Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 rear view camera lag - potential court case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate your response, however you're not likely to be in Australia or know Australian law. In Victoria you've got a tribunal called VCAT that allows you to raise a dispute for a relatively low fee ($500) and whichever party wins, the costs will not be paid by the other party.

So your comment may be relevant in other parts of the world, it's fortunately not relevant to my situation.
Correct. No costs are awarded at VCAT/NCAT/QCAT (except in very rare circumstances).
Take legal action & threaten reporting the issue to the ACCC. I did for failure to deliver FSD, which had been in my car for 2 years & they refunded the cost of circa $8K

Issue #1: “I bought a car made in China”
Issue #2: “I back up using the camera instead of actually turning my head around and looking where I’m going”

If I was on the jury I wouldn’t have a lot of sympathy.
the proper way to reverse and to park is using 3 mirrors, not turning your head. Ultrasonic sensors are helpful to prevent hitting something in the mirror blindspot, so hopefully no-one decides to swap those out with a laggy tesla camera

Not the way I was taught, which was to put your arm on the passenger seat and turn your body and head so you’re looking out the rear glass.

Mirrors work for fine adjustments such as making sure you’re centered in a stall, but I had it drilled into my head that the proper backup technique involves looking out the rear glass.

Same here. I’ve been Ben seen videos of professional race car driver and how they backup their personal cars and they look over their shoulders as well.

I posted in another through about a to Lamborghini driver and how he backs him personal Lambo into a TIGHT garage. He opened the door and sat all weird and looked over his shoulder.

Not the way I was taught, which was to put your arm on the passenger seat and turn your body and head so you’re looking out the rear glass.

Mirrors work for fine adjustments such as making sure you’re centered in a stall, but I had it drilled into my head that the proper backup technique involves looking out the rear glass.
You were taught wrong. Ask anyone with a licence higher than a standard car. Looking backward is why so many people screw up reversing a trailer.
l fully reverse park any car using mirrors only and no need for a camera, but I do enjoy the camera over the centre mirror.
Ultimately it’s personal preference. But mirrors let you see forward, backward, and each side all at the same time. I’ve seen so many people steer into something whilst reversing because they were too busy looking out the back.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
I also have a 2021 Model 3 with the Intel MCU, and I've seen that camera lag issue too. It's not all the time though - it seems to me like it sometimes happens when you first start reversing if there's a lot of other startup stuff happening on the screen at the same time. I'll notice it when it happens because you see (even if only out of your peripheral vision) the images on the screen not move immediately when the car moves - in these cases I'll stop a moment, wait for the cameras to catch up then start reversing. From what I've seen it resolves within a few seconds.

(I do use the radio most of the time, though - it's possible that other media sources put a heavier load on the MCU?)

I had a 2019 Fremont Model 3 (Intel Atom) that used to have rear camera lag. The rear camera was fixed as part of the recall and it fixed it all up.

The 2019 had a manual rear boot and the recall was to do with the wiring harness pinching the cables. If yours is 2021 I assume you've got a powered rear boot so it should have a different wiring harness.

That said it's still worth checking if there is any active recalls on your VIN: Tesla Service

I had a 2019 Fremont Model 3 (Intel Atom) that used to have rear camera lag. The rear camera was fixed as part of the recall and it fixed it all up.

The 2019 had a manual rear boot and the recall was to do with the wiring harness pinching the cables. If yours is 2021 I assume you've got a powered rear boot so it should have a different wiring harness.

That said it's still worth checking if there is any active recalls on your VIN: Tesla Service
This will be interesting since I installed Hanshow’s aftermarket boot auto opener a couple of years ago. Works well.
I have the recall appointment this week.
I wonder if the coaxial cable runs through the same rubber truncheon next to the boot hinge as the auto opener wiring - it’s a little tight in there!!!

The backup camera lag on start up is understandable but annoying and has become more so.

Honestly I blame it on all the extra software overhead that has been added over the years.

It didn’t used to be this way and each year it had gotten worse.

When starting the car the back camera comes up fairly question then seconds later one of the side cameras and finally another several seconds later the other side cameras.

This doesn’t bother me, too much.

What is annoying is when I’ve been in the car for an hour and I’m on the freeway at 70 and the rear camera freezes for 2-3 seconds and then catches up. This is a safety issue.

Of note Tesla has all my backwards looking cameras. Has recalibrated them two. They have also replaced the trunk hardness even though there was no damage as I rarely use my trunk. Car has been factory reset twice.

They need to offer MCU updates to the Ryzen. It doesn’t even need to be free. I would pay a partial or full swap price.

The backup camera lag on start up is understandable but annoying and has become more so.

Honestly I blame it on all the extra software overhead that has been added over the years.

It didn’t used to be this way and each year it had gotten worse.

When starting the car the back camera comes up fairly question then seconds later one of the side cameras and finally another several seconds later the other side cameras.

This doesn’t bother me, too much.

What is annoying is when I’ve been in the car for an hour and I’m on the freeway at 70 and the rear camera freezes for 2-3 seconds and then catches up. This is a safety issue.

Of note Tesla has all my backwards looking cameras. Has recalibrated them two. They have also replaced the trunk hardness even though there was no damage as I rarely use my trunk. Car has been factory reset twice.

They need to offer MCU updates to the Ryzen. It doesn’t even need to be free. I would pay a partial or full swap price.
Thanks for being so on-topic and yes, totally agree with you.
Adding more and more not so useful features resulting in the CPU struggling and causing safety issues should not be legal.

Was also hoping an upgrade to Ryzen would be possible, also happy to pay a small amount. But unfortunately not possible.
Keen to see what Tesla comes back with this week, not expecting anything though.