Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guelph Transit T-bones Model S - Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bus had a red light for at least 10 seconds. Can't imagine it couldn't have stopped in that amount of time.

Agree. It’s a great Careless.

I must mention again i guess... I drive these buses for a living. They are absolute *sugar* in the snow. Transit companies do not equip them with snow tires. Depending on the tread depth of the tires, it's almost like using racing tires on a 40,000lbs bus.

I have been stoppped at a red light and the bus will still slide due to the force of the engine. Damn thing just slides.

I have experienced travelling at 10kph and sliding over 100m. You telling me 10kph is too fast?

Weather/ road conditions were poor. Sometimes... bad things just happen.

Yes, I completely agree it's still the bus drivers fault. I'm actually shocked at how many people here are trying to pass any kind of blame on the Tesla driver. They had the green light. They weren't speeding. They were following all applicable laws. My god.. imagine if everyone slowed down through green lights.

SH!T HAPPENS PEOPLE

It is interesting that people can't seem to understand that an accident can be avoidable and that doesn't make the person that failed to avoid it at fault. The bus driver is 100% at fault. I suspect the Tesla braked but the car just anti-locked and it didn't slow like it normally would. Its also possible the Tesla drive just did not pick up the bus at all and got hit. Either way he is not at fault.

Funny story me and the wife are in the family mini van and she is driving. We are approaching an intersection that we have the right of way there is a stop sign for the perpendicular traffic. I see a guy look in our direction and his eyes just pass over us. Its obvious that at he did not "see" us he looked at us but we just didn't register. He is clearly not going to stop at the sign. In a slightly elevated voice I tell my wife to stop, she continues I now in a half yell tell her to stop, she continues I now in a full yell scream at her to stop. At this point she realizes that a car is going to drive straight into her door and chooses to try and accelerate through the intersection. By then it is too late we get T Boned. Everyone is ok and I say when someone yells at you to stop three times most people don't take that for pin it through the intersection. She looks at me and says I thought the kids were screwing around in the back and you were yelling at them. All you can do is laugh. My wife should have easily avoided the accident but she was still not at fault.

I must mention again i guess... I drive these buses for a living. They are absolute *sugar* in the snow. Transit companies do not equip them with snow tires. Depending on the tread depth of the tires, it's almost like using racing tires on a 40,000lbs bus.

I have been stoppped at a red light and the bus will still slide due to the force of the engine. Damn thing just slides.

I have experienced travelling at 10kph and sliding over 100m. You telling me 10kph is too fast?

Weather/ road conditions were poor. Sometimes... bad things just happen.

Yes, I completely agree it's still the bus drivers fault. I'm actually shocked at how many people here are trying to pass any kind of blame on the Tesla driver. They had the green light. They weren't speeding. They were following all applicable laws. My god.. imagine if everyone slowed down through green lights.

SH!T HAPPENS PEOPLE

Sounds like bus drivers are just a passenger in these unstoppable death traps. Funny, there aren’t a litany of buses blowing red lights and stop signs all over Ontario whenever it snows.

If you have 10 seconds and a 4 second amber, and still can’t stop in time I’d say that’s down to the driver not the bus. Imagine if that’s a pedestrian crossing instead of a Tesla. You’re saying it’s inevitable that that pedestrian is struck?

Sounds too much like the truck driver and his ‘I was fully loaded and couldn’t stop’ bs they use to excuse blowing lights. I’ve defended a few and been hit by one.

Sounds like bus drivers are just a passenger in these unstoppable death traps. Funny, there aren’t a litany of buses blowing red lights and stop signs all over Ontario whenever it snows.

If you have 10 seconds and a 4 second amber, and still can’t stop in time I’d say that’s down to the driver not the bus. Imagine if that’s a pedestrian crossing instead of a Tesla. You’re saying it’s inevitable that that pedestrian is struck?

Sounds too much like the truck driver and his ‘I was fully loaded and couldn’t stop’ bs they use to excuse blowing lights. I’ve defended a few and been hit by one.

Actually I am shocked that more people don't die every day. The amount of times in a shift that someone either cuts me off, brake checks me, runs directly infront of the bus to board it while it's in motion, people turning right from the left turn lane in ****ing mind boggling.

The reason you don't see a litany of buses driving through stop signs/ red lights or getting into collisions is because we are good drivers (most of us).

What I am trying to point out though is there there are design/ mechanical issues with our rear wheel drive, snow tire-less (slicks), poorly tuned retarder buses that ARE a factor in SOME collisions. I am not disputing the fact that ultimately the bus driver is at fault... but just because you don't know of "a litany of buses blowing red lights and stop signs all over Ontario whenever it snows.", doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Winter tires on vehicles in the public service should be mandatory for public safety reasons. I'd prefer that winter tires be mandatory on everything that travels on public roadways, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.
Oh trust me. I agree... and so does every one of my co-workers. But... "too expensive" is the response. We have something like 250 buses x 6 tires each = 1500 tires... minimum. Then we need storage for all those tires. I can see the $$$$ issue... but... safety should trump all.

If you count the m/s and the time available where the driver of the S (only vehicle capable of the maneuver to avoid the sliding bus at this point). It was avoidable; fact is the S driver wasn't capable or wasn't paying attention to their environment nor the weather conditions. If you're not at least slowing down in those conditions at every green then I salute your disregard of Murphy's Law.
Yes you're supposed to live your life with Murphy's law in mind, absolutely. But slowing down at every intersection is called being paranoid and a danger to everyone on the road.
Tell me how often a bus runs a red like that? So you're telling me if you were in the position of the S, considering the speed the bus was going you wouldn't assume for the bus to slow down/come to a stop since it's been green light for you for a long time.

You can be the world's safest driver, but all it takes is a mistake from someone else's end to cause an accident. That does not mean you could've avoided it or that it's your fault. Your idea of driving/life is concerning.

• Love
Reactions: Gerk and McFlurri
Yes you're supposed to live your life with Murphy's law in mind, absolutely. But slowing down at every intersection is called being paranoid and a danger to everyone on the road.
Tell me how often a bus runs a red like that? So you're telling me if you were in the position of the S, considering the speed the bus was going you wouldn't assume for the bus to slow down/come to a stop since it's been green light for you for a long time.

You can be the world's safest driver, but all it takes is a mistake from someone else's end to cause an accident. That does not mean you could've avoided it or that it's your fault. Your idea of driving/life is concerning.

What I'm saying is under such slushy weather/driving conditions - yes, I would be cautious at each intersection. The S showed no signs of speed correction. Something tells me the S driver was not paying attention at all and assumed the bus would come to a stop (which is valid) - *sugar* happens. Everyone walked away. To each their own world view and logic processing :)

What I'm saying is under such slushy weather/driving conditions - yes, I would be cautious at each intersection. The S showed no signs of speed correction. Something tells me the S driver was not paying attention at all and assumed the bus would come to a stop (which is valid) - *sugar* happens. Everyone walked away. To each their own world view and logic processing :)
I’m saying there was someone not paying attention. We just disagree with who. The bus driver owed the duty, not the Tesla.

Reactions: 03DSG
Oh trust me. I agree... and so does every one of my co-workers. But... "too expensive" is the response. We have something like 250 buses x 6 tires each = 1500 tires... minimum. Then we need storage for all those tires. I can see the $$$$ issue... but... safety should trump all.

Do Toronto buses also have the no winters policy? I just find this hard to believe... there's so much traffic (and hills, the whole city basically slides down till you hit the lake) in Toronto, and with the snowstorms we get... the buses don't stop running... I mean the buses would be sliding off the road in the hundreds every storm if it's as bad as you say...? But I don't hear about that, so....? Usually in those big storms it's cars sliding off freeways, you don't hear about buses very often.

Do Toronto buses also have the no winters policy? I just find this hard to believe... there's so much traffic (and hills, the whole city basically slides down till you hit the lake) in Toronto, and with the snowstorms we get... the buses don't stop running... I mean the buses would be sliding off the road in the hundreds every storm if it's as bad as you say...? But I don't hear about that, so....? Usually in those big storms it's cars sliding off freeways, you don't hear about buses very often.
I don't work for TTC so I don't know.

But the company/ municipality I work for never pulls buses off the road. No matter the weather.

Just because you don't see it.. doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

A few storms back at 5pm we had 4 buses in collisions, and 5 stuck in various locations around the city. None of that made the news because it's incredibly normal.

You’d think they would come up with an all weather tire option at least for buses. Would be better than the *sugar* tires they are outfitted with now.