Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@not4antoher,

So.....installed the Auto Trunk today....still have to clean up the wiring tomorrow. All seems well. I DID install the foot sensor IN the rear bumper....removed the bumper. And ran the wiring through a right rear quarter grommet into the trunk....however haven’t connected the wiring yet. How did you run the foot sensor wiring from there. I see the White is not used (it’s acc). How did you run the others and what did you tap? Did you run it through that nightmarish tubing by the right strut or splice or tap something I the trunk for the +/GND and the 3rd wire. Any photos? Like I said...mines IN the rear bumper and wirings run into the trunk, just not connected yet. Thanks,

Ski
I found a great spot which is below the bumper. There is an oval grommet on the passenger side rear, you’ll see it from inside the car right of center of bumper (sorta passenger side)... you can run the wires there. And someone posted a pic earlier of the wiring diagram... a few pages back showing the black goes to the main light connectors black, green goes to main light connectors white, and the red taps directly into the purple-power connector’s red(that goes to battery).

Also, having a very hard time trying to get foot sensor to work consistently. But i think i finally got it. I slide the top of my shoe across the bottom of bumper from center to right and then back again (installed it slightly right of center). And it seems to work each time. Gently touching the bumper. No need to kick it anymore. People may think I’m doing a strange dance with the vehicle, but I don’t think i care. Ballet shoes may work best.

I found a great spot which is below the bumper. There is an oval grommet on the passenger side rear, you’ll see it from inside the car right of center of bumper (sorta passenger side)... you can run the wires there. And someone posted a pic earlier of the wiring diagram... a few pages back showing the black goes to the main light connectors black, green goes to main light connectors white, and the red taps directly into the purple-power connector’s red(that goes to battery).

Also, having a very hard time trying to get foot sensor to work consistently. But i think i finally got it. I slide the top of my shoe across the bottom of bumper from center to right and then back again (installed it slightly right of center). And it seems to work each time. Gently touching the bumper. No need to kick it anymore. People may think I’m doing a strange dance with the vehicle, but I don’t think i care. Ballet shoes may work best.

@yerEVan,

I used the left bumper blue grommet for the left trunk strut wiring, the right oval blue grommet you speak of for the right trunk strut wiring and the right rear quarter panel black grommet for the foot sensor. From the rear bumper. Lol at ballet shoes! Yeah I installed my sensor slightly right of center as well. Did you just use wire taps for the foot sensor wiring to the aforementioned wires?

Ski

Yeah, honestly I’m going to close the frunk from the button inside the frunk. Opening remotely is great. I take my laptop bag everywhere and it’s a perfect spot for it, so it doesn’t fly around the trunk when I punch it. So nice having the frunk.

I feel a total dork-out, and think we should all post our frunk videos open and close, to see which one is the nicest.

Agreed.....I’ll most times open via app....throw my stuff in the Frunk and ‘Tap’ the Frunk button to close....easy peasy.

Ski

@yerEVan,

I used the left bumper blue grommet for the left trunk strut wiring, the right oval blue grommet you speak of for the right trunk strut wiring and the right rear quarter panel black grommet for the foot sensor. From the rear bumper. Lol at ballet shoes! Yeah I installed my sensor slightly right of center as well. Did you just use wire taps for the foot sensor wiring to the aforementioned wires?

Ski
Yes, i picked up those red clips from pep boys. Seemed to work well. Then wrapped them with electric tape. I also bought this 3m fabric style tape and did a single pass over the speaker buzzer thing. That did a perfect job of dampening the hideous beeping sound.

It was tricky to get that frunk tray back in, i broke two clips not the passenger side on the narrow part. I have to order two new ones i guess. Sucks.. and also, during all this, i found that my center bolt for the bumper’s underbelly was missing from the get-go.

Yes, never swapped out the new smaller ones. I noticed that it closed just fine with the stock spring stoppers in place.
Same. I never touched the stock bumpers. Although the passenger side trunk lid closes slightly more than the driver’s side. But not that noticeable. The frunk closes and lines up perfectly without adjustment. Luckily I didn’t have to screw around with it, like the Frugal Tesla guy’s installer had to.

Yes, i picked up those red clips from pep boys. Seemed to work well. Then wrapped them with electric tape. I also bought this 3m fabric style tape and did a single pass over the speaker buzzer thing. That did a perfect job of dampening the hideous beeping sound.

It was tricky to get that frunk tray back in, i broke two clips not the passenger side on the narrow part. I have to order two new ones i guess. Sucks.. and also, during all this, i found that my center bolt for the bumper’s underbelly was missing from the get-go.

Noticed the same but on examination even though there’s a ‘hole’ in the facia for the bumper underbelly tray there are no actual threads in the body. I just put the 10mm bolts open the outer two holes leaving the middle empty as it was. I just plugged in the buzzer for the Frunk and trunk to “set” my speed and strength on both then totally disconnected the buzzer after in each. One and Done.

Ski

Yeah, honestly I’m going to close the frunk from the button inside the frunk. Opening remotely is great. I take my laptop bag everywhere and it’s a perfect spot for it, so it doesn’t fly around the trunk when I punch it. So nice having the frunk.

I feel a total dork-out, and think we should all post our frunk videos open and close, to see which one is the nicest.

Reactions: yerEVan

You sure you placed the foot sensor right side up (there is some directionality to it). Your posts are the only one that seem to mention a touching action to get it to work.

Yep, that was it. Hansshow was super cool and helpful. I’m an idiot. Everything is working great. Going to do the frunk tomorrow.

For the foot sensor i have to tap the bottom of the bumper a little bit for it to detect my foot. But I’m fine with that. Also put a piece of thicker fabric tape over the red speaker thing so it’s not so ear piercing.
So what was your problem exactly so I can avoid it :)

You sure you placed the foot sensor right side up (there is some directionality to it). Your posts are the only one that seem to mention a touching action to get it to work.

Yes....the untrasonic foot sensor must be mounted with the black side facing down and the sticker side facing up.
4B2F5CEB-35ED-4A5C-8124-3FC4EA337618.jpeg
334FD276-06E1-480F-B81D-01ADE125A4E9.jpeg
0E153E79-8D41-4349-9B2D-663065785632.jpeg
334FD276-06E1-480F-B81D-01ADE125A4E9.jpeg

Marcuir,

i just made the above adjustments, but it looks like it no longer opens the trunk max distance as the other update prior. the screen now does alter between open and closed as it should. one thing that is different, the trunk lights now flash on/off instead of staying on when open. can you confirm or deny that with yours?

thanks

The Trunk max distance is another update and not related to this modification. If you need to fix the max distance bug with this method you have to ask hansshow support to integrate the fix. They are super reactive.

Yes for the lights same behavior, I think that's the bypass they found to have the status of the trunk displayed, but as I said this solution is not good enough for me so I kept the normal behavior without the status of the trunk for the moment.I am waiting for a better solution.
I shared that method for people that are ok with the actual results and also really need to know the status of the trunk.