Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google WiFi router and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
Does anyone else have experience with the Google WiFi router connecting to a Model S or X? I've seen two very different experiences posted here:

"I would highly recommend Google Wifi or a similar multi-point Wifi home system for the best connectivity."

and

"I had issues using my new Google Wifi access points where the car would connect, but Slacker would not stream, and web pages would not load in the in-car browser. Every other device on my home's Google Wifi mesh network worked perfectly.

My Google Wifi is using the 192.168.86.XXX range (subnet cannot be user configured). I had to set up a separate Wifi hotspot in my garage with an ethernet run straight back to my modem using a Netgear N300 using the 192.168.0.xxx range. This worked, but I don't know if it is because of the IP range (I would think that is unlikely) or whether it is related to something the Google Wifi system is doing."

Before I buy a Google WiFi mesh router I'd like to know which experience is the more common!

I have the mesh system from Google and it works great with my Model S. No issues fetching updates or connecting at all. Slacker and web pages load perfectly well.

I love our Google WiFi! Awesome speeds and coverage all over our house! And dead simple to set up and use too.

Worst case, you can always return it if it doesn't work out for you for whatever reason.

Does anyone else have experience with the Google WiFi router connecting to a Model S or X? I've seen two very different experiences posted here:

"I would highly recommend Google Wifi or a similar multi-point Wifi home system for the best connectivity."

and

"I had issues using my new Google Wifi access points where the car would connect, but Slacker would not stream, and web pages would not load in the in-car browser. Every other device on my home's Google Wifi mesh network worked perfectly.

My Google Wifi is using the 192.168.86.XXX range (subnet cannot be user configured). I had to set up a separate Wifi hotspot in my garage with an ethernet run straight back to my modem using a Netgear N300 using the 192.168.0.xxx range. This worked, but I don't know if it is because of the IP range (I would think that is unlikely) or whether it is related to something the Google Wifi system is doing."

Before I buy a Google WiFi mesh router I'd like to know which experience is the more common!
Slight thread drift, but I have eero mesh routers, and one in my garage (with a hard line to the main switch). It works well with the Tesla. Nothing special about my setup (although my password is less than 16 characters long)

I have Google Fiber and it works perfectly. It's a similar setup to the google access points. You could have multiple devices giving out IP addresses. Try this... configure the google devices as access points only allowing only the n300 to dish out ip addresses and give all the devices the same said name and password. That may fix your wifi woes.