Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard time deciding between Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the end the X really isn't more practical than the S. Biggest differences are ease of entry/egress and ride height/visibility. If those things matter most to you, then the X is a no-brainer. S wins on almost every other metric IMO.

I'm still very torn. I think it may be also for having unrealistic expectations. I was assuming the 2nd row on the Model S was as spacious as a Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series or even a Town Car. But its about as roomy as an Audi A4 just without the center hump and lower bench position.

I'm driving an Audi Q5 right now, some I do like the interior spaciousness and sitting higher up. We do a lot of family trips together in the car so I want something the kids can last in for several hours without getting too antsy.

I agree with all the concerns above for the X over the S: fit and finish issues, FWD longevity, range hit, price, and exterior look of the S vs. the X.

I'll probably have to stop by the store again to sit in the back seat of the S again to get a feel. My 7 year old mini me is upset that I'm leaning towards the X and not the S as the sedan is his favorite car. :)
Did you try (for any length of time) the seat belts on the S vs. the X? I'm 5' 8" and my wife is 5' 4" and when we test drove an S in 2013 the shoulder straps cut across our necks and were very uncomfortable. That alone was a deal killer.
The X has adjustable mount points for the shoulder straps. Set to the lowest point is comfortable for both of us. Not sure if the newer model S has this feature as every loaner we've had was an "antique".

Did you try (for any length of time) the seat belts on the S vs. the X? I'm 5' 8" and my wife is 5' 4" and when we test drove an S in 2013 the shoulder straps cut across our necks and were very uncomfortable. That alone was a deal killer.
The X has adjustable mount points for the shoulder straps. Set to the lowest point is comfortable for both of us. Not sure if the newer model S has this feature as every loaner we've had was an "antique".
Didn't notice a seatbelt issue in the pre facelift 70D model S I drove

In the end the X really isn't more practical than the S. Biggest differences are ease of entry/egress and ride height/visibility. If those things matter most to you, then the X is a no-brainer. S wins on almost every other metric IMO.

More comfortable seats.
More space in the cabin.
Better HVAC, with separate settings for rear seats.
Better approach and departure angles.
Much more cargo space (as long as you don't need to transport thing that are both long and wide.)
Factory tow capability.

I would have coached it the other way - the S is sleeker/prettier, a little quicker, a little more efficient, and handles a little tighter - the X is better at pretty much everything else.

I'm hugely in favor of the S over the X in almost all situations. But, I don't see it in the case of the OP.

If you need comfortable seating for more than 4-5 people, and you want a good HVAC for the entire car than doesn't it have to be the X?

There is no way to manage the temperature of the rear facing seats in the S.

Plus I hate being behind cars that have rear facing kids. I'm tired of the faces they make. :p

Last edited:
We had had our X for 4 months and only minor fit and finish problems which the sc took care of. We do not have ghosting and the watts per mile are only slightly more on the X. Keep in mind and this has been said many times before if you are on this forum you will here the good the bad and the ugly.

Fair point wrt these message boards magnifying things, both the good and the bad, but I think it's fair to say that, on average, the X still has more gremlins to work out.

Reactions: wesley888
I thought the S interior more of the same as audi A6 or bmw 5 or MB E300

I was about to say the same thing...I "defected" from a Macan (i.e. same platform as a Q5) and the back of my S is/feels a lot roomier. Of course, the roof line is lower and it can't compete with the interior space and ride height of the X, but it works for us (tall parents with a beast of a recarro car seat for the heir...)

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
Is the HVAC in the X that much better? Really, I'm asking

The X has a rear heating and cooling system.
The X has available seat heating for all the seats. The S only allows for up to 5 so no bum warmers in the rear facing seats.

I know owners of the S have issues with the rear facing seats getting too warm in the summer. They have done various tricks to try to solve this like tinting and putting fans there. There just isn't anything from the factory to address this issue that I know of.

I don't have either the rear facing seats or an X so I can't comment outside of just what's there.

I believe everyone touched on the benefits. I like our X better than S in most ways. The S was "sexier" I think, but the ride height, ease to get in/out (minus getting used to auto doors), and comfort overall is better in the X. It is roomy, but the S was also. The S back held a lot, but X holds plenty with 3rd row down.

I would say, if you have kids/dogs, then the X rear AC is very important that sit in back, even the 2nd row of the S wasn't that great compared to X.

If you have kids (adults can't fit in rear facing S seats) that you are going to put back in the S, I'd really reconsider it also. It is hot, it is hard to get in/out of as your essentially stepping them down into the trunk, and I question its safety. Rear collisions are so common and I wouldn't want anyone back there when a large SUV hits an S with the large crumple zone and all glass hatchback - seems like a death sentence in a more serious but very common rear collision that is out of your control typically.

The X doesn't have any airbags in the 3rd row as a note also.

Is the HVAC in the X that much better? Really, I'm asking

I haven't seen anyone do a comparison on heating or cooling power/strength.

The X has many more vents for rear seats - B pillar, C pillar, and back of the center console, and it has a separate climate zone for the rear, so there's much more chance of being able to set it up for what you need - though everything is still controlled only by the touchscreen - rear seat folks will have to make requests rather than adjusting it themselves.

Just my opinion, the rear facing seats on the S at $4K is way expensive for what you get. We've rarely used it and my kids don't want to sit there because it's too hot (even with 3m crystalline tint). We're short people and my kids are short so they can still sit there if we need the extra seating.

I've been considering the X on the next upgrade, mainly for our dogs that can sit in the back with the 3rd row folded down. There are vents back there in the X to keep them cool.
Yes the X has rear cooling thru vents on the center consol and b pillar and it works really well, adjustable separate from the front.

I'm still very torn. I think it may be also for having unrealistic expectations. I was assuming the 2nd row on the Model S was as spacious as a Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series or even a Town Car. But its about as roomy as an Audi A4 just without the center hump and lower bench position.

I'm driving an Audi Q5 right now, some I do like the interior spaciousness and sitting higher up. We do a lot of family trips together in the car so I want something the kids can last in for several hours without getting too antsy.

I agree with all the concerns above for the X over the S: fit and finish issues, FWD longevity, range hit, price, and exterior look of the S vs. the X.

I'll probably have to stop by the store again to sit in the back seat of the S again to get a feel. My 7 year old mini me is upset that I'm leaning towards the X and not the S as the sedan is his favorite car. :)
From my recent experience, I would have to say that the S interior is way more spacious than an audi A4. Recently got a piece of trim fixed on our X, got an enterprise rental A4, and unable to keep my backpack in the foot well. Later in the day, SC found me a loaner S--P85D w/AP. Way more space for my bag in the back seat floor. P85D is fantastic but waiting for my X and its open view also... Too bad i can't buy the loaner...

For those with RFS. I have a 4 and 7 year old and they don't care about keeping things nice. Do you guys have to drop them into their seats? Do they have to stomp all over the rear bumper to get in? That is my main concern with the S over the X is them ruining that back bumper getting in and out of it themselves.

For those with RFS. I have a 4 and 7 year old and they don't care about keeping things nice. Do you guys have to drop them into their seats? Do they have to stomp all over the rear bumper to get in? That is my main concern with the S over the X is them ruining that back bumper getting in and out of it themselves.
Based on our experience with similar aged kids, I think you'd find that your kids would indeed be stepping all over the tailgate to get in and out of the RFS. We don't use the RFS all the time, so it's not a big deal for us.

Also, in a very hot area like Phoenix, your biggest concern with RFS may be the relative lack of ventilation all the way in the back. A 12V fan and some extra rear tinting should help, but I don't know if that would be enough to keep the kids from complaining about getting too warm.

For a family of four or five, my opinion is that the Model S is a wonderful car, as there is enough room for everyone in the regular seats. It helps that the vehicle is relatively wide. For many, RFS can be a great addition to enable occasionally carrying more people.

However, for families that frequently require seating for six or seven and are prepared to buy a premium EV, it seems to me that the Model X is the only way to go. In time, I have confidence that Tesla will get all of the main issues sorted, as they seem to have done for the Model S.