Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grumpy git weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We popped away for the weekend for a two night camping trip. Hadn't had the car as loaded as it was but the car performed as expected. To give us a slight boost before heading home, I thought i'd use the local BP Pulse charger rather than risk tripping the campsite. I had a fun conversation with the site manager and he wasn't sure what would happen if someone were to charge but I mentioned that I could set the rate lower than the kettle and induction hobs that we were using. Anyway, should anyone make stupid comments about electricity and water not mixing... someone needs to rethink drainage at this one:-

water.png

So then plotting in the return trip, car showed destination (home) reached with remaining charge at 1% which while driving then said I could only do that if speed was kept below 55, then 50 mph. However given the procession of caravans and other traffic, that wasn't actually a problem and I returned home with 2% and for some reason felt that I had failed as I was aiming for 1% just to defy my wife who asked why I wasn't concerned :)
Anyway, given that the local SC rate is only 2p different from my day rate, I figured we might as well unload and head there just to bring the car back to a safe level.
1st Stall...23kWh before it failed. Moved to another, only to be joined by the same guy who also failed on the A of my B failure v2. Then I moved to a third stall where we had some sense from the charger.
I don't mind that but there were two plonkers who were parked there, one a Mini who was occupying a Tesla bay and not plugged in. A second, an Audi parked there also not plugged in. What is frustrating is that they won't incur overstay charges because they weren't connected. The Audi driver had no intention of charging as the cable wouldn't reach anyway. To his "slight" defence, every other stall has a sign above it, the end one doesn't. Just a bit frustrating that out of 12 bays, 2 faulty and 2 blocked by non chargers.
20230827_141309.jpg
20230827_143000.jpg
Then I looked at my bank transactions and saw the charge from BP Chargemaster for £45 for a 7 minute charge of ~5kWh. As this was my first time using them (and the last time!), that was explained as the pre-authorisation charge, of which the difference will be refunded in a few days time. I did ask what interest rate they use to add to my refund as I explained that i'm not a bank and don't generally offer interest free loans. He helpfully said that I could avoid that by adding credit to my account and that would then sit there until it was used. Back to trying to explain that i'm not a bank and that I don't offer interest free loans!
Anyway, that was just me rounding off the day with my remaining grumpy git credits. :)

One positive though - nice to see BP Pulse is still easily topping the list of worst charging network. Just need to get the word out more so they don't keep benefitting from all that free money.

One positive though - nice to see BP Pulse is still easily topping the list of worst charging network. Just need to get the word out more so they don't keep benefitting from all that free money.
Yes, that was exactly my point to the guy on the phone and yes, of course I acknowledged to him that it wasn't his fault, he's not responsible but he didn't seem to understand that it really IS free money that is in their pot for a few days (or much much longer if in a credit account). That's exactly what a bank is and all these companies shove money in all directions to maximise benefit from these free loans.
I think he hadn't aged to such an age where he's entitled to solve world problems by moaning about them yet? ;)