Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it appears you had a choice of braking or being a Dick. You chose the latter….
No. I braked the best could in the given situation, if the clips had audio you would have heard the tires screech before ABS kicked in. You are judging everything based on the video (which you already know is going to contain an accident) and not my testimony. Very judgmental without totally understanding the situation. Who’s the dick again?

After looking at this video a few times, I think the reason why everyone is picking it apart is because they saw the title, clicked the video, and are *watching* for the impending accident. In real life, this is not as easily avoidable as some might make it seem, given the (legal) speed the cars were going. Almost all of the time, left turning cars would stop somewhere in the median (if there is one), if not, they kinda slow down and wait for the last car to pass. This one did not, just kept going. Now there's even less time to avoid.

That Hyundai was completely in the wrong, BTW, not even paying attention. Hope you get your car back and it doesn't get totaled, as cars can be expensive these days.

After looking at this video a few times, I think the reason why everyone is picking it apart is because they saw the title, clicked the video, and are *watching* for the impending accident. In real life, this is not as easily avoidable as some might make it seem, given the (legal) speed the cars were going. Almost all of the time, left turning cars would stop somewhere in the median (if there is one), if not, they kinda slow down and wait for the last car to pass. This one did not, just kept going. Now there's even less time to avoid.

That Hyundai was completely in the wrong, BTW, not even paying attention. Hope you get your car back and it doesn't get totaled, as cars can be expensive these days.
Really appreciate your words. Most people don’t understand. Thank you for being supportive.

Yes, totally agree

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
I agree I feel that the OP had the time to slow down and apply brakes as it seems like they saw them coming and turned to the right. I feel like they did more damage to the car by swerving to the right instead of hard braking.
Right… because body damage to two cars is better then needing two new rims and a control arm plus various other suspension parts. If I hit them then I’d be replacing the airbags, frunk and front body work, and possibly would have the exact same suspension/control arm damage that was mentioned above. Then there is the possibility of potentially injuring the party in the Hyundai, and having to live that for the rest of my life. You guys should think harder.. you have the luxury of time and under no stress, I didn’t have that in my situation as it was going down.

Reactions: MontyFloyd
Right… because body damage to two cars is better then needing two new rims and a control arm plus various other suspension parts. If I hit them then I’d be replacing the airbags, frunk and front body work, and possibly would have the exact same suspension/control arm damage that was mentioned above. Then there is the possibility of potentially injuring the party in the Hyundai, and having to live that for the rest of my life. You guys should think harder.. you have the luxury of time and under no stress, I didn’t have that in my situation as it was going down.
On the bright side, whatever curb rash you had on those two wheels is going to get fixed for "free", lol... And the ball joint on the control arms will be freshly lubed, so you won't have to worry about them squeeking.....

Also wanted to post the pic of what I'm talking about:

1632848793532.png

Usually, a car would sit right there and wait for traffic to pass, then enter the lane. As a person driving straight, you (and just about everyone else) would just go on, expecting the same from a normal, everyday driver. Not here. Hyundai kept scooting along!

Ok, so now we know the car is continuing into the lane......let's look at this part right here:

1632856076925.png

Most of the time, the car would stay in the left lane, so moving into the right lane would be a smart move. I've done this before, and I'm sure a lot of people have. But no, not this time! This car continued veering into the right lane. Someone clearly not paying attention. At this point, with only a few feet and a couple seconds left, there's really not much anyone can do except hope to god the car doesn't go into one of those poles, which thankfully, it did not.

The other thing to consider here is rules of the road dictate that if you are entering a four lane divided road from the left, as this car was, you are suppose to stay in the left lane until it is safe to move to the right (slower) lane. I can understand someone expecting the driver of the car entering to follow the rules. I'm betting the other driver ran because of not wanting to have to undergo a test for ???

The other thing to consider here is rules of the road dictate that if you are entering a four lane divided road from the left, as this car was, you are suppose to stay in the left lane until it is safe to move to the right (slower) lane. I can understand someone expecting the driver of the car entering to follow the rules. I'm betting the other driver ran because of not wanting to have to undergo a test for ???
I always just assume the other driver is an idiot, and drive accordingly....

The other party may be at fault for the majority of the accident, but the reality is the other party's insurance will argue they are not 100% at-fault. They will do their best to put some of the blame on the OP, that's what insurance companies do. They may say the OP had time to brake to avoid the accident, the evasive maneuver of swerving may have caused the accident since the driver veered to the right lane, etc.. Speed will be a factor as well. If the OP was going even 1 MPH above the posted speed limit, they can say they are not 100% at fault. It may end up 90% the other driver and 10% the OP. In CA, law enforcement doesn't state who is at fault on accident reports. They just state what occurred and let insurance companies hash out blame.
I'm not taking sides, just stating the reality of how insurance works now a days. Unless you were completely stopped and plowed in to from behind, 100% not-at -fault is hard to get these days.

Also wanted to post the pic of what I'm talking about:

View attachment 715427

Usually, a car would sit right there and wait for traffic to pass, then enter the lane. As a person driving straight, you (and just about everyone else) would just go on, expecting the same from a normal, everyday driver. Not here. Hyundai kept scooting along!

Ok, so now we know the car is continuing into the lane......let's look at this part right here:

View attachment 715474

Most of the time, the car would stay in the left lane, so moving into the right lane would be a smart move. I've done this before, and I'm sure a lot of people have. But no, not this time! This car continued veering into the right lane. Someone clearly not paying attention. At this point, with only a few feet and a couple seconds left, there's really not much anyone can do except hope to god the car doesn't go into one of those poles, which thankfully, it did not.
Wow man! Appreciate the time and energy you put into this analysis! I wish I had you at the beginning of this thread! Would have stopped a lot of trolling! Thank you!

Reactions: MontyFloyd
The other party may be at fault for the majority of the accident, but the reality is the other party's insurance will argue they are not 100% at-fault. They will do their best to put some of the blame on the OP, that's what insurance companies do. They may say the OP had time to brake to avoid the accident, the evasive maneuver of swerving may have caused the accident since the driver veered to the right lane, etc.. Speed will be a factor as well. If the OP was going even 1 MPH above the posted speed limit, they can say they are not 100% at fault. It may end up 90% the other driver and 10% the OP. In CA, law enforcement doesn't state who is at fault on accident reports. They just state what occurred and let insurance companies hash out blame.
I'm not taking sides, just stating the reality of how insurance works now a days. Unless you were completely stopped and plowed in to from behind, 100% not-at -fault is hard to get these days.
Lol, she doesn’t have insurance!

For what it’s worth, Progressive has already deemed the Hyundai 100% at fault. The police report and dashcam made it easy. The simple fact that she made multiple mistakes was her nailing her own coffin. My brother being a lawyer also helped. It turns out my brother has represented the same police department multiple times in the past. It’s funny how the world works sometimes. It’s a done deal guys. The car is getting worked on as we speak and progressive is covering the whole thing, including the loss of value to my car to it being a non-accident car now. I came out 100% whole - minus my time and aggravation.

Wasn't ideal her pulling out like that but you can't say that you didn't have PLENTY of time to slow down and let her complete the maneuver before speeding up again.

For what it’s worth, Progressive has already deemed the Hyundai 100% at fault. The police report and dashcam made it easy. The simple fact that she made multiple mistakes was her nailing her own coffin. My brother being a lawyer also helped. It turns out my brother has represented the same police department multiple times in the past. It’s funny how the world works sometimes. It’s a done deal guys. The car is getting worked on as we speak and progressive is covering the whole thing, including the loss of value to my car to it being a non-accident car now. I came out 100% whole - minus my time and aggravation.
Did you have to pay your deductible?