Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Car - Crappy Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything specific you are upset about? Probably plenty, but just curious what’s bugging you. Agreed, great car and some things that could be improved as a company.
Do I sound upset? I am not upset. I just think the company is almost comical in the way it handles itself. It seems like Elon, just say -"Hey lets do this!" and then they say they are doing it without actually thinking things through. He does not seem like a competent CEO as this stage of the game. This is not unusaul as the skills and temperament required to start a company like this and build it are the not the same as what it take to run a Public company.

Do I sound upset? I am not upset. I just think the company is almost comical in the way it handles itself. It seems like Elon, just say -"Hey lets do this!" and then they say they are doing it without actually thinking things through. He does not seem like a competent CEO as this stage of the game. This is not unusaul as the skills and temperament required to start a company like this and build it are the not the same as what it take to run a Public company.
Yes, which is fine, plenty of unhappy people. I was just curious what the compliant was.

How does a crappy company make a great car?

Happens all the time. Plenty of companies have had a great product but could not run the company well enough to capitalize on it. Tesla only survives right now because the product they brought to market is superior, but their competitors will catch up soon and once they do, if Tesla does not get handle one running the business they will fail.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy (I have the PSD Stealth so am definitely on the short end of the stick) I don’t see the issues unless you are talking about unless you mean pricing changes. But I don’t have a problem with it. I paid what I was comfortable with and got what I wanted.

Edit: unless I’m missing something and it isnt pricing.

• Funny
Reactions: juanmedina
Another person trying to gell a guy who has created multiple billion dollar companies how to run a business. i am sure he is reading this for your business advice!

What a boring and lazy response. I am sure you would say I have no right to an opinion on how the current president is running the USA, after all - I am not the president.

It's true that the company sometimes acts erratically, but I'd argue that also makes them incredibly nimble and dynamic, especially when compared with traditional automakers.

Sure, installing more suits and more lawyers might help Tesla function more like a normal car company. But put enough of those people in and you will have exactly that - a normal car company.

Reactions: Brisket5652
What a boring and lazy response. I am sure you would say I have no right to an opinion on how the current president is running the USA, after all - I am not the president.

not even close to an accurate comparison. elon is doing what he has proven he can do better than almsot anyone NUMEROUS TIMES. The president is just a popularity contest and does not require any previous proof of political success or knowledge (as trump proved)

It's true that the company sometimes acts erratically, but I'd argue that also makes them incredibly nimble and dynamic, especially when compared with traditional automakers.

Sure, installing more suits and more lawyers might help Tesla function more like a normal car company. But put enough of those people in and you will have exactly that - a normal car company.
All companies start out nimble and dynamic then over time become more beaurocratic. Ford was once a major disruptor in the industry. They revolutionized industry as a whole by inventing the assembly line. Then they matured, having to learn to cater to customer demand, economic instability, lawsuits, etc.

Companies don't last 100 years like Ford by remaining nimble and dynamic forever. They learn from their mistakes and create policies to avoid them. They mature their production and business to withstand market uncertainty. Tesla is in the middle of a transformation. They are evolving from the nimble and dynamic disruptor to a mainstream behemoth just like all other companies did before them. They will become more beaurocratic and more suits driven. It's only inevitable. It's messy, people get hurt, and the market becomes volatile while it happens. If they're lucky they'll make it through alive and well, and probably without Musk at the helm and a lot more suits. Unless you actually want them to fail.

All companies start out nimble and dynamic then over time become more beaurocratic. Ford was once a major disruptor in the industry. They revolutionized industry as a whole by inventing the assembly line. Then they matured, having to learn to cater to customer demand, economic instability, lawsuits, etc.

Companies don't last 100 years like Ford by remaining nimble and dynamic forever. They learn from their mistakes and create policies to avoid them. They mature their production and business to withstand market uncertainty. Tesla is in the middle of a transformation. They are evolving from the nimble and dynamic disruptor to a mainstream behemoth just like all other companies did before them. They will become more beaurocratic and more suits driven. It's only inevitable. It's messy, people get hurt, and the market becomes volatile while it happens. If they're lucky they'll make it through alive and well, and probably without Musk at the helm and a lot more suits. Unless you actually want them to fail.

That is all undoubtedly true, but hopefully that transition doesn't change the ethos of the company into another "make something sell something" just like all the rest. It probably will, and at that point, yes, I don't particularly care if they fail or not, just like I'm not particularly attached to any other car company.

I think the title says it all. Thank god the car is good or Tesla would have been dust long ago.

If only Elon would put his ego aside and put someone in place to run the company in a competent manner and let him focus on product innovation.

Have the products not been innovative enough for you?

Elon is an unconventional CEO, but I'd argue that's what it takes to do great things like what Elon and Tesla have done. Nobody else is even close on the EV front, and as an investor, I support him. Sure, there's room for improvement. There is room for improvement in every organization.

I look at Elon right now the same way I looked at Steve Jobs right before he got fired from Apple. We all knew Steve was brilliant but he was so disruptive that the company could not figure out how to maintain his genius presence and still run as a successful business.

Of course we know what happened when they brought Steve back years later. Maybe Elon will mature as a CEO and learn how to run a business. For now he’s spending other people’s money and has burned through billions of dollars to get to this point while only achieving a few profitable quarters. The story is too soon to know the final outcome, so it’s premature to be defending Elon or criticizing him.

I have stated before though, and I still agree, that he needs to hire someone to help him run the company. He should focus on product innovation, not business operations.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
Happens all the time. Plenty of companies have had a great product but could not run the company well enough to capitalize on it. Tesla only survives right now because the product they brought to market is superior, but their competitors will catch up soon and once they do, if Tesla does not get handle one running the business they will fail.

I'm sorry, but the competitors are the ones who can't get their acts together. Short sellers have been screaming "the competition is going to catch up, and when they do..." for the better part of a decade. Meanwhile, Tesla continues to advance its lead, continually improve its existing products and roll out new ones.