Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hannshow Model Y Frunk opener - V5 question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks! I am getting ready to install this on the weekend, and I saw this disconcerting note on the webpage:

1695870731523.png

Does anyone know what this means, or if this is really an issue? If so - I will return it - the real draw of this device is that it auto closes the frunk.

Matt

Hi Folks! I am getting ready to install this on the weekend, and I saw this disconcerting note on the webpage:

View attachment 977746

Does anyone know what this means, or if this is really an issue? If so - I will return it - the real draw of this device is that it auto closes the frunk.

Matt
I installed mine in our Model Y a few weeks ago and can confirm you cannot close the frunk via the App. You need to close it with the button in the frunk or by the screen in the car. I created a service ticket with Hannshow and they said their engineers are working up a solution. I asked my friend who has a power frunk installed in his model 3 and he said that it used to work via the app but doesn't anymore after Tesla made an app update. Keep in mind that the Tesla app will give you a warning if you are out of bluetooth range asking if you are sure you want to open the frunk. This way you don't accidentally open it if you are far away from the car and have no way to close it.

yeah - there is a way to update the firmware, they have instructions on the main page on how to do that.

Thanks for all the replies! Since you can still close it from the car screen, I think I will go ahead and do the install.

I just learned there's a way to close the frunk with your phone if you have an iPhone. Use the Shortcuts app and create a shortcut for "Open Tesla Frunk" you can use it to open and close.

I only read of one person going through that and I suspect bad installation from the owner
Totally agree. The locking mechanism and latch remain OEM and are controlled by the Tesla app and the car, not by the aftermarket parts. The aftermarket struts lift and lower the hood while the suction lock pulls the hood down and locks it in place.

Besides an incorrect install, not sure how this could happen.

The hood into the windshield thing I've only seen one confirmed instance of.

The far more common issue (and why I've not installed one of these) is the situation where the unit malfunctions (because of water intrusion or whatever root cause) and then you can't get into your frunk at all, and have to take the car in for service. Seen literally dozens of reports on that throughout YouTube and various forums.

Reactions: tradosaurus