Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New User - finally got FSDb report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I subscribed to FSD on 6/1 having 2023.12.5.4 and had to wait until today, 6/15 to get an update to 2023.12.11. This turned on FSDb for me. I have a 2023 MYLR with only cameras from 2/26/2023.

Here is a description of my first time out with FSDb that I wrote on another forum.

I bought a month of full self driving on 6/1, but did not receive an update to FSD beta until this afternoon.

I took the non-beta FSD for a somewhat long drive that involved four different numbered highways. On the highway it performed very well. It drove the entire highway portion until it got off the last exit by itself and took all the interchanges and lane changes. The only intervention I did was to use the spin wheel on the steering wheel to dial down the speed on a couple of the ramps to avoid scaring myself.

I could not help taking a short spin tonight after I finally got the FSDb update. I told it to navigate to my food market about five miles away. It did two stop signs, a right turn (creeping ahead for a better look) at the second sign. Then it stopped for a red light, continued and even turned right into the store parking lot. I sort of freaked out as it turned into the lot and took control, making it weave a little bit. There was a police cruiser parked in the lot. I thought that there might be some explaining to do, but not so.

One funny thing was on the way to the store it kept running the windshield wipers. I think I had some spots on the windshield, so I cleaned it while in the store parking lot and that seemed to stop that behavior.

On the trip back to home it came to a red light with four or five cars facing us in the intersection. It did not seem to be able to react to the turn signal on the cars where it could have taken the turn and was too timid. The car behind me beeped and I took over an took the turn then put FSDb back on.

It did a good job of driving home, but when it came time to turn left into my road, it took longer than I would to turn on the left turn signal. That cut it close with the cars following me. The other thing is it was very strict following the speed limits. So on my road which is 25 mph it seemed like we were sitting still. I had two cars bunching up behind me so I dialed the speed up to 33. It did a good job at the four way stop sign, but maybe seemed to not be sure about the truck facing me. We both were going straight, but the Tesla waited until it saw the truck move.

When we got near my driveway it once again waited too long to turn on the turn signal and I had a car riding my butt, so I had to take over.

Well, all and all an interesting evening. I am glad I finally got the update. I was starting to think that I would go the entire month and not get it.

Nice! When it’s being too timid for other drivers around you, that’s when you “give it a little gas” (i.e. - push the accelerator pedal) to get it going without causing FSDb to disengage. It doesn’t offer the feedback recording button, which may be good to help provide feedback to the AP team, but it does help make sure you’re safe and others around you are safe while using FSDb.

I’ve tried this a few different times but the car shakes (start stop start stop) like the FSD doesn’t want to be nudged! And nothing is in the way. This has been for left turns
You cant just tap the accelerator you need to tap and hold confirming through the turn when it is unsure. At times it sees something it doesn’t understand and needs your participation to complete the process.

I’ve tried this a few different times but the car shakes (start stop start stop) like the FSD doesn’t want to be nudged! And nothing is in the way. This has been for left turns
Similar to what @Yelobird said above, you have to give it a confident and consistent enough push to let it know you’re overriding FSDb’s desire to hold back. Not flooring it or anything, but can’t just be a tap/release nor “resting or the foot on the pedal”. Since this action doesn’t disengage FSDb, it will flip back to FSDb control of speed the moment you release.

Reactions: Yelobird