Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid profile recommendation--48 IQ8PLUS-72-2 US Microinverters w/Two PW2s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the recommendation these days for a grid profile with a quick restart (less than the 5 mins of the IEEE 1547 default profile) for use with the IQ8 microinverters and the Powerwalls?

I'm using USVI-IQ PW2 right now as it has a 10 sec reconnect time and it seems to be ok, but is there anything better? I've tried the PREPA off-grid frequency watt 83/Hz, and it seemed ok, but when running off-grid on a sunny day my production was all over the place, even with the Powerwalls having a low charge.

I also tried "Louisiana-IQ PW2" and that seemed to be ok, but then always shut production down completely the next day.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the reply. With the grid connected. The only way I can get the Microinverters to start producing again is to change the profile and then wait until the next day.

If it's grid connected then it's probably not related to PW. To be certain, you can shutoff the grid breaker and see if the micros work better/differently with the just PW's. Also, what do you see in the Enphase event log?

I have iq7 inverters and have been running on the IEEE 1547 default profile, but would a soft curtail profile for when running off grid.
I wonder if your issue is a iq8 only issue? Are you monitoring frequency while off grid? That would be the only powerwall “input”.
Seems like the inverters are not able to push power to the powerwalls.
Are your CT’s configured correctly and work correctly?

Last edited:
I have iq7 inverters and have been running on the IEEE 1547 default profile, but would a soft curtail profile for when running off grid.
I wonder if your issue is a iq8 only issue? Are you monitoring frequency while off grid? That would be the only powerwall “input”.
Seems like the inverters are not able to push power to the powerwalls.
Are your CT’s configured correctly and work correctly?
Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm monitoring the frequency while off grid. When the PW2s are at 100%, or in the 90s, my frequency is at 62.5, then it slowly tapers down after that.

I went thru the logs today, and noticed on the days when I switched to the Louisiana profile (and was still generating power), the microinverters reported "Pcu Chan Loss of Phase 12". The next day, they would not produce regardless of what I tried (changing grid profile, turning off breakers, etc) and reported "Device produced no power".

On the 3rd day (since I had reverted to a standard grid profile) everything was up and running. Yes, I believe my CTs are configured correctly.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm monitoring the frequency while off grid. When the PW2s are at 100%, or in the 90s, my frequency is at 62.5, then it slowly tapers down after that.

I went thru the logs today, and noticed on the days when I switched to the Louisiana profile (and was still generating power), the microinverters reported "Pcu Chan Loss of Phase 12". The next day, they would not produce regardless of what I tried (changing grid profile, turning off breakers, etc) and reported "Device produced no power".

On the 3rd day (since I had reverted to a standard grid profile) everything was up and running. Yes, I believe my CTs are configured correctly.
One more thing, when reviewing the Grid reports, I noticed for the Louisiana one that this was set to "Yes". I haven't seen that in any of the other profiles I've looked at.

"Loss of phase detection enabled Yes"

If it's grid connected then it's probably not related to PW. To be certain, you can shutoff the grid breaker and see if the micros work better/differently with the just PW's. Also, what do you see in the Enphase event log?
Yes, I can shutoff the grid breaker and production seems nice and smooth. It ramps back up very quickly (in a few seconds) and starts charging the PW2s. On some of the other profiles I tried, production was bouncing all over the place.

I dont understand what you want here. You dont want to use the utility required grid settings? If you are missing 4 minutes and 50 seconds of production, I would consider why you are missing this production? You shouldn't be bumping into the frequency shift limit all that often, if you are just use a little more power or charge your car?

What you are doing is not what an average user is supposed to be doing.

I dont understand what you want here. You dont want to use the utility required grid settings? If you are missing 4 minutes and 50 seconds of production, I would consider why you are missing this production? You shouldn't be bumping into the frequency shift limit all that often, if you are just use a little more power or charge your car?

What you are doing is not what an average user is supposed to be doing.
Thank you for your feedback, but I believe most users on this board probably aren’t “average”.

You’re right..4 or 5 minutes don’t really matter, but I do enjoy learning about how the system works, tweaking it, and comparing my experiences with others on here. If you do a search on here, there have been many discussions about grid profiles, but mostly with IQ7 microinverters, and not the 8s.

Thank you for your feedback, but I believe most users on this board probably aren’t “average”.

You’re right..4 or 5 minutes don’t really matter, but I do enjoy learning about how the system works, tweaking it, and comparing my experiences with others on here. If you do a search on here, there have been many discussions about grid profiles, but mostly with IQ7 microinverters, and not the 8s.
I was just asking what problem you are trying to solve?

I'm not trying to offend, but as an installer it's a bit disturbing that customers go into the system and change something like the grid profile without knowing what they are doing. Obviously Im not your installer, but I'm trying to be helpful. Frequencywatt 83 hz sounds pretty bad but maybe you mistyped as 63 hz?

Reactions: BGbreeder
Yes, I can shutoff the grid breaker and production seems nice and smooth. It ramps back up very quickly (in a few seconds) and starts charging the PW2s. On some of the other profiles I tried, production was bouncing all over the place.

So, you only have the problem on-grid with the "Louisiana-IQ PW2" grid profile? Do you see any other errors besides loss of phase? I wonder if the profile setting for reconnect voltage threshold is off for your grid.

It appears the default IEEE 1547 profile works for you on-grid and off-grid aside from the 5 minute reconnect time?

You can also try the CA Rule 21 grid profile with "no-AI" in the title. It has fast reconnect setting but not sure if it would work off-grid with iQ8. As you have seen, iQ8's can be quite picky off-grid.

Im certain that 83hz is a typo, s/b 63hz.
Iq8 inverters can act as both a current power supply and a voltage power supply, but they should never go into voltage mode unless connected to enphase gateway and commanded to do so. But seems like they did and weren’t able to charge powerwall.
But I’m interested in thread, as I’m looking for advice on a better profile that has soft curtail and quicker reconnect time is a plus.

Im certain that 83hz is a typo, s/b 63hz.
Iq8 inverters can act as both a current power supply and a voltage power supply, but they should never go into voltage mode unless connected to enphase gateway and commanded to do so. But seems like they did and weren’t able to charge powerwall.
But I’m interested in thread, as I’m looking for advice on a better profile that has soft curtail and quicker reconnect time is a plus.
When you reach out Enphase, what do they say is the recommended grid code? I am not sure when quick reconnect became something people were seeking. A much better strategy is to prevent the curtailment from happening so often, rather than hack the grid code.

What are you trying to get? Just a quicker reconnect time? You realize that Tesla sees and records each time the system was re-comissioned. If there is some warranty issue, they may question why the warranty issue, especially seeing the grid code was played with. Its something that otherwise never changes more than once or maybe twice.

If you are curtialing pv production, it would indicate you are off grid, and you have an abundance of PV, such that the batteries cand loads an't take it all.

So assuming you do not have a large EV battery to charge to take some of that power, or an HVAC to run to pre-cool/pre-heat the home to take some of the power, why are you worrying about whether the PV came on 5 minutes sooner since you have an oversupply? If the PV comes on 5 minutes sooner without change to your home demand, that just means it will go back into curtail mode sooner because you still have oversupply of PV.

Also, your other electronic devices don't like to see higher than 63 Hz, and 63 is really their limit. Some devices (insteon) are more sensitive. So in your scenario, your home will be experiencing an out of frequency signal more often, because you want to produce PV sooner and therefore get back to the 63 Hz signal to turn off the PV sooner.

The wild card here is what is your Powerwall system frequency set at? Almost all systems are set to shift to 65 Hz out of the gate and your installer can call tier 2 and have them change the frequency signal if the existing PV equipment will recognize a 62-63 Hz shutoff signal.

Also, your other electronic devices don't like to see higher than 63 Hz, and 63 is really their limit. Some devices (insteon) are more sensitive. So in your scenario, your home will be experiencing an out of frequency signal more often, because you want to produce PV sooner and therefore get back to the 63 Hz signal to turn off the PV sooner.

The wild card here is what is your Powerwall system frequency set at? Almost all systems are set to shift to 65 Hz out of the gate and your installer can call tier 2 and have them change the frequency signal if the existing PV equipment will recognize a 62-63 Hz shutoff signal.
Now I see why you were concerned about "83 Hz". You have misunderstanding of Enphase grid profile names. The "83 Hz" and "63 Hz" refer to 83% and 63% power curtailment per Hz over the upper frequency threshold respectively.

So you are saying that 83 hz in this context means per hertz, that 83% of power is curtailed?
Yes. It basically sets the power vs frequency curve curtailment slope.
So at 61 hz, the pv system puts out just 17% of its output?
Only if you set the uppper frequency threshold at 60Hz which is not typical. 60.2Hz is a common setpoint for start of curtailment.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines