Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guelph Transit T-bones Model S - Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bus driver did. More info in the comments on youtube. Lots of people are blaming the Tesla driver for not seeing the bus coming ... but it looks like there was even an advanced green before that as well, the bus just plowed right through and didn't appear to even try to slow down.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Impressive how much the momentum of the S was able to move the bus.

Here is where side view dash cams would have come in handy. I'll bet the narrow forward facing camera in the model S probably shows nothing since it was a side collision.

I'm guessing that S is probably going to be a write off, but also looks (?) like no serious injuries which is the most important part.

Yes i was thinking the same thing, it stopped the forward momentum of the bus pretty well, and it looks like the driver walked away and no one seemed to be concerned about a passenger. I would think the S is a write off as well, but I also think that lesser vehicles might have looked a lot more like a pretzel after that impact!

Yeah, the bus slid the light. Tesla also probably antilocked in the snow as well. When both vehicles appear to not react, you know they are probably standing on the brakes with no effect. It’s the weirdest feeling.

Autopilot engaged? The S was coming in hot while the ICE van was still churning up to make the left.

Unlucky I suppose but this could of been avoided if the S driver actually slowed down when approaching the intersection and check left and right before going through.

The little things they preach eventually comes true - I do this all the time, habits of a motorcyclist :)

Cautionary tale to pay extra attention when driving in bad conditions.

You slow down to look both ways on a green light that has been green for a while?

If you look in the video there is a big black fence on the right side of things that would have hidden the bus for the person driving the S and the light had been changed for some time.

I agree for the pay extra attention in bad conditions but after watching the video a bunch of times it's hard to say anyone did anything wrong except for the bus driver who was either going to fast and couldn't stop or just plain didn't see the red light and didn't bother to stop. It's funny that quite a few people are trying to put fault on the person driving the S, who had a green light and got sideswiped by a vehicle that blew threw the red light. Maybe the S was coming in a bit hot but it didn't look like they were speeding and that bus was clearly in the wrong...

Autopilot engaged? The S was coming in hot while the ICE van was still churning up to make the left.

Unlucky I suppose but this could of been avoided if the S driver actually slowed down when approaching the intersection and check left and right before going through.

The little things they preach eventually comes true - I do this all the time, habits of a motorcyclist :)

Cautionary tale to pay extra attention when driving in bad conditions.

I have learned over the years never trust a green light

Tesla has the right of way. Period. The bus had an eternity to stop and didn’t. Neither vehicle was going quick and I’d suggest the Tesla, even if looking to the right, would have judged the speed of the bus to be at a rate where it would stop as it approached. Until it was too late of course. The too late point was probably the first time the bus was in view though, as the fence pointed out by someone else, surely blocked the driver’s view.

Tesla’s should stop for green lights now? What else can we do to make life easier for those that don’t follow the rules of the road?

1000% the bus is at fault.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
Tesla has the right of way. Period. The bus had an eternity to stop and didn’t. Neither vehicle was going quick and I’d suggest the Tesla, even if looking to the right, would have judged the speed of the bus to be at a rate where it would stop as it approached. Until it was too late of course. The too late point was probably the first time the bus was in view though, as the fence pointed out by someone else, surely blocked the driver’s view.

Tesla’s should stop for green lights now? What else can we do to make life easier for those that don’t follow the rules of the road?

1000% the bus is at fault.

No doubt it's the bus driver's error for not slowing down way early or even forgetting to slow down.

But, as a driver coming into a fresh green light with 60 kph - it would be safer to feather off the accelerator and inspect the intersection for emergency vehicles (that's the point of that rule - they look for this during the drive tests) before proceeding through like it was a flowing traffic green. It's a brand new green - there's a slight difference.

It was avoidable if the S owner did the little things right when everything else is so wrong with the whole situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
No doubt it's the bus driver's error for not slowing down way early or even forgetting to slow down.

But, as a driver coming into a fresh green light with 60 kph - it would be safer to feather off the accelerator and inspect the intersection for emergency vehicles (that's the point of that rule - they look for this during the drive tests) before proceeding through like it was a flowing traffic green. It's a brand new green - there's a slight difference.

It was avoidable if the S owner did the little things right when everything else is so wrong with the whole situation.

I agree it was avoidable. All the bus had to do was obey that red beacon hanging over the road. I’m not sure either where you get 60km/h from.

Sure the Tesla could have done things differently to avoid it. Chosen another route, stayed home or assumed other drivers don’t obey the law. I don’t place any ‘blame’ on the Tesla. Sure it sucks and perfection would have prevented this. I think it’s too much to expect from someone with the right of way, a potentially blocked view and another party that had a stale red light. The law surely doesn’t.

Reactions: 03DSG
Impressive how much the momentum of the S was able to move the bus.

Here is where side view dash cams would have come in handy. I'll bet the narrow forward facing camera in the model S probably shows nothing since it was a side collision.

I'm guessing that S is probably going to be a write off, but also looks (?) like no serious injuries which is the most important part.
Any car that weighs similar to the Model S would’ve moved the bus the same amount. The bus didn’t have much traction anyways from the snow

Source: Physics

Dude it was a green light for a long time. Why should the S have to slow at every intersection they pass? You can use that terrible argument for anything, saying it was avoidable if X did Y instead of Z. In this senario, 100% bus is at fault, end of story.

• Love
Reactions: Gen3 and McFlurri
Dude it was a green light for a long time. Why should the S have to slow at every intersection they pass? You can use that terrible argument for anything, saying it was avoidable if X did Y instead of Z. In this senario, 100% bus is at fault, end of story.

If you count the m/s and the time available where the driver of the S (only vehicle capable of the maneuver to avoid the sliding bus at this point). It was avoidable; fact is the S driver wasn't capable or wasn't paying attention to their environment nor the weather conditions. If you're not at least slowing down in those conditions at every green then I salute your disregard of Murphy's Law.