Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Hawaii Tesla Owners

H&R lowering springs & T-Sportline TSS 20" Wheels review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just wanted to share my recent modification experience with everyone. I had joined multiple Model 3 Facebook groups & forums several months ago to start figuring out what other had done & what I wanted to do; might as well learn from others & I hope someone learns from mine...

SPRINGS:
The best company to make lowering springs doesn't need to be EV familiar. I wanted someone who has been doing this for a while and is a trusted brand. I do not intend on spending the money on coil-overs so that was never an option for me. After reviewing all the EV companies lowering springs it appeared there would always be a potential to receive a set of springs that would give you the dreaded "reverse rake" look & I want to stay as far away from that as possible. Then I saw H&R released a set of lowering springs with a 1.2" drop front & rear along with nothing but amazing reviews and feedback so I immediately ordered those.

WHEELS:
I instantly fell in love with the T-Sportline TSS wheels, I've had many performance cars in the past & I'm not concerned about the performance loss or pothole danger by getting heavy 20" wheels (close to factory specs anyways). I did debate whether to get the grey or gloss black to go with my car which is also gloss black. It appears almost everyone online got the grey wheels so I did the opposite. I went with the staggered set-up (love the look) & I did go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires; same as factory ones except they don't have the foam inside (supposed noise reduction). I was also able to get the alignment 100% within the factory parameters which I have not seen the other lowering springs allow due to them bringing the car down beyond the 1.2" drop range.

*The incredible team over at Island Brake & Alignment installed the springs, wheels & alignment. Fantastic team & Tesla familiar!

RESULTS:
After driving the car with the factory springs/wheels & driving the car with the H&R springs and TSS wheels the only difference I notice is that I smile more when I see the car & I feel slightly lower when driving. I've had ZERO clearance issues, no change in cabin noise & have never hit the bump stops (didn't trim them). The car does appear to have slightly less body roll & I don't notice any change in performance.

The car is now over at Auto Perfection (insanely talented team) getting: tinted, chrome delete, PPF & Ceramic. I have no regrets selling my 2014 Porsche Panamera 4S for this car & I hope this feedback helps someone else!

BEFORE:
IMG_4682.jpeg

AFTER:IMG_4696.jpeg IMG_4697.jpeg

Hi,

I just wanted to share my recent modification experience with everyone. I had joined multiple Model 3 Facebook groups & forums several months ago to start figuring out what other had done & what I wanted to do; might as well learn from others & I hope someone learns from mine...

SPRINGS:
The best company to make lowering springs doesn't need to be EV familiar. I wanted someone who has been doing this for a while and is a trusted brand. I do not intend on spending the money on coil-overs so that was never an option for me. After reviewing all the EV companies lowering springs it appeared there would always be a potential to receive a set of springs that would give you the dreaded "reverse rake" look & I want to stay as far away from that as possible. Then I saw H&R released a set of lowering springs with a 1.2" drop front & rear along with nothing but amazing reviews and feedback so I immediately ordered those.

WHEELS:
I instantly fell in love with the T-Sportline TSS wheels, I've had many performance cars in the past & I'm not concerned about the performance loss or pothole danger by getting heavy 20" wheels (close to factory specs anyways). I did debate whether to get the grey or gloss black to go with my car which is also gloss black. It appears almost everyone online got the grey wheels so I did the opposite. I went with the staggered set-up (love the look) & I did go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires; same as factory ones except they don't have the foam inside (supposed noise reduction). I was also able to get the alignment 100% within the factory parameters which I have not seen the other lowering springs allow due to them bringing the car down beyond the 1.2" drop range.

*The incredible team over at Island Brake & Alignment installed the springs, wheels & alignment. Fantastic team & Tesla familiar!

RESULTS:
After driving the car with the factory springs/wheels & driving the car with the H&R springs and TSS wheels the only difference I notice is that I smile more when I see the car & I feel slightly lower when driving. I've had ZERO clearance issues, no change in cabin noise & have never hit the bump stops (didn't trim them). The car does appear to have slightly less body roll & I don't notice any change in performance.

The car is now over at Auto Perfection (insanely talented team) getting: tinted, chrome delete, PPF & Ceramic. I have no regrets selling my 2014 Porsche Panamera 4S for this car & I hope this feedback helps someone else!

BEFORE:
View attachment 492986

AFTER:View attachment 492988 View attachment 492990

Do you anticipate needing the "R" sticker prior to next safety check because the suspension isn't EOM any longer?
I had a lowered Lexus GS430 and it was always a hassle with the safety checks when they called out the nonOEM lower springs even when alignment was spot on...

No, I'm going to have the car registered in Texas not Hawaii.
Not sure what an “R” sticker is, but even out of state vehicles require HI safety inspections. You’ll also lose out on all of the EV benefits, like free airport parking, HOV access, etc., which require HI EV plates, if that matters...

BTW, the other day, I saw a new M3 with the safety sticker right on the rear bumper. Have they stopped giving the inspection sticker brackets with new Teslas?

Not sure what an “R” sticker is, but even out of state vehicles require HI safety inspections. You’ll also lose out on all of the EV benefits, like free airport parking, HOV access, etc., which require HI EV plates, if that matters...

BTW, the other day, I saw a new M3 with the safety sticker right on the rear bumper. Have they stopped giving the inspection sticker brackets with new Teslas?

An R sticker is a Reconstructed Vehicle Inspection sticker performed on vehicles that have undergone certain modifications. Without this successful inspection and sticker designation a safety check station is not allowed to pass a vehicle.
An excerpt from the website includes the following pertaining to suspension modifications:
"What types of modifications require a Reconstructed Vehicle Permit?
The most common modifications that require a Reconstructed Vehicle Permit are:
  • Lowered vehicles:
    • Headlight height cannot be lower than 22 inches when measured from thr ground to the center of the headlight.
    • Unrestricted suspension travel of at least 2 inches (front and rear).
    • There must be ample clearance (full turn to full turn) between the tires and the vehicle's frame, suspension and body.
    • Tires must meet or exceed manufacturers' GVWR load ratings.
    • Frame modifications will require pre-approval from DOT (C-Notch)..."
Here's the FAQ website address:
Hawaii Administrative Rules

Hope this answers your question!

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
Hi,

SPRINGS:

WHEELS:

RESULTS:

BEFORE:
View attachment 492986

AFTER:View attachment 492988 View attachment 492990
I'm impressed that you got a perfect alignment. I have tsportline lowering springs and the 20 inch wheels, my springs bring it down just one inch, but not quite perfect alignment. First, took it to my usual alignment place and they jacked it up, throwing it into 3 failures and I had to take it to the SC and pay their 300+ fee for an alignment still not perfect without camber arms, but not too bad. I've done a LOT of mods, lots of carbon fiber. Pictures in that thread.

Attachments

• alignment half.jpg
    alignment half.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 0