Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had XPEL Ultimate full wrap installed - very impressed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After doing quite a bit of research on these forums and others, I decided to go ahead and get the full wrap done with XPEL Ultimate on my new 85D, Obsidian Black. I had it installed by Clear Bra Ohio, up in Fairfield, Ohio. Keith was the guy I dealt with, very professional, worked around my busy holiday schedule, etc. You can find them here if you guys are in the area: http://www.clearbraohio.com/

I made them let me watch the whole process (couldn't let the baby out of my site!) and I took some pics.

I can tell you from my experience (it's been installed for a week today) there was very little air/water under the XPEL to have to dry out, it hasn't changed the color of the car at all and now I feel more comfortable getting the car washed in your "normal" places. That's really what I spent the money for - peace of mind when doing cleanings and parking in garages, etc.

They used a combination of templates (nose cone, side mirrors) and had cut pieces (hood, doors, fenders) to get the job done. Seems wrapped around edges in many areas though there are a couple of places that the edge is exposed if you really look for it.

I'll try to get some pictures of the joints/seams if anyone wants them!

Attachments

• 2015-12-22 15.41.41.jpg
    2015-12-22 15.41.41.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 308
  • 2015-12-22 15.26.18.jpg
    2015-12-22 15.26.18.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 231
  • 2015-12-22 15.26.17.jpg
    2015-12-22 15.26.17.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 212
  • 2015-12-22 10.55.17.jpg
    2015-12-22 10.55.17.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 225
  • 2015-12-22 10.55.12.jpg
    2015-12-22 10.55.12.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
  • 2015-12-22 10.50.17.jpg
    2015-12-22 10.50.17.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 216
  • 2015-12-22 10.39.41.jpg
    2015-12-22 10.39.41.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 204
Looks great. I had mine done in August and it looks great so far. I got it done at a great shop here in Maryland. The one thing they said they weren't able to do is wrap the trunk lid with one continuous sheet. How did they handle yours. I don't have a spoiler.

The trunk CAN be done in one piece (Mine is) but it's very hard to do and having two people helps.

Wondering how long it took for them to wrap the entire car since you waited with it. I didn't think it could be done in one day.

Mine was 4.5k. They took off all the badging from the back but went around the T on the nose cone. They had to buy a new set if the badging, because all the letters didn't come off clean and we're not reusable.

Yah that is what my Xpel installer said... I will need to order a new set of rear end badges from my local Service Center.

BTW, did they need to do any paint correction prior to doing the Xpel?

Did you inform your SC that the car was going in for immediate Xpel? I was told to say that to my SC so that they do not apply any post wash wax to the finish. "Just have them wash the car and windows" is what I was told. My local SC works closely with the detailer. However I was told this would probably be a two to three day install depending upon the amount of paint correction. Your price is in the ballpark from what I have seen.

Did you get the Xpel Ultimate?

Yep, I got Xpel ultimate.

Paint correction (along with window/wheel treatment) was included in the price. The delivery guy knew that I was taking the car for a wrap immediately after delivery, but I don't know if they did anything different from a regular delivery prep.

The shop did a one pass paint correction but didn't really see anything major. I only drove the car for 2 miles - from delivery center to the wrap shop.

Ok, so tell me, what is it like to get the car you waited SO long for.... just to hand it over for another day or so.... I know this is going to kill me. I kinda grimace.

Were you able to visit your S and sit in it during the wrap process? Sigh....

Also can you explain the window and wheel treatment... I have not explored that.
I understand there is a coating that can be applied to the front windshield, I think my detailer calls is ClearPlex.

That was a wise decision to have the ultimate in protection installed. We have fully wrapped over 100 Tesla Model S' and every one has been done without a seam on the rear hatch, so it definitely can be done but it's no easy task that's for sure. Congratulations on your new S.

John Kleven

Damn, maybe I can convince them to retry that part? Any tips / videos on how its done?

- - - Updated - - -

Did they have to remove your Model S and 90D badges as well as the T on the nosecone and hatch??
We did take off the MS and 85D badge on the back - I kind of like the way it looks so I didn't buy a new set yet to reinstall. As for the Ts, they were done with a pre-cut template so they stayed.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so tell me, what is it like to get the car you waited SO long for.... just to hand it over for another day or so.... I know this is going to kill me. I kinda grimace.

Were you able to visit your S and sit in it during the wrap process? Sigh....

Also can you explain the window and wheel treatment... I have not explored that.
I understand there is a coating that can be applied to the front windshield, I think my detailer calls is ClearPlex.

I had my car for a few days before having it installed. We did a once over looking for scratches and things on the paint that need to be corrected. Just found one spot after a quick wash - was all good.

I haven't heard about the window/wheel treatment, though I would be curious.

Did you inform your SC that the car was going in for immediate Xpel? I was told to say that to my SC so that they do not apply any post wash wax to the finish. "Just have them wash the car and windows" is what I was told. My local SC works closely with the detailer.

In my case, prior to delivery I asked them to not wash the car. This was to minimize potential swirling and lessen the need for my detailer to remove any more clearcoat than needed. There were still a few at delivery time, but they were relatively inconsequential. I had paint correction and film install immediately done right after I drove the car off the factory premesis (straight to the shop). Pristine (as possible) paint is an investment, at least for me.