Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hailstorm attack! (Driving home M25 Oct 23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else find themselves driving into the apocalypse yesterday? For us in our month old Model Y it was quite the experience. I should say now, all was well, no troubles and actually the car was great. I’m pleased and impressed.

The skies darkened.. rain started.. motorway warning signs updated… I dropped out of autopilot at that point as the weather was getting serious.

Then it all unleashed.

Extremely heavy rain, surface water everywhere, no visibility, everyone crawling about 10-20mph.

Then the hail started, and that was pretty scary!! Kept expecting cracks to start appearing in the roof like in some disaster movie before the flood crashes through.

Fortunately that didn’t happen.

What was really interesting and impressive was popping the rear camera on the screen. Completely clear view! I couldn’t see anything out the back window (no surprise) and both wing mirrors were fairly useless at this point. They’ve clearly put some thought into keeping the cameras clear in bad weather, not that I had any intention of testing any cruise control / autopilot in that storm.

Anyone else find themselves driving into the apocalypse yesterday? For us in our month old Model Y it was quite the experience. I should say now, all was well, no troubles and actually the car was great. I’m pleased and impressed.

The skies darkened.. rain started.. motorway warning signs updated… I dropped out of autopilot at that point as the weather was getting serious.

Then it all unleashed.

Extremely heavy rain, surface water everywhere, no visibility, everyone crawling about 10-20mph.

Then the hail started, and that was pretty scary!! Kept expecting cracks to start appearing in the roof like in some disaster movie before the flood crashes through.

Fortunately that didn’t happen.

What was really interesting and impressive was popping the rear camera on the screen. Completely clear view! I couldn’t see anything out the back window (no surprise) and both wing mirrors were fairly useless at this point. They’ve clearly put some thought into keeping the cameras clear in bad weather, not that I had any intention of testing any cruise control / autopilot in that storm.

Bit luckier than this poor sap then?

Yeah, hit some pretty horrendous weather over the weekend - don’t think I had hail but was loud and horrible all the same.

Did notice that while trying to put my fog lights on in the day, I have to drop out of auto. At night it’s ok! 🤯 (only used fog lights a handful of times in my life)

Interesting that you dropped out of autopilot I have found in very bad weather/poor visibility that autopilot adds a level of safety
Me and the car are still in the "getting to know each other" phase :)

But as I said, I was impressed how clear the rear facing camera was in the conditions so can appreciate your perspective.

I feel I need a few more miles on the clock to better understand how the car would handle when things get a bit exciting to feel more confident in wrestling control back, should I need to.

Thanks, I took a look. I'd seen a similar set of clips where a Tesla in stationary traffic bunny hopped forward to avoid being rear ended by someone. That was impressive.

Perhaps I haven't read the Tesla guidance deeply enough (having watched what feels like years of YouTube overviews / comments / tests / opinions), but I do think they should somehow outline what the car might do in a variety of situations.

I've always thought that as part of any car purchase you should get one opportunity to take it on a test track / skidpan / whatever to get a feel for what the scary stuff is like / where the limits of the car are.

Thanks, I took a look. I'd seen a similar set of clips where a Tesla in stationary traffic bunny hopped forward to avoid being rear ended by someone. That was impressive.

Perhaps I haven't read the Tesla guidance deeply enough (having watched what feels like years of YouTube overviews / comments / tests / opinions), but I do think they should somehow outline what the car might do in a variety of situations.

I've always thought that as part of any car purchase you should get one opportunity to take it on a test track / skidpan / whatever to get a feel for what the scary stuff is like / where the limits of the car are.
i know other companies like Volvo organise track days to do just that. But I guess Tesla is different here too.