Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

grinding noise after plug in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your Service Center is mistaken, IMHO. My NEW car picked up year end '16 did it right off the car carrier, unless they're suggesting enough debris managed to lodge in there during the cross country trip. :rolleyes:

Funny how the noise is hardly noticeable now that it's warmer. Must have "cleaned" itself...
I agree, but what can I do? They said they couldn't duplicate the noise when my car was at the Service Center.

I agree, but what can I do? They said they couldn't duplicate the noise when my car was at the Service Center.

Kneel down in front of the offending side grill, and shoot a video while someone else unlocks the car, or charge port, or whatever you find caused the damper door(s) to activate. Show said manager the video. Refer him/her to this thread, or better yet, Kate's video. Surprised by now there's no service note to all service centers RE the issue...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Kneel down in front of the offending side grill, and shoot a video while someone else unlocks the car, or charge port, or whatever you find caused the damper door(s) to activate. Show said manager the video. Refer him/her to this thread, or better yet, Kate's video. Surprised by now there's no service note to all service centers RE the issue...
I did refer them to Kate's video. They said that her conclusion in the video is wrong. I can't duplicate the issue now that it's warm. My car would only make the noise when the HVB was cold enough to need heating.

Wrong conclusion? Odd, since her service center found the root cause to be a protrusion in the damper that was rubbing on the enclosure and that that was producing the noise. She stated that buried down in the comments section on Youtube.

Mine also only has the problem when cold. Figured by the time I'm ready for it's 12K visit I'll have them address it then.

Here, I'll do the heavy lifting for you. :)

Kate's comments on Youtube:

"Hi, don't be put off. Actually having previously worked for JLR I can assure you that they also have many teething issues. Tesla ironed this one straight out for us. The fault was a burr on a diversion vein in an air box. It would be a shame to not buy a Tesla on this account, we wouldn't buy another make of car again."

And:

"If it reassures you it's due to 0.5mm of plastic burr on the base of the vein rubbing against the air box. The noise is resonated due to it being a box full of air that makes it sound a lot more serious than it is. Tesla are fixing these but I think they have a few on the list. It won't damage anything else or cause anymore probs until it's fixed though"

--

Wrong conclusion? Odd, since her service center found the root cause to be a protrusion in the damper that was rubbing on the enclosure and that that was producing the noise.
I agree. All sorts of ppl post all these fantastic Service Center experiences, but my experience with the Service Center has been the exact opposite. Many local Tesla owners post great Service Center experiences on our local Tesla Facebook group, but my experience with them has been the opposite. I don't get it. The Ford dealership did a better job of customer service when I had to bring my Focus Electric in for warranty work than how Tesla has treated me.