extracting more dollars for cheap trinkets. We left the whale show before it ended. I recall years ago in the Victoria and Vancouver shows, the huge emphasis on educating the show-goers on sea life and what the whales', sea lions', seals' behaviours meant in the wild -- i.e., do a "trick", then explain why whales use the behaviour in the wild. So at least there was some benefit in education, not enough of course.

My wife and I are still bummed from that visit. Ok, rant over. I apologize.