Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

H.265 Exactly Means What?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thought I had HW 2.5 but looking at some dashcam videos they say H.265 ? Does that mean 3.0 ? I'm confused

it is a inventory car that I can still lookup the options on ev cpo and it says 2.5. built 3/19

needed the hvec plugin download to even see the videos

thought I had HW 2.5 but looking at some dashcam videos they say H.265 ?
Does that mean 3.0 ? I'm confused
it is a inventory car that I can still lookup the options on ev cpo and it says 2.5. built 3/19
needed the hvec plugin download to even see the videos
If you have Codec MPEG-H H.265, you have FSD 3.0:
If you have Codec MPEG-H H.264, you have FSD 2.5:

A simple way to determine the Video Coding on a video
is to download the VLC media player and use the menu: Tools -> Code Information

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
Pretty sure, yes.

The source is us peons comparing videos with others after we've also checked part numbers of the HW computer behind the glove box with the official EU parts catalogue.

Someone recently smashed my side window in an attempt to steal “the iPad” at the middle of the dashboard, so I know the codec of my videos, and I have HW2.5. It's not H.265 even with 2019.20.1.

It's not impossible that they might also implement H.265 on HW2.5 in future firmware levels, though.

Pretty much. The source is us peons comparing videos with others after we've also checked part numbers of the HW computer behind the glove box.

Someone recently smashed my side window in an attempt to steal “the iPad” at the middle of the dashboard, so I know the codec of my videos, and I have HW2.5 It's not H.265 even with 2019.20.1.

Ok, the reason I ask is this -> I have a June 2019 Model 3. My video format is HEVC. However, when I perform an API call (using teslajson), the option code shows up as APH3 (which is suppose to be 2.5).

That's why I am confused as to what to believe.

I haven't paid attention to which codec mine is recording in but with H.265 being higher compression rates it would make since that both 2.5 & 3 are recording ther same. No reason 2.5 shouldn't be able to encode in H.265.

HW2.5 would be able to encode h.265 via new software, but that would be very compute intensive (while driving at least) on the already tapped-out card, whereas HW3 has a dedicated h.265 encoder in silicon on each SoC, as explained by Bannon on Autonomy Day,
to be used for the reversing camera display, dashcam and clip-logging to cloud.

It seems to me most likely that HW2.5 will never do h.265.

Last edited:
So I popped off a small panel to the right of the glovebox and can clearly see a 3.0 computer

Thanks to daerik on YT for posting all the AP computer videos. Can easily tell the differences

I printed my option codes when I ordered the car and it shows APH3 which is 2.5

Oh well doesn't mean much at the moment

My Model S was an inventory car with manuf. date of 3/19, purchased on 5/27, with EAP, not FSD. My dashcam saved video is "MPEG-H PART 2/HVEC (H.265)(HVC1). Looks like the H265 theory MIGHT be incorrect!
All vehicles have the same hardware based on manufacturing date, the FSD option is a software switch / license that will eventually require the newer hardware. Based on this article your 3/19 manufacturing date is just as likely to support the theory as it is to disprove it.

So I also took off the panel and could clearly see the computer board with the HDMI and the USB-C connectors which 2.5 does not have I then went up to the Tesla service center and he verified I did have HW3 computer, the -00-F production board. SO.... some earlier manufacture date cars DOES have HW3

• Helpful
Reactions: mxnym