Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got an answer from Tesla on where to report incorrect speed limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run into incorrect speed limits on the display relatively frequently. Already been pulled over once because of it, but the officer let me off with a warning once I showed him what happened. Naturally, he didn't believe me in the beginning when I said I wasn't speeding on purpose. Surprise, surprise!

I hit up the Tesla support chat and the agent, Lon, had Vehicle Support login to my car to make sure that it didn't have any problems and that it was the speed limit database.

The agent said:
"Vehicle Support said that when you notice the discrepancy you should do your best to track:
Location (down to the intersection)
Nearest town/village/exit/feature/service station
Direction of travel
If it is an off ramp or other interchange​
And if possible, set a pin drop on Google Maps so they can track it."

Email all that stuff to your service center, don't file a bug report.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.27.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.27.49 PM.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 153
  • wan.png
    wan.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 112
  • tew.png
    tew.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 103
I'd be really surprised if there weren't over 100,000 errors in the database. This isn't the way to fix it, only to placate users.
There are other databases out there with MUCH better speed limits. From what I understand, Tesla moved away from it earlier this year, just before I got my car in March.
Honestly, what's in the database now is worse than an amateur hack. I suspect that there are a number of open source maps that are significantly better. I'm guessing that they are depending on the imminent version that reads speed limits and staying with the crappy version until then.

Most counties/states around the country keep their roads in GIS systems and that data is shared with map companies. Not having it right is, well, just bad.

Reactions: SOULPEDL