Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Or Silver Turbine Wheels?

On a Black exterior MS : Grey or Silver 21 inch Turbine

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My vote's obvious. Some pix to help you out

Attachments

• IMG_1589.PNG
    IMG_1589.PNG
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1590.PNG
    IMG_1590.PNG
    901.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1591.PNG
    IMG_1591.PNG
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1592.PNG
    IMG_1592.PNG
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 187
BEAUTIFUL. Leaning toward grey for sure after seeing those pictures. Thanks for the input!
Thanks! All but the last rear shot was taken on the fly, but it gives a decent idea. Keep in mind, you can always have wheels done in the color and finish you like for probably $500-$700 down the line (think shadow/black chrome, also looks amazing), so don't sweat the permanence of it. Albeit I couldn't fathom you wanting to refinish grey wheels in silver if you're even considering grey in the first place.
Anyone have a solid confirmation on the type of black?
I need to know because I will be buying a new model S soon.
You're in the same boat I was when I was originally considering between the two colors. I made my OA take me to the service center where they had both colors and looked at them in person and under different lights. I've always loved solid black, and I can say now without hesitation, I would do obsidian black metallic over and over again.

It's just a great take on your classic black. And in my opinion you get the best of both worlds. It looks solid black in most lights (such as the low light of that video, obsidian would look very much solid), but when the sun hits it it just dazzles with awesome metallics and rich colors hues depending on how the light is hitting it, such as time of day and the sun's positioning.

Again, best to go look at the two colors side-by-side. I hope I've helped.

tl;dr—thanks black_p85--get obsidian T3xrr

Thanks! All but the last rear shot was taken on the fly, but it gives a decent idea. Keep in mind, you can always have wheels done in the color and finish you like for probably $500-$700 down the line (think shadow/black chrome, also looks amazing), so don't sweat the permanence of it. Albeit I couldn't fathom you wanting to refinish grey wheels in silver if you're even considering grey in the first place.

You're in the same boat I was when I was originally considering between the two colors. I made my OA take me to the service center where they had both colors and looked at them in person and under different lights. I've always loved solid black, and I can say now without hesitation, I would do obsidian black metallic over and over again.

It's just a great take on your classic black. And in my opinion you get the best of both worlds. It looks solid black in most lights (such as the low light of that video, obsidian would look very much solid), but when the sun hits it it just dazzles with awesome metallics and rich colors hues depending on how the light is hitting it, such as time of day and the sun's positioning.

Again, best to go look at the two colors side-by-side. I hope I've helped.

tl;dr—thanks black_p85--get obsidian T3xrr

Thanks. That was super helpful. I think I'm leaning towards obsidian also. The video you saw really made me like black model S. I was thinking its obsidian in the video.

Reactions: Mickie
Thanks. That was super helpful. I think I'm leaning towards obsidian also. The video you saw really made me like black model S. I was thinking its obsidian in the video.
Cool, glad to help. Also forgot to mention that you can get away with being lazy between washes as obsidian hides light filth vs solid black which is extremely unforgiving.

Shot in the dark, but if you need a referral for that $1,000 off with free supercharging, you can use My Tesla Referral Code. Myself or any of the fine folks here would be honored if you used ours. Feel free to hit me up here or in PMs with any other questions.

Cool, glad to help. Also forgot to mention that you can get away with being lazy between washes as obsidian hides light filth vs solid black which is extremely unforgiving.

Shot in the dark, but if you need a referral for that $1,000 off with free supercharging, you can use My Tesla Referral Code. Myself or any of the fine folks here would be honored if you used ours. Feel free to hit me up here or in PMs with any other questions.

Thanks. That is a kind deed. I really appreciate it.
I do have one more quick question. Does smart air suspension allow adjustments in car height from stock upward, or lowering as well?
In other words, is the car normally lower and it only adjust upward or is it both ways?
I hope this makes sense.

I think the 21" silvers look really bad on the black Model S. The base silver 19s look better to me. My favorite would be 19" grey turbine wheels, but I'm thinking about powder coating my slipstreams charcoal grey.

I prefer the solid black exterior over the obsidian. The obsidian looks like a dusty solid black car to me. I would put the savings towards a full Xpel wrap, unless I was leasing or only planning on keeping the car for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Thanks. That is a kind deed. I really appreciate it.
I do have one more quick question. Does smart air suspension allow adjustments in car height from stock upward, or lowering as well?
In other words, is the car normally lower and it only adjust upward or is it both ways?
I hope this makes sense.
It's both ways. There's Standard; from there it's two settings up--High and Very High--and one setting down, Low. You can also set the car to automatically adjust to Low once you exceed a predetermined speed. I'm sure your OA explained about GPS based suspension-raising to combat steep inclines/ declines as well.

Raising the suspension is also nice for deep snow and such, just mind that the car will start adjusting downward towards Standard once you pick up speed. I.e. you can't cruise around at 50mph in Very High.