Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard time deciding between Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need the MS if you do any HomeDepot runs.

tesla storage.jpg

Or just rent one of their trucks for $25, but agree the S has more cargo space

This is one where you have to be careful with your words.

The X has considerably more cargo volume, and six seat Xs can handle longer objects - if they are less than 18" wide.

The S can handle longer wide objects than the X, like flat screen tv's or windows/doors or bicycles on their sides.

In answer to the OP - wait a year, then buy a Model X. They will have the build quality up by then, your 7 year old will be too big for rear facing seats. It doesn't look as good, or drive as good as a Model S, but higher driving position and interior layout that matches your life is worth a lot. When you are old like me, you can buy a Model S kind of thing.

Reactions: wesley888
In answer to the OP - wait a year, then buy a Model X. They will have the build quality up by then, your 7 year old will be too big for rear facing seats. It doesn't look as good, or drive as good as a Model S, but higher driving position and interior layout that matches your life is worth a lot. When you are old like me, you can buy a Model S kind of thing.

Each person has their own preference. I think both the Model X and S are great looking choices. To me it's a matter of need/function.

Yeah we have 3 kids so most of the time I think we will only be using the back seat and not RFS. My wife really likes the S over the X. I think the X is far more practical but being able to buy a P85(+) for around $50-60k is nice compared to the 100k of the X. I mean hell we could buy two used S for the price of one X and get rid of both our ICE vehicles. I guess we will have to see what is on the market come December/January area when we are ready to buy. If they are liquidating AP1 X's I may just have to go that route while I wait for my 3.

For those with RFS. I have a 4 and 7 year old and they don't care about keeping things nice. Do you guys have to drop them into their seats? Do they have to stomp all over the rear bumper to get in? That is my main concern with the S over the X is them ruining that back bumper getting in and out of it themselves.

We put Xpel paint protection film on the bumpers, so any scuffs sort of heal itself. no Issues of getting in or out and being rough if you install the PPF.

These two videos will help you

Short version

Long version

Thanks so much for posting. These videos are very helpful. God bless that Bjorn, he's a real asset to this community.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the model X, optioned as a black 75D, 6 seater, autopilot+autonomy, cold weather package, multi pattern seats, and light color headliner. I've never spent this much on a car before ever, so the wife and I still want to run it by our financial planner. Although the yearly cost to own is not that much different than my Q5 factoring in gas price, how much milage I do (450 miles/week), and high maintenance costs of a German car.

Anyone know if a tow hitch can be added on after market?

If you buy the tow option, they will reinforce the bumper with extra steel so you can tow up to 5000 pounds. Any after market hitch will not be as reliable and may even be challenged with something like 4 bikes or heavier electric bikes. Just get the tow package. It gives you a lot more utility given that it is very difficult and pretty unadvisable to carry anything on the roof. I still do not understand why Tesla does not outfit almost all their inventory Model X with the tow package. A relatively small investment gives you a lot more utility options that would be very difficult to fully add after market given the different build in the rear bumper.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond and davidc18
Yeah we have 3 kids so most of the time I think we will only be using the back seat and not RFS. My wife really likes the S over the X. I think the X is far more practical but being able to buy a P85(+) for around $50-60k is nice compared to the 100k of the X. I mean hell we could buy two used S for the price of one X and get rid of both our ICE vehicles. I guess we will have to see what is on the market come December/January area when we are ready to buy. If they are liquidating AP1 X's I may just have to go that route while I wait for my 3.
I don't know about your kids, but if my 3 had to sit hip to hip for much of a ride? Well, I'd spend most of that ride either in silent agony while listening to the bickering and fighting or in apoplectic hollering while adding to the bickering and fighting.

So I've placed an order for a 6-seat X. This way the kid in row 3 isn't isolated like in a typical 7 seater (in our experience kids in the way back are basically like not there, which has its advantages, but also its drawbacks).

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I came very close to purchasing an X but found the increased interior carrying capacity of the S the deciding factor. The X second row seats do not fold flat limiting carrying bikes inside the vehicle.

I don't like the safety of rear facing seats and would choose an X if you need to transport > 5 persons. If you have kids in car seats, you can't beat the folding wing doors.

X can fit a bike inside:

UPDATE:

So I finally went ahead and did it. I ordered the Model X. I'm both incredibly exciting and scared shitless too. I've never bought a car even half this amount before.

Here's the package:
-X75D
-Solid Black Paint
-20" Silver Wheels
-Multi-Pattern Black Seats
-Dark Ash Wood Décor
-Light Headliner
-Six Seat Interior
-Supercharger Enabled
-Enhanced Autopilot
-Full Self-Driving Capability (may remove, still deciding)
-Subzero Weather Package
-Towing Package

I have 7 days to cancel, so either talk me out of it or let me know if I'm going to be happy as heck once this car finally comes!

Thanks again to all who posted in this thread. Every comment was very helpful

-ND

My opinion: you can add full self driving feature later. It will take twice as long for the AI engine to figure out NJ turnpike, directions, and especially left turns as compared to any other state. Get autopilot though, will be very helpful for NJ traffic.

Get the 90 battery. Will be better for weekends.

My opinion: you can add full self driving feature later. It will take twice as long for the AI engine to figure out NJ turnpike, directions, and especially left turns as compared to any other state. Get autopilot though, will be very helpful for NJ traffic.

Get the 90 battery. Will be better for weekends.

I agree that self driving may be several years out. I am a bit price concious believe it or not. I can't justify $10000 for just 22 miles of extra range.

Reactions: larmor
I agree that self driving may be several years out. I am a bit price concious believe it or not. I can't justify $10000 for just 22 miles of extra range.

I felt the same way, and I'm still not sure I was wrong. Keep in mind, though, that there's more to it than that.

The other thing Tesla publishes is a 4.8 second 0-60 vs 6 (Car and Driver tested the 75D at 5.5, presumably with rollout.)

What they didn't mention, though maybe it should be obvious, is faster Supercharging. The highest I've ever seen on my 75D is 97 kW. In ideal conditions I get to keep over 90 for the first two thirds of the battery or so, but a 90D today will hit a 15% higher rate (110 kW) for most of the same time.

My 75D is slightly more efficient due to being lighter (less than 5% from what I've read,) but the 90D is still packing away significantly more miles per minute.

Reactions: wesley888
UPDATE:

So I finally went ahead and did it. I ordered the Model X. I'm both incredibly exciting and scared shitless too. I've never bought a car even half this amount before.

Here's the package:
-X75D
-Solid Black Paint
-20" Silver Wheels
-Multi-Pattern Black Seats
-Dark Ash Wood Décor
-Light Headliner
-Six Seat Interior
-Supercharger Enabled
-Enhanced Autopilot
-Full Self-Driving Capability (may remove, still deciding)
-Subzero Weather Package
-Towing Package

I have 7 days to cancel, so either talk me out of it or let me know if I'm going to be happy as heck once this car finally comes!

Thanks again to all who posted in this thread. Every comment was very helpful

-ND
Personally, I think AP1 has as much autonomy as I like and the new Advanced Autopilot is even more robust. I think you could safely forego Full Self-Driving and save a few bucks.

I I am a bit price concious believe it or not. I can't justify $10000 for just 22 miles of extra range.

Once you become electrified, 22 miles and faster charging becomes huge. I've yet to see anyone wish they had purchased a smaller battery. Hey, any body out there?

Ditch the full self driving. Invest in range.

And congratulations! I've got an X on order too, and as excited as you!

Edit: some interesting and broad opinions on range here. Model S 75D Range Anxiety

Last edited:
Reactions: vandacca and larmor