Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware 4 vin numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being able to transfer FSD during Q3 has me considering purchasing a new MX.

From discussions in this forum it appears the FSDb might be limited awaiting software updates but I can deal with a delay. I do want hardware 4 with the new radar and upgraded cameras. Is there a way to determine if those features are present based upon the serial number or build date?

If I transfer my FSD, which currently has access to the beta, will I automatically have access to the 4.0 beta or does it just revert to non-access? I see there are a select few people who have FSD beta on hardware 4 but not sure how they got it.
I believe the answer is this: you will have immediate access to the FSD beta IF the current firmware on your new car with hardware suite 4.0 supports it.

So perhaps it is better to think, "transferring my current FSD license to a new Tesla with HW 4.0 will give me immediate access to the potential to FSD, assuming my new HW 4.0 car has the correct software."

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I believe the answer is this: you will have immediate access to the FSD beta IF the current firmware on your new car with hardware suite 4.0 supports it.

So perhaps it is better to think, "transferring my current FSD license to a new Tesla with HW 4.0 will give me immediate access to the potential to FSD, assuming my new HW 4.0 car has the correct software."

Hope that helps.
Ok then I’m guessing this is not a case of simply just updating to the latest available firmware after delivery? Is this a case where if it was shipped with a certain firmware it works but later versions disabled access to it on purpose?

Upvote 0
If red markers in camera lens means HW4, why does TMC's podcast say no Teslas have full HW4, only partial, what TMC is calling HW3.5, see podcast, Why Tesla is going to allow for one-time FSD transfers | TMC Podcast #47. TMC warns against going for FSD transfer as you are being tricked into making a purchase before full HW4.0 which is not expected until EOY. Red in lens only means new cameras. What is the truth?
Read in some articles that none of the models even with new cameras and HW4 computer are equipped with front bumper cameras, they will be coming in near future and with FSD purchased tesla will retrofit them as they did for HW2 to HW3 upgrade few years back, but to do that one has to be on HW4 to start with.

For model X when looked through frunk latch hole we can see radar and connector cable to that, whereas in Model Y you will only see connetion cables and plastic base no radar. So it is rumored that Model Y with FSD will get both radar and front cameras retro fitted in near future.

Reactions: Slim Nebuloid
Upvote 0
An update to this old thread.

After the latest round of price reductions I was concerned I paid too much for my inventory MX a month ago. But as it turned out the savings for buying the inventory car and the credit for transferring FSD (even with the new lowered FSD price) I still saved $500. Whew!

Upvote 0
The form was provided by the Tesla rep helping me with the purchase and trade in. Make sure you order FSD on the new vehicle. The cost of the FSD is handled as a credit on the new vehicle it’s not really a transfer. Check with the person you are dealing with for details.

Upvote 0