Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • TMC Podcast #11 will stream live Saturday at 1PM PDT. We will be joined by special guest JT Stukes, a former engineer at Tesla. You can watch it live and participate in the chat on YouTube. We will addressing viewer comments and questions. For more information, follow the TMC Podcast #11 thread.

Hand free front door, how to set it up?

Hi, guys,

I watched some videos show that Model X driver's door can open it up automatcially when getting close.
But mine doesn't seem have such function?
Wonder if this function only been included in some special package? or every model x has it? And how to active it?

Thank you

You need to specify the build date and spec of your X, that feature is included now with all X's, but on older X's built before July 2018, it was part of the premium upgrade package on non performance models.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
You should see this in the "Quick Controls" screen. We can't say for sure if your vehicle has it or not, we'd need to know all of the build options.
I believe the toggle for the feature is called "automatic doors" if you have it. That toggle should be in somewhere in settings (and per the post I'm replying to, that toggle might also be on the main controls screen).

Handsfree door opening is pretty useless for me, so much so that I disabled it almost immediately.
Only if Tesla would include a foot control instead (like those found in doctors' offices to activate the faucet for hand washing).

On second thought, Tesla should make it so that the cameras can detect when an owner does a particular dance move to signify when to open the door. Would be cool and amusing at the same time.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC