Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Car - Crappy Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say people underestimate Musk, and lose. I don't see the competition being able to outdo Tesla for years to come as Tesla is not done innovating. Possibly some company will make a battery breakthrough and/or charging breakthrough but that is Tesla's secret sauce that makes their car far superior to everyone else. This is not to mention FSD, but that is yet to come.

"I love the car but hate the company" - that's what I've been telling everyone.

Tesla's business practices are similar to those in emerging market countries. - Ruthless and chaotic

They could not have done a better job milking every dollar out of their customers.

Why can they do this? - There's no competition...for now.

Except I will remember the: 1) Pitiful customer service, 2) My car's constant rattles and poor build quality, and 3) How Tesla tricked me into paying for a nonexistent product by misleading me (into thinking I would pay more for FSD after delivery).

If Tesla continues to treat us in a transactional way, then they have lost my trust and my future business.

"I love the car but hate the company" - that's what I've been telling everyone.

Tesla's business practices are similar to those in emerging market countries. - Ruthless and chaotic

They could not have done a better job milking every dollar out of their customers.

Why can they do this? - There's no competition...for now.

Except I will remember the: 1) Pitiful customer service, 2) My car's constant rattles and poor build quality, and 3) How Tesla tricked me into paying for a nonexistent product by misleading me (into thinking I would pay more for FSD after delivery).

If Tesla continues to treat us in a transactional way, then they have lost my trust and my future business.
Oh the drama!

Sorry to hear. My experience has been that I got great cars nobody else had the guts to build. Occasional glitches but company proactive to fix. I read about all of these woes here, but hasn’t been my experience.

Tesla installed my spoiler yesterday, the one they sold to me 7 months ago.
Crappy is in the eye of the beholder. Half, like me, would see this as ridiculous incompetence, maybe even fraud. The other half would say ask what are we whining about, we got the spoiler and we are saving the world.

• Funny
Reactions: Mod3forMe
The fanboy'ism here is a bit over the top... I used to be all in on Tesla until they directly lied to me and screwed me out of $1k on my lease swap. As I tell people now, "Great cars, corrupt and incompetent company". There are a ton of examples on TMC of just how god awful Tesla is as a business... The evidence is literally everywhere... Incompetent employees, corrupt employees, a completely disorganized and discombobulated business model... One week, no retail stores, next week, retail stores are back but everyones price is going up to keep them... I mean seriously, who in the hell does that? Elon may be an innovator, a visionary, but he royally sucks at running a car company.

The moment a real, actual, competitor emerges Tesla is done. The damage they've done to their existing customer base is monumental and hasn't bit them yet because there's literally no place for someone like me to go. When that changes, I'm gone. This company couldn't walk and think about chewing gum at the same time, much less actually do it.

Jeff
I always get a kick when someone says “horribly run company” and then “they are in trouble once there’s competition”. Lemme see... they MADE a market that established entrants were not able to make. Now all of the established companies are committed to competing in it. And they are a horribly run company that can’t do anything right. Something wrong with that logic.

Each innovation has come with a flip side:

Frequent new features via software <> bugs, debatable prioritization, not everybody likes every change

Company owned sales, published transparent pricing, elimination of model year packaging/pricing <> all price changes are right out there, customers see when someone else offered better price.

I’d still rather see the innovations and be patient as the innovator tries to work out the kinks.

Last edited:
There are many examples of tech companies that created new markets, only to get run out of business by other companies that came along afterward and ran a better business. Palm lost out to Blackberry, which lost out to Apple and Google. Elon is a brilliant entrepreneur. A common trait among entrepreneurs is that they are great are starting new businesses but terrible at running and growing them. The good ones hire strong management to take over and move on to their next brilliant idea.

I always get a kick when someone says “horribly run company” and then “they are in trouble once there’s competition”. Lemme see... they MADE a market that established entrants were not able to make. Now all of the established companies are committed to competing in it. And they are a horribly run company that can’t do anything right. Something wrong with that logic.

Each innovation has come with a flip side:

Frequent new features via software <> bugs, debatable prioritization, not everybody likes every change

Company owned sales, published transparent pricing, elimination of model year packaging/pricing <> all price changes are right out there, customers see when someone else offered better price.

I’d still rather see the innovations and be patient as the innovator tries to work out the kinks.

No, you just refuse to see what's obviously right in front of you. Just look at the last couple of weeks... Tesla makes the boneheaded decision to get rid of galleries in favor of an online only model, now they're reversing that after it's become clear they didn't even think the original decision through first. Then there's the EAP/FSD pricing debacle where they did the RIGHT thing by lowering it and now are reversing it because some whiny entitled owners think they should. Both of those decisions came straight from Elon, does this seem like a well run business to you?

Tesla exists now only because they literally have zero competition. Sure there are other EVs but none with the range and DC fast charging network that Tesla has. When that changes, and you can be sure it eventually will, Tesla will evaporate nearly overnight as the rest of these companies actually know how to run a business and aren't fundamentally incompetent and corrupt.

Tesla - Great cars, incompetent and corrupt company...

Jeff

That’s a lot of whining, for $1,000.
How much have you saved in gas. ?
Your saving that money because of Elon and Tesla.
Yikes.

LOL... That's your ridiculous argument? Because I may have saved SOME, not much actually due to electricity prices, money on gas I should be okay with getting screwed out of $1K? No wonder Tesla thinks they can get away with anything, they have cult like owners who will excuse anything and everything they do...

I used to be one of you... Then I got to see the kind of company Tesla really is...

Jeff

When that changes, and you can be sure it eventually will, Tesla will evaporate nearly overnight as the rest of these companies actually know how to run a business and aren't fundamentally incompetent and corrupt.

Jeff

Well, I hope they don't evaporate overnight now that we are about to own two M3s. But I do see a couple of potential things happening down the road:

1) Tesla replaces Elon with a more experienced CEO. Maybe Elon sticks around in another role, maybe not.
2) Tesla gets purchased by another company.

I think they have enough of a market cap at this point that they won't just go out of business, but if they can't continue to maintain their lead in the EV space they may realize they are not big enough to survive without a merger/acquisition.

Well, I hope they don't evaporate overnight now that we are about to own two M3s. But I do see a couple of potential things happening down the road:

1) Tesla replaces Elon with a more experienced CEO. Maybe Elon sticks around in another role, maybe not.
2) Tesla gets purchased by another company.

I think they have enough of a market cap at this point that they won't just go out of business, but if they can't continue to maintain their lead in the EV space they may realize they are not big enough to survive without a merger/acquisition.

Tesla's market cap is largely built on emotion and that emotion will evaporate rapidly when the sales numbers begin to tank, which they absolutely will if Tesla doesn't quit operating like a hormonal teenager... I pulled all of my stock in Tesla and have made sure none of my retirement investments have any of their stock as well. The cliff will be brutal and quick and anyone invested in this company is playing with fire... Given how god awful Tesla has been over the past couple of years, and especially in the last couple of weeks, I'm surprised any investor with half a brain hasn't sold their stock... The Model Y is nothing more than a distraction tactic but it's having the desired effect.

As to what happens with Tesla, I predict they are bought out by either another tech company like Apple or they are bought out by one of the big 3 automakers. Either way, Tesla as we know it has an expiration date and I'd be surprised if that date doesn't hit before the next US Presidential election... That seems like an aggressive timeline I know but this company is fueled by emotion more than anything and it doesn't take very long for that emotion to evaporate...

Oh and I've stopped recommending Tesla to anyone that will listen, I've already cost them at least 3 sales maybe more.

Jeff

No, you just refuse to see what's obviously right in front of you. Just look at the last couple of weeks... Tesla makes the boneheaded decision to get rid of galleries in favor of an online only model, now they're reversing that after it's become clear they didn't even think the original decision through first. Then there's the EAP/FSD pricing debacle where they did the RIGHT thing by lowering it and now are reversing it because some whiny entitled owners think they should. Both of those decisions came straight from Elon, does this seem like a well run business to you?

Tesla exists now only because they literally have zero competition. Sure there are other EVs but none with the range and DC fast charging network that Tesla has. When that changes, and you can be sure it eventually will, Tesla will evaporate nearly overnight as the rest of these companies actually know how to run a business and aren't fundamentally incompetent and corrupt.

Jeff
I see it differently. Tesla envisions a way of operating with online sales only that will reduce cost of sales enough to make promised 35k car possible, and enable further competitive advantage. They pull trigger, then adapt. We are used to corporate cultures that winnow down innovation by analyzing the crap out of it before releasing lukewarm product. Tesla is guilty of launching innovation early and then figuring out the issues along the way. Some people hate that. I don’t mind it.

Reactions: Big Earl
The Model Y is nothing more than a distraction tactic
Given that the Model Y has been planned for years, I find your analysis wanting.
I've stopped recommending Tesla to anyone that will listen,
At current pricing I think TSLA is a bargain and I recommend it.

The Model 3 has now proven that there is strong demand for a high quality long range EV sedan at a higher ASP than anything offered by the other manufacturers; so far what they are selling in that segment has had no impact on Model 3 sales.

The mid-size sedan market category is not where the bulk of new car demand comes from, at least in the US. That would be the compact SUV and truck segment. The Model Y will address the former, and will very likely sell even better than the 3. The upcoming Tesla Truck will address the latter.

In a few years Tesla will be producing and selling far more vehicles than it is today. With volume comes profits. Tesla’s future looks bright.

Reactions: Big Earl
I see it differently. Tesla envisions a way of operating with online sales only that will reduce cost of sales enough to make promised 35k car possible, and enable further competitive advantage. They pull trigger, then adapt. We are used to corporate cultures that winnow down innovation by analyzing the crap out of it before releasing lukewarm product. Tesla is guilty of launching innovation early and then figuring out the issues along the way. Some people hate that. I don’t mind it.
That's the thing though. You may not mind it but the public at large is highly resistent to change and the kind of erratic behavior Tesla exhibits, whether good or bad, is what will prevent them from becoming a truly mainstream company. As I've said before you don't become a behemoth like VW or Ford by running the company like a startup forever. The market simply doesnt allow for it.

We have a clear example of how a technology company needs to evolve to enter the mainstream and last in Apple. Tesla can either grow up and mature as a company, becoming more beaurocratic and less "innovative" in order to stabilize their product and services and grow to be a permanent presence in the industry or they can keep doing what they are doing.

If they continue on their path somone else is going to eventually build a better, cheaper car that is more accessible to the public at large. And by accessible I don't mean fun or easy to drive with lots of fancy tech. I mean its something your grandma will drive, a car that doesnt randomly change behavior from a buggy OTA update. One that doesn't give range anxiety. It'll be a car company that takes care of their customers first, before worrying about how to push innovative ideas and FSD capability.

At that point Tesla will remain what it is today, a small niche market company with a lot of rabid followers that build a great product unsuitable for mass market consumption. Always teetering on the brink of bankruptcy just like Apple was in the mid nineties.

Last edited:
LOL... That's your ridiculous argument? Because I may have saved SOME, not much actually due to electricity prices, money on gas I should be okay with getting screwed out of $1K? No wonder Tesla thinks they can get away with anything, they have cult like owners who will excuse anything and everything they do...

I used to be one of you... Then I got to see the kind of company Tesla really is...

Jeff

Ha Ha.
It’s less ridiculous than whining over something you willingly paid for, and now want compensation for, because prices changed.

Happens all the time. Plenty of companies have had a great product but could not run the company well enough to capitalize on it. Tesla only survives right now because the product they brought to market is superior, but their competitors will catch up soon and once they do, if Tesla does not get handle one running the business they will fail.
OK, so where are they? Show me one...just ONE electric vehicle that is being manufactured today at volume for the same price, with similar features, with a charging network, that is even in the same ballpark with the Model 3 in terms of sales? Look, I get what you're saying...sort of. However, Tesla is far, far from a crappy company. They are a fantastic company that is being run differently from the norm, no doubt. I just got an update to my car that is amazing. Do you think any other company would have thought to be able to do that the way they run things? No, they wouldn't. Would they have thought to look into alternate forms of propulsion the way they run their companies? No, not in any serious way. Tesla's impulsive nature is one of the things that has led them to where they are. Yes, it causes headaches from time to time, but we all knew what we were getting into.

Dan

OK, so where are they? Show me one...just ONE electric vehicle that is being manufactured today at volume for the same price, with similar features, with a charging network, that is even in the same ballpark with the Model 3 in terms of sales? Look, I get what you're saying...sort of. However, Tesla is far, far from a crappy company. They are a fantastic company that is being run differently from the norm, no doubt. I just got an update to my car that is amazing. Do you think any other company would have thought to be able to do that the way they run things? No, they wouldn't. Would they have thought to look into alternate forms of propulsion the way they run their companies? No, not in any serious way. Tesla's impulsive nature is one of the things that has led them to where they are. Yes, it causes headaches from time to time, but we all knew what we were getting into.

Dan

That's the WHOLE FREAKING POINT... There is no equivalent competition right now... We all know and recognize this. The point is that once there is, and make no mistake there absolutely will be, Tesla will die a quick and abrupt death.

You're completely missing the point simply because you can get OTA software updates doesn't mean Tesla is a "fantastic company"... Good lord... Tesla is a horribly run company with incompetent and corrupt employees, and the evidence of this is literally all over TMC.. You just have to open your eyes and look... I get it, it's the "didn't happen to me" syndrome so you got lucky, good for you.

Jeff

That's the WHOLE FREAKING POINT... There is no equivalent competition right now... We all know and recognize this. The point is that once there is, and make no mistake there absolutely will be, Tesla will die a quick and abrupt death.

You're completely missing the point simply because you can get OTA software updates doesn't mean Tesla is a "fantastic company"... Good lord... Tesla is a horribly run company with incompetent and corrupt employees, and the evidence of this is literally all over TMC.. You just have to open your eyes and look... I get it, it's the "didn't happen to me" syndrome so you got lucky, good for you.

Jeff
Relax dude, it's all good. You see it your way, I see it mine. What I think you may be missing is that in the time it will take for any real competition to reveal itself, where will Tesla be. They are certainly not sitting stagnant. It is their "walk a different path" attitude that keeps them ahead of the curve. In some cases...WAY ahead of the curve. Also, we are not even considering where their energy business will be by then. Nobody is so vertically integrated. Nobody is so diverse. This is of course just my opinion. You are welcome to disagree.

Dan

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01
Given that the Model Y has been planned for years, I find your analysis wanting.
At current pricing I think TSLA is a bargain and I recommend it.

The Model 3 has now proven that there is strong demand for a high quality long range EV sedan at a higher ASP than anything offered by the other manufacturers; so far what they are selling in that segment has had no impact on Model 3 sales.

The mid-size sedan market category is not where the bulk of new car demand comes from, at least in the US. That would be the compact SUV and truck segment. The Model Y will address the former, and will very likely sell even better than the 3. The upcoming Tesla Truck will address the latter.

In a few years Tesla will be producing and selling far more vehicles than it is today. With volume comes profits. Tesla’s future looks bright.

With all due respect, and I really mean that and am not saying it sarcastically, you really need to take off the rose colored goggles... Tesla's future looks anything but bright... The evidence available to support my position is astounding, just look at the last two weeks as an example. Tesla exists because it's literally the only game in town, which is great as long as that's the case. Elon needs to find someone who knows how to run a car company, and fast. His erratic behavior is no longer a strength, it's a glaring and crippling weakness. Everything about Tesla sucks right now... From outright lying to customers, to having a service department that's so woefully over worked that I can't even get them to reply to an email anymore much less answer their phones. Not to mention every time I take my Tesla in for service it comes back with a new set of scratches that Tesla acts like they didn't cause. I won't even bother with service anymore unless something is truly broken as the car comes back worse than it was when I took it in.

I used to be a huge Tesla fan, defended Tesla rigorously and was called a fanboy here so many times it's crazy... Now that I've see how this company really works, buyer beware...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: ftlum and Matt L