Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hannshow Model Y Frunk opener - V5 question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the Hansshow V5 that’s currently sold on their website. It was a bit different from all the pictures and videos out there, but it installed easily and works well. Be warned, you need thin forearms or a willingness to bruise the hell out of your arms getting down to the bottom of each strut. But with patience, the installation was easy. Maybe about 3 hours total while a little… in the clouds. And give me a chance to finally fix my hood gap, LOL

As for function, as others have stated, everything works except closing using the app directly. Asking Siri (or equivalent) to open drunk will cycle the closing. I also use the shortcuts method and call the shortcut “flex frunk” since it’s a cycle, and I didn’t want two shortcuts for the same thing. You can also use any app that calls the API, such as “Watch for Tesla,” Tessie, etc.

Also, I can confirm all functions are as expected when using their RGB frunk light. I’m pretty glad I grabbed that. Seeing the frunk at night when a cooler blocks the release bottom light is a game changer. And setting the color to match my car is just satisfying. Installed on late 2022 model y Cali build w 16v battery. I’ve been happy for the last couple of weeks, but YMMV.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Having the same issues here on both Intel and AMD 16v builds with v5 frunk kit. Won't close on Android app. Everything else works fine.

Not a deal breaker since you'll be at the car to close anyways, but it does suck.

There's a reddit thread for a fix but it was from 2 years ago, so I don't think it works.

Today, Hansshow support said no firmware update yet. Looking forward to one!