Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my first coal roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I'm officially a Tesla owner now and it only took 2 weeks. I got my first coal roll at a stop light. Of course it was this jacked up POS Dodge truck. I wasn't offended at all and it feels like a right of passage. I'm sure it will be the first of many :cool:
Congrats, It has happened to me a three times and was very much directed with a side exit exhaust . Twice guys got on the brakes after spooling up the Turbo and I was blocked in front and behind so no where to go.
Didn't help the trucks must have had the fuel turned up because lots of billowing black.

I turned on Bio-defense mode.

To be fair I also have a 1 ton diesel and it is stock. I unintentionally coal rolled a Camaro one day with a ton of energy logs in the bed. Guy was approaching fast and I hammered the pedal to get moving and it smoked some. That is one of the after affects of getting in another rig after a Tesla when you hit the accelerator and it takes forever to get moving.

Reactions: Septocaine
Always seems like a weird term. Since if anything our Teslas are more likely to be fueled by coal than that diesel truck is. :)
They are here in Virginia.. even our natural gas comes from coal fields.. they actually sell thru the Virginia DMV, "Coal Powered" Licenses plates. I got one.. that is gonna blow their minds... can't wait to get my CT to show it off...

Reactions: livesmith
I feel like I'm officially a Tesla owner now and it only took 2 weeks. I got my first coal roll at a stop light. Of course it was this jacked up POS Dodge truck. I wasn't offended at all and it feels like a right of passage. I'm sure it will be the first of many :cool:
Congratulations lol. I got tons of coal rolls earlier on, but the frequency has died down since Teslas became ubiquitous around here, so now it's a rarity.

Reactions: Septocaine
I don't think there's a coal power plant online anywhere in the state of California. I've never had that happen to me; however, I've been known to roll coal, well roll biodiesel onto left-lane hogs who are holding up traffic. It gets them to move to the right about the half the time. We have 2 EVs and an old TDI, and a big ole Chevy Silverado Duramax.

seems like these lifted diesel trucks just love to puff smoke any chance they get lol
if i have room i quickly pass em n show em they got nothing on Tesla :)
Sometimes it pays to just let them be. If they feel they are bothering you, they win.

Adding pictures isn't working right now for me.

Insert clip of opening scene "Christmas Vacation" getting coal rolled and car under log truck.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't think there's a coal power plant online anywhere in the state of California. I've never had that happen to me; however, I've been known to roll coal, well roll biodiesel onto left-lane hogs who are holding up traffic. It gets them to move to the right about the half the time. We have 2 EVs and an old TDI, and a big ole Chevy Silverado Duramax.

Looks like all of Cali is rolling coal too...

Cali Electric Generation:
Coal: 17.4M Mega Watt Hours
Natural Gas: 10M Mega Watt Hours
"Renewables" 4.6 M Mega Watt Hours
Hydro: 1.6M Mega Watt Hours
Nuke: 1.4M Mega Watt Hours

The crazy part is your source fuel is the cheapest you can buy on the market but you pay between 50% to 137% higher than the national average for electric? Who is pocketing all this cash?

California’s net electricity imports were the largest in the country at 70.8 million megawatthours (MWh), or 25% of the state’s total electricity supply.

California utilities partly own and import power from several power plants in Arizona and Utah. In addition, California’s electricity imports include hydroelectric power from the Pacific Northwest, largely across high-voltage transmission lines running from Oregon to the Los Angeles area.

Attachments

• Cali Coal.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Looks like all of Cali is rolling coal too...

Cali Electric Generation:
Coal: 17.4M Mega Watt Hours
Natural Gas: 10M Mega Watt Hours
"Renewables" 4.6 M Mega Watt Hours
Hydro: 1.6M Mega Watt Hours
Nuke: 1.4M Mega Watt Hours

The crazy part is your source fuel is the cheapest you can buy on the market but you pay between 50% to 137% higher than the national average for electric? Who is pocketing all this cash?

California’s net electricity imports were the largest in the country at 70.8 million megawatthours (MWh), or 25% of the state’s total electricity supply.

California utilities partly own and import power from several power plants in Arizona and Utah. In addition, California’s electricity imports include hydroelectric power from the Pacific Northwest, largely across high-voltage transmission lines running from Oregon to the Los Angeles area.
That's weird. California Energy Commission is showing a very different picture. Less than 2.5% of the electricity mix is generated by coal; not even sure where the coal plants are too. I've seen nothing but nat. gas, solar farms, hydro, wind, two nuclear (1 of the has been decommissioned).

Where are these coal plants?

• Informative
They are using several coal fueled and NG fueled plants producing electricity in Arizona and Utah, and importing 70M Megawatts from:

Looks like the Native Americans have no issues with using coal and NG, as some of these are located on reservations. Navajo Generating Station - Wikipedia, closed in 2019.

Mine employment and royalties​

The Kayenta mine has 430 employees, and pays about $47 million per year in total wages.

Coal royalties are paid at 12.5% of gross proceeds, as on federal BLM lands.[73] The royalties and other mine payments amount to about $50 million per year, $37 million paid to the Navajo Nation and $13 million to the Hopi tribe.[39]: p

average salary of $109,302 per worker.. + $50M in royalties (AKA Profit)...I'm in the wrong business.

Last edited:
  • Informative