Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly! It happened faster then the video appears. All these people who criticized haven’t thought of that. Thank you for having my back!
Every time someone posts a video like yours, a bunch of critics invariably chime in that it was the OP's fault. I wasn't there, but I am glad you're okay, and I believe you did your best. Hindsight is always 20:20. The responses are the main reason why I find threads like this so very disheartening.

Won’t comment on the accident claim but I do find your comments odd. In one message you state “she made a mistake it’s just a car” then you follow with “my bro is a badass lawyer and I’m going to sue Ms Hyundai for this and that” lol. Fix the car and consider yourself lucky.

Reactions: Maxpilot
Wasn't ideal her pulling out like that but you can't say that you didn't have PLENTY of time to slow down and let her complete the maneuver before speeding up again.
I mostly agree with this… good old defensive driving. Even if you’re 100% in the right, it’s better to slow down a tad to let the “crappy driver” out of the way instead of causing damage. I think the kicker here, and likely why the cops are paying attention at all to this, is her completing her turn into the far right lane. If she had turned into the far left lane (closest lane) I think she would have been a “bad driver” but not legally at fault based on the distance and that it appears you don’t touch the brakes until almost on top of her. Granted, if she turned into the far left lane the accident wouldn’t have taken place and you would have just looked like a dick quickly changing lanes to pass by her on the right without even tapping the brakes. Yes that’s how you big city folks drive; I’ve driven in LA plenty and in Seattle and I’m absolutely more aggressive in the city… but that’s usually with fairly heavy traffic… you were kinda on an empty patch of road, especially by city standards.

While it might not be legally required, might I suggest slowing down ever so slightly and being ready for the unexpected. Expect other drivers to be confused, bad drivers, etc and drive defensively.

Also, tossing out California vehicle code 16000 might have been a kinda dick move too… as far as I can tell that just requires any party involved to *reported* the incident. I think per that code, she could have asked for YOUR information, maybe a copy of the video, and then reported it herself. Either way she should have said “let’s wait for the cops and they can take a statement and review the video.” Likely she would still have an issue with turning into the far right lane, and especially if she has expired registration, but would have been a much better way to handle it than driving off.

Reactions: Maxpilot
Progressive has already said otherwise. She is 100% liable. You should look up “cal vehicle code 16000”. You can make a claim for uninsured motorist regardless of how many vehicles are damaged. Her not having any damage has nothing to do with it. Bottom line is that she is a party involved in damage resulting to my car - as per CVC 16000.1

Again, that section sounds like it’s about REPORTING it, not about admitting fault.

This also gets into an interesting area. I believe the person that rear ends someone is usually considered at fault even if the front car is a crappy driver (say hitting the brakes because they think the street is their turn at the last minute.) While this wasn’t a rear end accident, they may try to argue that it could have been avoidable. Again, the turn into the far right lane may end up being the sticky point for her being liable.

Let’s get one thing straight. The dashcam is the ultimate equalizer here. Whether I went into the curb or hit them is irrelevant when I have definite proof that she royally screwed up. At the end of the day, hindsight is always 20:20. Given the situation and how it went down in real time is a completely different story then when people see “I had an accident” on a forum post’s title and see a video ready to roll. You already know that there is a crash to see. I didn’t know that there was a crash imminent until she went from lane 1 into lane 2. I was very close to just squeezing by unscathed. Inches. It is what it is. But at the end of the day, the law, and my dashcam are in my favor and everything will be made right. The Hyundai owner has been charged with misdemeanor hit and run, and cited for expired registration. My insurance company will cover all of my loss, and I am going to sue Ms. Hyundai for my loss of work, rental car expenses etc.. people make mistakes and sometimes they have to learn the hard way. Lucky for me, my brother is a (badass) lawyer, and I have a dashcam. Nobody was hurt and the property will be fixed/replaced.
Why exactly would you have to sue if a police report supported by video evidence deemed the other driver at fault. Insurance should step in and handle that for you and have the other party pay out. I would only think lawsuit would be required if there wasn’t a determination of fault, if she had zero insurance, or you were going after something unreasonable like emotional trauma that is keeping you from driving again or something.

What is HER insurance saying? Not yours.

Let’s get one thing straight. The dashcam is the ultimate equalizer here. Whether I went into the curb or hit them is irrelevant when I have definite proof that she royally screwed up. At the end of the day, hindsight is always 20:20. Given the situation and how it went down in real time is a completely different story then when people see “I had an accident” on a forum post’s title and see a video ready to roll. You already know that there is a crash to see. I didn’t know that there was a crash imminent until she went from lane 1 into lane 2. I was very close to just squeezing by unscathed. Inches. It is what it is. But at the end of the day, the law, and my dashcam are in my favor and everything will be made right. The Hyundai owner has been charged with misdemeanor hit and run, and cited for expired registration. My insurance company will cover all of my loss, and I am going to sue Ms. Hyundai for my loss of work, rental car expenses etc.. people make mistakes and sometimes they have to learn the hard way. Lucky for me, my brother is a (badass) lawyer, and I have a dashcam. Nobody was hurt and the property will be fixed/replaced.
Keep in mind that Carfax is going to stick their big ugly nose into this and saddle your car with a history of a collision. It will significantly reduce the resale value of your car. Carfax may or may or may not be accurate in their description but unless they’ve changed, they will be non-responsive in correcting their description. You should investigate this loss in value and attempt to recover the diminished value as part of your insurance claim. Later when you sell/trade the car it will be too late to address this. You’ll get statements from insurance companies “we don’t cover that”. Yes, they do.

You don’t live in the USA or California. In fact, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road. Things are way different out here. The police, my insurance, and the other 2 dozen people I’ve shown these videos to couldn’t disagree with you more. By the way, I never varied my speed other than slowing down once I saw her coming (I was only going 40-45mph). So this talk about PLENTY of time before speeding back up doesn’t make any sense. A guy gets in an accident and you’re over here offering unsolicited criticism. I thought English people were better mannered. Shame. Stop being a troll - with your hardly used TMC account.
Sorry, I didn't mean it to come across too harsh. As most here have said too, it's shitty on her part and I do sincerely hope you can get it fixed and recoup costs depending what the insurance companies agree to. "Unscolicited criticism" is a hard argument when you post it on a forum.

Appreciate that the video may be distorted making things seem further away etc. From 00:09 you can see her pulling out slowly, and at 00:15 you hit the curb. Here in the UK you'd lose your license for not reacting appropriately in a 6 second time span, that's all.

Again apologies if I came over too harshly - I wish you all the best with your case.

Won’t comment on the accident claim but I do find your comments odd. In one message you state “she made a mistake it’s just a car” then you follow with “my bro is a badass lawyer and I’m going to sue Ms Hyundai for this and that” lol. Fix the car and consider yourself lucky.
I’m going to sue for the money I’m out that insurance doesn’t cover - loss of work, excess rental fees etc. I didn’t think I was being polarizing in any way. Don’t read too much into it bud, half of my responses are to folks who are judging everything from a lens rather then the whole picture. I appreciate everyone’s opinion. Also, yes.. my brother is a big help. My responses to “it’s just a car” is in direct reaction to the numbskulls suggestion that I just run into her…

I mostly agree with this… good old defensive driving. Even if you’re 100% in the right, it’s better to slow down a tad to let the “crappy driver” out of the way instead of causing damage. I think the kicker here, and likely why the cops are paying attention at all to this, is her completing her turn into the far right lane. If she had turned into the far left lane (closest lane) I think she would have been a “bad driver” but not legally at fault based on the distance and that it appears you don’t touch the brakes until almost on top of her. Granted, if she turned into the far left lane the accident wouldn’t have taken place and you would have just looked like a dick quickly changing lanes to pass by her on the right without even tapping the brakes. Yes that’s how you big city folks drive; I’ve driven in LA plenty and in Seattle and I’m absolutely more aggressive in the city… but that’s usually with fairly heavy traffic… you were kinda on an empty patch of road, especially by city standards.

While it might not be legally required, might I suggest slowing down ever so slightly and being ready for the unexpected. Expect other drivers to be confused, bad drivers, etc and drive defensively.

Also, tossing out California vehicle code 16000 might have been a kinda dick move too… as far as I can tell that just requires any party involved to *reported* the incident. I think per that code, she could have asked for YOUR information, maybe a copy of the video, and then reported it herself. Either way she should have said “let’s wait for the cops and they can take a statement and review the video.” Likely she would still have an issue with turning into the far right lane, and especially if she has expired registration, but would have been a much better way to handle it than driving off.
Lol, you are funny. Citing the law isn’t a bad move, it’s to inform the others that her refusing to exchange information is the same language as not reporting the accident on her behalf. For what it’s worth, I could care less about your judgement of me. You don’t know me beyond this forum!

Why exactly would you have to sue if a police report supported by video evidence deemed the other driver at fault. Insurance should step in and handle that for you and have the other party pay out. I would only think lawsuit would be required if there wasn’t a determination of fault, if she had zero insurance, or you were going after something unreasonable like emotional trauma that is keeping you from driving again or something.

What is HER insurance saying? Not yours.
She is not insured. Was driving on expired registration, and has a prior hit and run accident where she injured someone.

Again, that section sounds like it’s about REPORTING it, not about admitting fault.

This also gets into an interesting area. I believe the person that rear ends someone is usually considered at fault even if the front car is a crappy driver (say hitting the brakes because they think the street is their turn at the last minute.) While this wasn’t a rear end accident, they may try to argue that it could have been avoidable. Again, the turn into the far right lane may end up being the sticky point for her being liable.
Somebody who doesn’t REPORT it is braking the law, turning it into a hit and run. That was my point. Someone who gets out of the car and refuses to give info based on the grounds of “I didn’t hit you, why do you need my info” when they clearly caused the accident is same thing as not reporting it - in the eyes of the police.

Keep in mind that Carfax is going to stick their big ugly nose into this and saddle your car with a history of a collision. It will significantly reduce the resale value of your car. Carfax may or may or may not be accurate in their description but unless they’ve changed, they will be non-responsive in correcting their description. You should investigate this loss in value and attempt to recover the diminished value as part of your insurance claim. Later when you sell/trade the car it will be too late to address this. You’ll get statements from insurance companies “we don’t cover that”. Yes, they do.
This is why I’m seeing her buddy, to make me whole.

Why would I ever give my dashcam to the party at fault? She would have to have that court ordered.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come across too harsh. As most here have said too, it's shitty on her part and I do sincerely hope you can get it fixed and recoup costs depending what the insurance companies agree to. "Unscolicited criticism" is a hard argument when you post it on a forum.

Appreciate that the video may be distorted making things seem further away etc. From 00:09 you can see her pulling out slowly, and at 00:15 you hit the curb. Here in the UK you'd lose your license for not reacting appropriately in a 6 second time span, that's all.

Again apologies if I came over too harshly - I wish you all the best with your case.
Thank you. With regards to criticism.. you have two choices when you see a post like this: be a nice guy, or a dick. You chose the latter - all I was saying. Appreciate your kind words afterwards though.

I’m going to sue for the money I’m out that insurance doesn’t cover - loss of work, excess rental fees etc. I didn’t think I was being polarizing in any way. Don’t read too much into it bud, half of my responses are to folks who are judging everything from a lens rather then the whole picture. I appreciate everyone’s opinion. Also, yes.. my brother is a big help. My responses to “it’s just a car” is in direct reaction to the numbskulls suggestion that I just run into her…
Definitely Not your “bud“ or I would have advised paying attention and braking as you should have done.