Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear-ended with minor damage, bumper replacement or repaint ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Other person's insurance is going to Pay. We both have the Same Insurance Company. So initially I got a quote from Tesla it will cost $800 ( basically they will replace the bumper ). But Insurance insisted to go certified body shop which they are going to repaint and change one sensor and it will cost $1700 ( Which has roughly $900 Miscellaneous cost for the various test and they will match the paint not replace the bumper). I bought the car less than 3 weeks ago.

My Question what you guys would prefer to do? I am worried about the color matching part..tesla said it will match the color 100% because the car is only 3 weeks old..Tesla certified body shop also said it will match the color 100% with paint Job and just replacing the bumper won't match the color,.

Please advice.

Why go through all the hassle and work of repainting a damaged bumper?
If Tesla has a pre-painted new bumper, just get that. Should be a no-brained IMO.

Why does the other party want to go through insurance for $800 repair??

Tesla ships pre-painted bumpers and since it comes straight from the factory, I'd do that option if you can swing it. Surprised the Tesla did not charge extra for resetting the sensors. (when my D's Audi bumper was hit in a parking lot, Audi charged $850 alone just to recalibrate the sensors in the bumper. They said it was a safety thing, and the insurance paid it in full.)

I just went through this this same situation. Other driver at fault. They required I go to her insurance providers body shop (non Tesla) to get an estimate first. They estimated $750.00. They cut me a check. Because by law you have a choice where to take it for repairs, I told the adjuster I was going to Tesla and if it was more, they would pay the difference. They agreed. Took it to Tesla and in a little more than an hour, they replaced the rear bumper fascia with a pre-painted one $1156.00. Her insurance paid me the difference. In addition, I had to go back to work so her insurance had to pay for a rental. I have some pretty serious road rash on the front fascia, so after this exercise, I called Tesla and had them send me a quote for the front. $1156.00 for the front. I am going in on Tuesday to have it replaced. Don't bother with the body shops.

I just went through this this same situation. Other driver at fault. They required I go to her insurance providers body shop (non Tesla) to get an estimate first. They estimated $750.00. They cut me a check. Because by law you have a choice where to take it for repairs, I told the adjuster I was going to Tesla and if it was more, they would pay the difference. They agreed. Took it to Tesla and in a little more than an hour, they replaced the rear bumper fascia with a pre-painted one $1156.00. Her insurance paid me the difference. In addition, I had to go back to work so her insurance had to pay for a rental. I have some pretty serious road rash on the front fascia, so after this exercise, I called Tesla and had them send me a quote for the front. $1156.00 for the front. I am going in on Tuesday to have it replaced. Don't bother with the body shops.

Who is "they"? Her insurer?

Why did you not just call your own insurance company, and not waste your time dealing with their body shop. That is what you pay your insurer for.

Protip: By CA law, your insurer could not have raised your rates for an at-fault accident when the other person is at fault. (It's amazing to me why CA folks are scared to call their own agents after paying them thousands of dollars for 'service'.)