Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Questions (Avoid if newbies annoys you)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(we have 4 cars, but my sons claim the Tesla is the best of them all, which they pick every time)
WeatherTech floor mats and Windex make our 2017 Model S (grand)child-resilient. 100k miles, several years when the S was the primary vehicle for the grandchildren’s family while they were below 10 years of age. Now the oldest, in High School, plans to borrow it for a date this weekend.

While the Model S is, by far, the most expensive vehicle we’ve purchased, we believe the car works for us, not the other way around. Food and drink are allowed in front and back seats. We’ve used the car for IKEA and dump runs.

We also believe that keeping the car in good shape - timely maintenance and cleaning - allows it to provide satisfactory service for many years. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Picks aren't required, pretty sure new Teslas have a permanent jack pads
Oh shoot, I ordered them lol, I will go check under my 2024 and see.
IMG_4972.jpeg

IMG_4973.jpeg

Last edited:
I know tesla has all those cameras, but from what I understand they dont 'record' or saving the recording unless you beep the horn? Should I get a dashcam too? Or do I need to setup the 'built in' dashcam to do some kind of continuous loop without having the beep? (and my understanding is the most you can record is a 10 minute period?), what if I see something happened to the car days later and I want to go back and look at footage, it wont be there unless I get a 3rd party dash cam, right ?
A honk (if enabled in settings), or a touch of the dash cam icon in the screen will save the last 10 minutes of footage. That’s how you get coverage after an incident of interest. As long as you have a properly formatted thumb drive for the camera, all footage you “honk” or manually save will remain on the drive. When you press the dash cam icon on the screen you will see “launch viewer” which is how you can review all saved footage on the stick.

Reactions: ill_smo_q
Best mod to consider is the free online manual. Amazing how few people read the technology manual for a technology car. Explains most everything you would need to know.
I did try to 'read' the manual in the Tesla, in one of my 'wait on the kids for an hour' thing, and it wasnt as intuitive as I had hoped, but is that what you are talking about, is the one built into the car, or is there another one I should get?

I did try to 'read' the manual in the Tesla, in one of my 'wait on the kids for an hour' thing, and it wasnt as intuitive as I had hoped, but is that what you are talking about, is the one built into the car, or is there another one I should get?
I find the one in the car good for reference but not very good for full reading. The one online is much better via Tesla.com

I find the one in the car good for reference but not very good for full reading. The one online is much better via Tesla.com
Right, thats what I found out. Basically if you KNOW what you want to read about in the 'in car' manual, then you are fine. But if you are a NEWBIE like me, its not a 'open book and read' approach, so I found it mediocre at best on teaching me about stuff I didn't already know about. I'll jump on line to read the tesla.com one. Thanks for pointing that out!

Update: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/ (link for my other newbie friends)