Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greater than normal battery degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nov/Dec 2017 Model S 75D with almost exactly 17,000 miles. I’ve noted that in the last 2,000 miles my 100% has dropped down to 242 miles from 253 (and 257 when new). This is more than 5% degradation. I’ve been keeping the batteries fairly well balanced due to needing to charge to 100% about once every month or two for longer road trips. I charge daily to about 80%, which has dropped from 203 down to 194. I know it’s winter now, but it seems like a big drop.

Thoughts/reassurance? Am I nuts?

I would say just watch it, I will sometimes drop to 69.8 if not at 90% but the battery really hasn't loss any since 6k miles. You're mileage is 4k over mine so who knows what that will do to my pack.

I've only supercharged 31 times, not sure if this factors into your charging patterns.

Last edited:
I have 130k on my S. I have 2 settings, Local 75% is about 175mile. Going on long trip, 90% 235miles. I have supercharged all over USA.
There are too many variables to figure out your degradation. Temp, altitude, etc.
Dont worry about it till your car is broken in. :).

I have a Nov/Dec 2017 Model S 75D with almost exactly 17,000 miles. I’ve noted that in the last 2,000 miles my 100% has dropped down to 242 miles from 253 (and 257 when new). This is more than 5% degradation. I’ve been keeping the batteries fairly well balanced due to needing to charge to 100% about once every month or two for longer road trips. I charge daily to about 80%, which has dropped from 203 down to 194. I know it’s winter now, but it seems like a big drop.

Thoughts/reassurance? Am I nuts?
My Model S is 2014 P85D, 50k. New to me. Just let it charge to 100% first time, it stopped at 93%. Does this mean it has lost 7%? Also, I’ve had the charge limit set to 90% is this right?

My Model S is 2014 P85D, 50k. New to me. Just let it charge to 100% first time, it stopped at 93%. Does this mean it has lost 7%? Also, I’ve had the charge limit set to 90% is this right?
To the first question, no, when you set at 100% charge it should charge to 100%. The relevant info is what rated range does it show at 100%. To the second question, yes set to 90% charge routinely and 100% for trips. Others may tell you less (70 or 80%) for theoretical reasons of “being better for the battery” but there’s not been significantly more degradation after five years at 90% than at lower states of charge.

I don’t know why your car stopped short of the percentage charge you set.

To the first question, no, when you set at 100% charge it should charge to 100%. The relevant info is what rated range does it show at 100%. To the second question, yes set to 90% charge routinely and 100% for trips. Others may tell you less (70 or 80%) for theoretical reasons of “being better for the battery” but there’s not been significantly more degradation after five years at 90% than at lower states of charge.

I don’t know why your car stopped short of the percentage charge you set.
Thank you. This helps a lot. Happy motoring.

So a bit over a year ago when I bought my P85 with 65k on it full was 257/8 down from 265new over the last year and change of shallow doschadis and charging to 70-80% 100% dropped to 237/8 so I drained it down to 7% and charged to 100% and it rebounded to 243. Going to try a few more cycles as schedule allows.