Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardtops and other clear carbon fiber parts now in production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been almost a year since I fabricated my first prototype hardtop and posted about it. I haven't posted much about it since, but it has been an almost nonstop effort to get from a prototype to a production grade top. Getting a repeatable process down took many hours of work and thousands of dollars in material. At one point, I paid for and participated in a multi-day aerospace composites workshop to check my sanity. Sourcing the OEM weatherstripping from Lotus wasn't a trivial task. Same with the mounting hardware - I ended up fabricating it in house. I'm excited to announce that I am now officially taking orders for tops, as well as other carbon fiber parts that I've been working on. Orders may be placed at eggplantfab.com. For the hardtops, I've enabled deposits (refundable) so that you can reserve a place in line without having to pay the full price upfront. At least 25 individuals have expressed interest in one, so the faster you reserve, the sooner you'll have your top! Huge thanks to everyone who has been supportive of my efforts thus far. Without your support, I would've simply made parts for myself and stuck to my day job 🙃.

DSC01339.jpeg

Two hardtops that I've fabricated, on VIN 744 and VP24. Both traveled over 400 miles without incident for this meetup and photo op.

DSC01440.jpeg

The forward hardtop trim panel, finished in satin clearcoat for reduced glare. Also available in gloss and black fabric headliner.

Thanks again to everyone for the ongoing support. The hardtop brackets have been the hottest item so far - I'm completely out and need to make more!

A few people have reached out with ideas on parts they'd like to see. Here's a peek at some of the latest parts in the works. None are listed on the site yet.

2.x center console trim. The "base" piece that goes under the gear selector trim was originally offered by Tesla in carbon but is quite rare from what I've seen. The gear selector and iPod mount pieces are completely new. These are fresh out of the paint booth so need some additional trimming and polishing.
console_trim.jpeg

1.5/2.0 rear winglets. It always bothered me how the OEM carbon fiber rear diffuser looked "incomplete" next to the original plastic winglets.
IMG_9248.jpeg
IMG_9261.jpeg

More to come!

Thanks again to everyone for the ongoing support. The hardtop brackets have been the hottest item so far - I'm completely out and need to make more!

A few people have reached out with ideas on parts they'd like to see. Here's a peek at some of the latest parts in the works. None are listed on the site yet.

2.x center console trim. The "base" piece that goes under the gear selector trim was originally offered by Tesla in carbon but is quite rare from what I've seen. The gear selector and iPod mount pieces are completely new. These are fresh out of the paint booth so need some additional trimming and polishing.
View attachment 922725

1.5/2.0 rear winglets. It always bothered me how the OEM carbon fiber rear diffuser looked "incomplete" next to the original plastic winglets.
View attachment 922727View attachment 922728

More to come!
Awesome work! Thanks for doing it.
Have you insider modifying the hardtop to include attachment points (maybe recessed like the model S) for roof racks to mount bikes or storage Bin(s)?

Reactions: Tex EV
Have you insider modifying the hardtop to include attachment points (maybe recessed like the model S) for roof racks to mount bikes or storage Bin(s)?
I've actually thought about making a "fat top" that sits about 8-12 inches taller than OEM and has integrated storage space ;). Maybe someday down the road. Knowing what I know now about the hardtop, I'd be worried about attaching anything to it that can significantly increase drag. The forward mounting pins are only inserted a few cm into the windshield frame. At highway speeds with extra drag on the top, the windshield may flex enough to release it. I've spoken to a few Lotus owners who lost their hardtops on the track above 90mph. The common denominator was that they didn't have the forward "clamp panel" installed between the pins, but with extra weight and drag pulling the top rearward, I wouldn't expect the panel to do much if the pins let loose.

Reactions: eHorses
I've actually thought about making a "fat top" that sits about 8-12 inches taller than OEM and has integrated storage space ;). Maybe someday down the road. Knowing what I know now about the hardtop, I'd be worried about attaching anything to it that can significantly increase drag. The forward mounting pins are only inserted a few cm into the windshield frame. At highway speeds with extra drag on the top, the windshield may flex enough to release it. I've spoken to a few Lotus owners who lost their hardtops on the track above 90mph. The common denominator was that they didn't have the forward "clamp panel" installed between the pins, but with extra weight and drag pulling the top rearward, I wouldn't expect the panel to do much if the pins let loose.
Please let us know , When the center console
Trims will be available for the 2.x roadsters.
Thank you

Reactions: DeedWest and Tex EV
Just finished a 100% clear hardtop for a customer with a Radiant Red 2.5. Somewhere between sanding the 3rd and 4th coats of clear on the interior side, I was slightly regretting offering the option. Lots of details to get right when fabric headliner isn't hiding them. But after finally seeing the result and taking it for a test drive on my car.... yes I'll continue offering this version :cool:.

B239C49F-3F49-4D74-A6F2-4C14E8DA564C copy.jpg
DSC01533.jpeg
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2230 copy.jpg
DSC01553 copy.jpg

just changed out my 12v Battery in #619.
Mud flaps were dried out and brittle.
Would it make sense to make the
Front Mud flaps, out of carbon Fiber?
I've actually had this project on the back burner for a while. One of my cars has a torn rear mudflap, and I've noticed several other Roadsters with ripped or very worn pieces. Replacements in carbon fiber would be much more durable and look nicer (in my opinion). Here is a rough prototype piece I did a while back.
IMG_1809.jpeg

Latest project - recreating the upper door sills, AKA "waterfalls". In the process, I've recreated these inserts that Tesla never made in carbon fiber. I noticed that on the 1.5s, the "cubby" is raw textured plastic while the 2.x's got a felt liner. Question for the community - if this was to go in your car, would you want 100% exposed carbon or the felt liner?

IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2943.jpeg

I've actually had this project on the back burner for a while. One of my cars has a torn rear mudflap, and I've noticed several other Roadsters with ripped or very worn pieces. Replacements in carbon fiber would be much more durable and look nicer (in my opinion). Here is a rough prototype piece I did a while back. View attachment 988774
Just my 2 cents on the mudflaps-- I made plain flat carbon ones for one of my roadsters and they do drag on the ground quite a bit on lot/driveway aprons (very loudly I might add). My flat ones will bend and just wear on the bottom, but if you make them molded like the original units they will probably get severely damaged or worse, as the fenders are very brittle. The OEM ones always looked like an afterthought anyways, just like the Lotus. So I originally removed them all. But the road debris collection ports under the doors forced me to install simple units on just the front.