Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok - I'm done installing mine successfully. I followed a combination of the instructions that were provided by the manufacturer (which are terrible):

Tesla Model 3 electric tailgate installation instructions | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

And this YouTube video:

I wasn't anticipating having to remove the bumper to do this installation, so it was more work than I originally thought. Going through the firewall was really not a big deal at all because you're just going through a rubber grommet that's already there. I didn't use the 1/2" bit like suggested in the video. I used a much smaller bit and then shoved the power connection through so it makes a nice tight seal. Really, running the power was actually the easiest part even though I thought it would be the hardest. Also note you need to remove the plastic piece under the passenger side dash to get to that grommet where you need to drill through. I already knew how to do that from having to replace the air filters. If you need help with that step, just find one of the videos on replacing the air filters and it will show you how to pop that piece off.

Also, my kit cable with an extra button and an extra cable which apparently I don't need unless I want to use the second button. It doesn't look like you need to connect the CAN-H or CAN-L connectors and I never figured out what the Yellow wire is for. Here is the cable that I ended up not using:

View attachment 466030

In order to get the car to think the trunk is always closed so that I can close the trunk from inside the car or from the app (by clicking OPEN when it's already open) I had to make one modification. There is a blue wire on the harness that goes to the existing trunk latch that needs to be removed from the harness. This is not documented anywhere. I'm not sure if maybe some kits come with this wire already removed?

View attachment 466031

Once that wire was removed, I could control open and close from inside the car.

Also worth mentioning is that with the default settings, it wouldn't close at all. You need to increase the closing power setting to 5 to get it to close properly. In order to do this, you need to use a screwdriver and put it in the latch so that the box thinks the trunk is closed, then hold the little black button on the controller until it beeps 5 times I think. I had to increase the speed setting as well by holding down the trunk close button. These steps are outlined in the written documentation link at the top of this post, but the english is not great, so it might be confusing.

Overall I'm very happy with the final results, even if it did take the better part of a day to get it done.

FYI and I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the non-CANBUS system tricks the car into thinking the trunk is always closed. The result is the lights in the trunk not turning on. When you first open or close to trunk you may see the light flash on for about a second. As far as I know, there are no fixes for this yet.

Just got mine delivered. Upon inspection I found a cut white wire from harness (looks like it plugs into the module)

Can somebody tell me if that is supposed to be cut?!?

Tia
15713515562881570377564092274520.jpg

The “fixed” product/solution is they simply cut the wiring right before each connector, so you can easily run the wires through the conduit. Here is a photo that William at Hansshow just sent to me. Once you run the wires to where they need to go, you have to reconnect the wires yourself using the method/type of your choice. So, you’ll need to have some wire connectors handy. Thankfully, all the wires are color coded, so matching up & reconnecting the correct wires together should be very easy/straightforward.

I have not received my kits yet. But was told it has shipped. I ordered both trunk & frunk kits back on September 26. Waiting patiently with no complaints about the length of time. To put things into perspective, I waited over 2 months to get my order from Jeda.... and Hansshow has been far, far more responsive to my questions. Relax people!!!

View attachment 467201

@GreenHokie,

So.....I’ve received both kits (Frunk & Trunk) but was out of the country and haven’t popped the boxes yet...prob tomorrow if I have time. So what your saying and William is saying is that basically the “fixed wire product” Is actually them ‘cutting’ the clip wires and sending it ‘detached’ and it’s then up to us to ‘reconnect’ it after the conduit run via either soldering or a clip method. Correct? So in essence...these kits that were already sent out (and I’m assuming probably also including mine which don’t have the ‘fixed clip” which should have but weren’t and are joined) essentially just have to be “clipped”/conduit run/and then re-soldered. Sound right?

OR! As @not4antoher shows.......detach the hat run the conduit and reattach....looks simple enough.

Ski

Last edited:
FYI and I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the non-CANBUS system tricks the car into thinking the trunk is always closed. The result is the lights in the trunk not turning on. When you first open or close to trunk you may see the light flash on for about a second. As far as I know, there are no fixes for this yet.

@iWeasel410,

Wait.....wait....wait....hold on. You mean with this mod I’lL have NO Trunk lighting at all? Can this be correct? That’s a deal breaker for me. Please verify this. Or let us know if they are atleast working on a Fix.

I just What’s Appd Stephen/William at HansShow re: this issue....I’ll let you all know what I hear.

Ski

Last edited:
Reactions: woodisgood
Another thing I want mention,
Those who install the kit by them self.
Please, turn off the vehicle and disconnect 12v negative cable, and also DISCONNECT main 12v cable from high voltage battery pack. If you don’t disconnect that cable 12v current still alive even though you disconnect 12v negative cable.
7ABC7F31-E119-4EDB-9620-8318C41898AF.jpeg
C7E02E88-3E80-40CF-BF79-F5FD0A347AEC.jpeg

@GreenHokie,

So.....I’ve received both kits (Frunk & Trunk) but was out of the country and haven’t popped the boxes yet...prob tomorrow if I have time. So what your saying and William is saying is that basically the “fixed wire product” Is actually them ‘cutting’ the clip wires and sending it ‘detached’ and it’s then up to us to ‘reconnect’ it after the conduit run via either soldering or a clip method. Correct? So in essence...these kits that were already sent out (and I’m assuming probably also including mine which don’t have the ‘fixed clip” which should have but weren’t and are joined) essentially just have to be “clipped”/conduit run/and then re-soldered. Sound right?

Ski

Hello Ski. Yes, that is correct. Judging by the photos that William sent to me, Hansshow simply cuts the wires right before the connectors. Once you're done running those bare wires, you will have to re-attach the two wire ends yourself. So, unlike the TeslaOffer wiring harness/kit, Hansshow does not pre-install quick clips for us. Not a big deal in my mind. Personally, I think a soldered connection (combined with a shrink tube) is more reliable/secure than a clip.

Yes, you can also just unclip the wires at the connector. However, if Hansshow has already cut the wires for us, then you definitely would not want to fool around with the removing the clips/connector since you'll have to re-attach the bare wires anyway... No point in doing both!!

Looking forward to receiving and installing mine. I love tinkering and taking things apart!!!

Last edited:
@Garlan Garner — for some reason unknown to me, I am unable to start a conversation with you; my power trunk kit arrived today—if you’re still interested in providing some guidance on the installation side of things, would you please reach out to me so we can establish next steps. Thank you.

Does anyone know if its allowed to post email addresses or phone numbers in TMC?

@iWeasel410,

Wait.....wait....wait....hold on. You mean with this mod I’lL have NO Trunk lighting at all? Can this be correct? That’s a deal breaker for me. Please verify this. Or let us know if they are atleast working on a Fix.

I just What’s Appd Stephen/William at HansShow re: this issue....I’ll let you all know what I hear.

Ski

Wow—no trunk lights? Really? All the write-ups and reviews and this is the first we’re hearing about this? For those who have already installed THIS kit, would you please confirm—lights or no lights?!? Thanks.

Yes, the trunk lights do not work, I've already reported it. Anyone with the kit can confirm this as long as the touchscreen trunk button stays on open, if it doesn't grey out, no trunk lights.

• Disagree
Reactions: silentcorp
Yes, the trunk lights do not work, I've already reported it. Anyone with the kit can confirm this as long as the touchscreen trunk button stays on open, if it doesn't grey out, no trunk lights.

That would be a little disappointing if there is no work-around for the trunk lights with this Hansshow kit. Fortunately for me, it does not really matter. I cannot remember a time where I've actually needed the trunk to be illuminated in any way for me to use it. Of course, your needs may vary...

So is there an agreed on best practice for tapping into the power? It seems to be split, either going in the driver side footwell or punching through the firewall using the grommet on the passenger side. Any pros/cons for those that have installed as to where you tapped into and why? Also, why has no one mentioned this feature:
RTMv0F6.jpg

Seems pretty futuristic!!!