Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Assurance MaxLife tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just logically thinking why one vs the other would be harder on the tires. If I'm on the highway, driving without regen, and I'm too close to the car in front of me then I hit my brake. Same situation, with regen this time, I let off the accelerator. Same thing happens in either case. How is it different to the tire?

Difference is your adding a condition of immediate stop. That will be same agreed. But if your just saying low regeneration vs standard region, it has todo with energy absorption by the friction of the tires. The longer the duration of the slow down, less tire wear. Material(tire) doesn't disintegrate much over longer period of slowdown opposed to quick slow down.

Difference is your adding a condition of immediate stop. That will be same agreed. But if your just saying low regeneration vs standard region, it has todo with energy absorption by the friction of the tires. The longer the duration of the slow down, less tire wear. Material(tire) doesn't disintegrate much over longer period of slowdown opposed to quick slow down.

MasterC17 above said : "I hate to tell you, but a 4,000lb electric vehicle with instant torque and regen braking is going to wear out tires fast".

So he is arguing regen wears tires faster than regular brakes. Now you sound like you are arguing regen wears tires slower than regular brakes. Is that right?

I'm just saying regen has no effect on tire wear vs regular brakes. I haven't seen any study or real tire source reporting that it does, so if you know of one please let me know. I'd like more than a "common sense" answer. One person's common sense isn't the same as another's usually.

Reactions: UrsS
Are you still relatively happy with these. I am looking at getting them too. Do you think they are louder that the OEM’s were new, or just when you replaced them?
I think they are a bit louder than OEMs even when new. My tire shop said I could swap them for different tires within 30 days if I was not happy but I'm still planning to keep them. My lifetime efficiency with the OEM tires over 23K miles was 247 wh/mile. Short time with the new tires (350 miles) is using 249 wh/mile. I'll update again if the gap widens significantly but efficiency so far is pretty close.

Reactions: Point 3
MasterC17 above said : "I hate to tell you, but a 4,000lb electric vehicle with instant torque and regen braking is going to wear out tires fast".

So he is arguing regen wears tires faster than regular brakes. Now you sound like you are arguing regen wears tires slower than regular brakes. Is that right?

I'm just saying regen has no effect on tire wear vs oregular brakes. I haven't seen any study or real tire source reporting that it does, so if you know of one please let me know. I'd like more than a "common sense" answer. One person's common sense isn't the same as another's usually.

There are too many conditions to have a common sense answer. The best answer I can give is "energy dispersed over a longer period" will give you more tire mileage. Hence "standard regen" vs "low regen", standard will eat more tire, low will eat less tire.
Gentle braking vs stomping on the brake. Since you instant torque on the car, standard regens immediately, (kind of like stomping on brake opposed to being real gentle) eats away the tire more. Your foot would have more gentle control in this manner equal to having low regen setting. But all this is trivial to stomping on the accelerator, that eats way more tire.

I think they are a bit louder than OEMs even when new. My tire shop said I could swap them for different tires within 30 days if I was not happy but I'm still planning to keep them. My lifetime efficiency with the OEM tires over 23K miles was 247 wh/mile. Short time with the new tires (350 miles) is using 249 wh/mile. I'll update again if the gap widens significantly but efficiency so far is pretty close.

Just got them today, keeping my fingers crossed

There are too many conditions to have a common sense answer. The best answer I can give is "energy dispersed over a longer period" will give you more tire mileage. Hence "standard regen" vs "low regen", standard will eat more tire, low will eat less tire.
Gentle braking vs stomping on the brake. Since you instant torque on the car, standard regens immediately, (kind of like stomping on brake opposed to being real gentle) eats away the tire more. Your foot would have more gentle control in this manner equal to having low regen setting. But all this is trivial to stomping on the accelerator, that eats way more tire.
I think it is much more so the acceleration and how instant it is. Regen is instant as well but it is only so strong. Both probably have an event but just because they are instant. I think you probably brake more in the model 3 with regen than you do in a regular car but that's hard to really measure and quantify.

The biggest factor must be the torque of electric but also the weight above those wheels (but again, more so the torque)

I'm having a heck of a time finding a tire that is quiet, somewhat long lasting, not too heavy.

I don't know if it exists! Everything I see has some compromise. Maybe the mxm4 is right in the middle. They don't make a pilot sport with acoustic treatment for all season, do they?

I'm having a heck of a time finding a tire that is quiet, somewhat long lasting, not too heavy.

I don't know if it exists! Everything I see has some compromise. Maybe the mxm4 is right in the middle. They don't make a pilot sport with acoustic treatment for all season, do they?

It has no acoustic foam but the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus is the closest thing. They're actually pretty quiet. We own a pair. They are shockingly close to the Pilot Sport 4S in terms of handling and obviously way better in snow (don't even think of driving the Pilot Sport 4S in snow!). They are not as good in snow as the Michelin Crossclimate for example but for such a great High Performance Tire on dry pavement they are damned good in the snow. If you live in a climate where you don't have a lot of deep snow to deal with regularly I think they're the closest thing to a year-round Tire, with really modest compromises. On the other hand, they are not cheap . . . . but you get what you pay for!

It has no acoustic foam but the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus is the closest thing. They're actually pretty quiet. We own a pair. They are shockingly close to the Pilot Sport 4S in terms of handling and obviously way better in snow (don't even think of driving the Pilot Sport 4S in snow!). They are not as good in snow as the Michelin Crossclimate for example but for such a great High Performance Tire on dry pavement they are damned good in the snow. If you live in a climate where you don't have a lot of deep snow to deal with regularly I think they're the closest thing to a year-round Tire, with really modest compromises. On the other hand, they are not cheap . . . . but you get what you pay for!
I'm in the valley of California. I'd only see snow if I'm driving to see it but I wouldn't.

Money isn't the issue if I want it all. I was also eyeing the Turanza quiettrack but damn, it's like 5lbs heavier than the Crossclimate+ and I'm tripping about that after learning a bit about rotational weight. 5 just in the tires will definitely be noticed.

Wish I could compare side by side how much this foam makes a difference.

I'm in the valley of California. I'd only see snow if I'm driving to see it but I wouldn't.

Money isn't the issue if I want it all. I was also eyeing the Turanza quiettrack but damn, it's like 5lbs heavier than the Crossclimate+ and I'm tripping about that after learning a bit about rotational weight. 5 just in the tires will definitely be noticed.

Wish I could compare side by side how much this foam makes a difference.

If you don't need snow traction and safety why not get the best street Tire anybody's ever made the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which is made in Tesla specific sizes and configurations with acoustic foam? Although there's debate about how meaningful the foam is the tire certainly is really quiet even without it.

If you don't need snow traction and safety why not get the best street Tire anybody's ever made the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which is made in Tesla specific sizes and configurations with acoustic foam? Although there's debate about how meaningful the foam is the tire certainly is really quiet even without it.
I was brought to understand that all seasons will be quieter and longer lasting than summer tires.

That might be on average true. The Pilot Sport 4S is probably the quietest of all the ultra high performance or so-called Max performance summer tires. It's marginally quieter than the Pilot Sport All Season 3 plus.
I'll keep that in mind. I'll see what people say about the noise and comfort too but people buying that tire are expecting things based off of performance standards and things like comfort and noise rating might just be relative to other performance tires, so in that regard the standard would be lower which makes me hesitant to trust the reviews very much for what I'm looking for.

But I'll look into it.

Kinda looking at the MXM4 and climatecontrol+ but I don't think either has the foam.

By the way, some shops will repair foam filled tires in these cases but it depends. Some cut the foam out in the section it is damaged. Others may apply it back in that spot after the repair. I'd like to put it back if possible.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll see what people say about the noise and comfort too but people buying that tire are expecting things based off of performance standards and things like comfort and noise rating might just be relative to other performance tires, so in that regard the standard would be lower which makes me hesitant to trust the reviews very much for what I'm looking for.

But I'll look into it.

Kinda looking at the MXM4 and climatecontrol+ but I don't think either has the foam.

By the way, some shops will repair foam filled tires in these cases but it depends. Some cut the foam out in the section it is damaged. Others may apply it back in that spot after the repair. I'd like to put it back if possible.

As long as you have not used sealant foam in the tire the acoustic foam can be patched without issue. Some shops are just a little bit gun-shy about it and don't have a lot of experience so they'll cut a whole section out or in some cases take the whole thing out which is unnecessary for virtually any flat repair.

But I'll look into it.

Best large-scale survey is the one done by tire rack. Check it out here. Comfort and noise are two of the places where Michelin seriously improved this over the antecedent Tire the Super Sport.