Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow kick sensor issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Performance Model Y. I installed the Hansshow kick sensor (in addition to the Tesla Offer Auto Frunk). My problem is that if I park the car, go into a supermarket and come back with groceries, when I kick under the rear bumper nothing happens (I presume the car has gone to sleep). If I open the trunk normally and then close it, the kick sensor works. Is this normal behavior? I’ve contacted Hansshow and received no response. Separately, I reached out to Tesla Offer to see if their kick sensor works when the car is asleep and Warren ignored my Whatsapp messages (so much for Tesla Offer’s superior technical support).

I’d like to know what others have experienced with the Hansshow and Tesla Offer kick sensors. Thanks.

Admittedly this response won’t be directly helpful to your specific situation, however in this exact same scenario with the stats app and using my Apple watch I simply tell Siri to open my Frunk (or trunk) and boom..it opens. Every time.

Reactions: Paul8810
I have the same issue and couple other locals I've asked have the same problem as well, whether with LR or Perf.
With the sensor installed, if the car goes to sleep, the trunk button doesn't work and of course then the kick sensor doesn't work either. Now that said, I experienced this issue couple of times prior to installing the kick sensor where the trunk button wouldn't work but the doors would. But with the sensor installed, if car is asleep then it never works.
Have you been able to find a solution?

My experience has been that if the kick sensor does not work then the rear door latch will not work either. This is a function of the car going to sleep and not a function of the kick sensor. The same is true of the charge port. If the car is unlocked but asleep you cannot open the charge port by tapping it.

@EchoDelta assumption is likely correct. I notice this phenomenon at my house where Sentry Mode is disabled but not after a routine length shopping trip where Sentry Mode is enabled.

Reactions: EchoDelta
I installed the kick sensor and have same problem with it not working when car goes into sleep mode. This is when it's in my garage. I DO have sentry mode disabled. I have to open a door (any door) before the kick sensor or manual trunk switch will work again. I don't remember the manual trunk switch not working when car was asleep, before the kick sensor install. Can someone confirm if manual trunk switch works when car is in sleep and Sentry mode is off?

I just disconnected the sensor and now my trunk button works as it should, whether the car is asleep or not. Prior to that, the trunk button wouldn’t work at times, and it was hard to predict when or why. It might have been a loose connection because sometimes the trunk button wouldn’t work but the kick sensor would. Other times, neither would work.

Before installing the kick sensor, I could walk up to the trunk and open it, the same way I could walk up to a door and open it (car unlocked). After installing the kick sensor, now the trunk won't open unless I unlock the car or open a door handle first to unlock the car or open the app to wake up the car. It seems like the foot sensor installation interferes with the trunk detecting the proximity of the phone key Bluetooth signal. Has anybody removed the kick sensor to make the trunk more responsive again?

Before installing the kick sensor, I could walk up to the trunk and open it, the same way I could walk up to a door and open it (car unlocked). After installing the kick sensor, now the trunk won't open unless I unlock the car or open a door handle first to unlock the car or open the app to wake up the car. It seems like the foot sensor installation interferes with the trunk detecting the proximity of the phone key Bluetooth signal. Has anybody removed the kick sensor to make the trunk more responsive again?

So I just had the kick sensor disconnected. Still installed but essentially unpowered now. Trunk unlocks normally now! No need to wake up the vehicle or unlock one of the doors. Hansshow needs to fix whatever is causing the kick sensor to prevent the trunk from detecting phone key and opening without waking car or unlocking. I'll reconnect it when they figure out what is causing this issue.

So I just had the kick sensor disconnected. Still installed but essentially unpowered now. Trunk unlocks normally now! No need to wake up the vehicle or unlock one of the doors. Hansshow needs to fix whatever is causing the kick sensor to prevent the trunk from detecting phone key and opening without waking car or unlocking. I'll reconnect it when they figure out what is causing this issue.
I have noticed this too. Annoying as hell but I like having the sensor enough that I am living with it. If sentry is on the car does not sleep and it works as expected. For me this is only an issue in my garage.

Have the same issue on M3LR - sensor irresponsible when car is in sleep mode. Button is dead either, so the car needs to be awaken by pushing rear or front door latch. And what is most annoying - kick sensor prevents trunk to participate in Christmas Lightshow, did someone notice that?
I’ve been pushing hansshow support for 4 months with their lazy and veeeeeeeery slow support, and today they said “some cars have different signals, and cannot work with our sensor” quote. They refused to refund me as “it ran our of warranty” and “you already installed it used it”.

My 2022 Model Y delivery date is 12 days, what’s the consensus? I’m ready to purchase the frunk opener, kick sensor, and frunk light 3-piece SET. Q1- Do all three work, all the time in sentry mode, CORRECTLY? (I will be keeping it in Sentry even when home due to condo HOA garage spot is accessible by all in building.) I’ve installed my own wall charger in my condo parking space - (with own electric meter). Q2 - when camping/in CAMP MODE, I should figure NONE will work correct? Or will it work if I use my app or car screen from inside the car? Q3- is installing the light easy, or do i have to split wires (someone said splitting is no longer needed). Q4- Has anybody installed a FRUNK kick sensor with success? (I heard a maker out there was having an issue with automatic triggering while driving, due to hitting a bump). Thanks for the feedback all. I have to order soon, if I want delivery by car delivery date. I am also getting the cabin screen 4-way tilt from Hansshow. I welcome feedback.

My 2022 Model Y delivery date is 12 days, what’s the consensus? I’m ready to purchase the frunk opener, kick sensor, and frunk light 3-piece SET. Q1- Do all three work, all the time in sentry mode, CORRECTLY? (I will be keeping it in Sentry even when home due to condo HOA garage spot is accessible by all in building.) I’ve installed my own wall charger in my condo parking space - (with own electric meter). Q2 - when camping/in CAMP MODE, I should figure NONE will work correct? Or will it work if I use my app or car screen from inside the car? Q3- is installing the light easy, or do i have to split wires (someone said splitting is no longer needed). Q4- Has anybody installed a FRUNK kick sensor with success? (I heard a maker out there was having an issue with automatic triggering while driving, due to hitting a bump). Thanks for the feedback all. I have to order soon, if I want delivery by car delivery date. I am also getting the cabin screen 4-way tilt from Hansshow. I welcome feedback.
In my experience, the kick sensor is flakey and doesn't work a lot of the time. I'm seriously considering unhooking mine.