Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got back from service and now car can be driven without keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Not sure anyone else noticed this, today got the car back from service and now I am able to drive the car without Phone Key or Key Cards on center console.

Is that the norm? When I got car I remembered not being able to drive if card wasn't on center console... just sent email to service center.. wondering if someone experienced the same.

The issue I was having and have sent the car back is all the issues related to phone key issues, like everyone else here apparently.

Thanks
-Dan

I'm not sure I'm understanding your situation. I was told you only have to put the card on the center console to start it but then could do anything you wanted with it once started (ie put in wallet, purse). I unlock my car with my phone app (pulling out card key is more of a pain and actually can't wait for the fob) and am able to start the car without pulling the card key out of my purse. Never had to put the phone on the center console.

Agree with smalset... If you are thinking you have to put your phone on the console, this is not the case As long as it is on your person that is sufficient. If you are saying you don't have your phone on you at all though and are still able to drive that is not normal.

Reactions: Dana1
Agree with smalset... If you are thinking you have to put your phone on the console, this is not the case As long as it is on your person that is sufficient. If you are saying you don't have your phone on you at all though and are still able to drive that is not normal.
yes phone didnt connect, car asked for car, and I went to the Locks screen and no key were in BLACK.. all GRAY and I was able to drive... tested now later on leaving phone far away.. same thing... card unlocked, and was able to drive... no need to put card on the center..

If the car "authenticates" (unlocks) and sees a "Phone as a Key", then nothing is required to be put on the center console in order to put the car into "gear."

If that is not the case... Welcome to the Tesla Car-Sharing Beta Program!

that'd not the case... Locks screen shows no phone key or card in BLACK... all GRAY and was able to drive... geez.... waiting service center to check.. good thing they still require to unlock the car haha.. if not would be Drive any Tesla on the street for free!!!

yes phone didnt connect, car asked for car, and I went to the Locks screen and no key were in BLACK.. all GRAY and I was able to drive... tested now later on leaving phone far away.. same thing... card unlocked, and was able to drive... no need to put card on the center..

Are you saying you used the key card to unlock the car by tapping outside, didn't have to tap the card on the center console, and the car allowed you to start it and drive away? If that's the case, you should read the manual, because that's completely normal. There's a grace period of 2 minutes after unlocking the car with the key card where you can start it without tapping the card again on the center console.

As others have pointed out, the key card does not need to make constant contact with the center console either to allow driving.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    132.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Informative
Reactions: Kermee
Are you saying you used the key card to unlock the car by tapping outside, didn't have to tap the card on the center console, and the car allowed you to start it and drive away? If that's the case, you should read the manual, because that's completely normal. There's a grace period of 2 minutes after unlocking the car with the key card where you can start it without tapping the card again on the center console.

As others have pointed out, the key card does not need to make constant contact with the center console either to allow driving.

View attachment 340885

That's new then.. the I got delivery on May, I clearly remembered not being able to drive without adding the card on the center console. Thanks, will start to check all Manual revisions for every update now. Lesson learned.

I do not understand what the op is trying to say in this thread.

I can drive the car without Phone Key or Card in center console, and this is after I got back from service. Apparently this is the new norm.. back on May, I wasn't able to drive the car if I don't leave the card in the center console to unlock it. I know this for a fact as I had to drive with the card for the 3 initial weeks, after I was able to use Phone Key.

That could be a possibility, otherwise they would have to keep looking for a card key everytime they needed to move the car.

Yep, but when I picked up the car, technician told me to check service mode is off on the screen and It was already off. I believe it's the new norm 2min. grace period you can drive the car without having to unlock car on the center console, which is great to be honest, I wasn't aware that has been changed since May.

Reactions: SMAlset
Yep, but when I picked up the car, technician told me to check service mode is off on the screen and It was already off. I believe it's the new norm 2min. grace period you can drive the car without having to unlock car on the center console, which is great to be honest, I wasn't aware that has been changed since May.

I really don't think this is new. I remember some very old discussions in the "Phone as Key Issues" thread (probably) whereby people finally gave up on using their phone but were complaining that they were not able to get into the vehicle, buckle up and start the car in the grace period. Granted, the grace period was (is?) only 30 seconds, so it is pretty quick for some people. But I'm pretty sure this has been the way it's worked from day 1. Maybe you were also unable to start the car before the grace period expired. I know some people buckle up before hitting the brake pedal, and this would probably put me past the 30 seconds. I normally hit the brake pedal before buckling up though.

I really don't think this is new. I remember some very old discussions in the "Phone as Key Issues" thread (probably) whereby people finally gave up on using their phone but were complaining that they were not able to get into the vehicle, buckle up and start the car in the grace period. Granted, the grace period was (is?) only 30 seconds, so it is pretty quick for some people. But I'm pretty sure this has been the way it's worked from day 1. Maybe you were also unable to start the car before the grace period expired. I know some people buckle up before hitting the brake pedal, and this would probably put me past the 30 seconds. I normally hit the brake pedal before buckling up though.

I had to use card for 3 weeks as I was having account issues (like some of fellow TM3 users).. Yes I do bucle up but I drove BMW i3 for 30 months and the benefit of EV is you earn 2-3 seconds of turning on the car and hit drive :)

The delivery guy clearly told me that I need to have card on that spot and it was an unusual spot, so many times I tried to drive right away and would ask me to add card on the center console. Well anyways, concerns solved. Thanks for you guys!

Either you didn't notice, or you were really lagging behind in firmware updates, or there's something weird going on with your car. The first versions of the manual from last fall did say it was only a 15 second grace period, but it has been 2 minutes since at least as early as March 2018. I took delivery in April and it has worked like that since then.

Draftable Free Online Compare for Word, PDF, PowerPoint

Your delivery guy told you wrong if he said you had to keep the card in direct contact with the center console to allow driving. More likely you were experiencing the well-documented phone key problems and the car was prompting you for the card because of that. In any case, glad you figured it out.