Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware1/AP1 and speed limit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only collected our first Tesla yesterday but we've already covered about 150 miles from small country roads to towns and motorways (or as you might say: freeways; I'm in the UK).

It's a 3-year-old pre-facelift 70D and I have learned a huge amount regarding the car already, through pre-ownership study and hands-on trial and error. It's mightily impressive and everything (apart from our home charge point that is playing up) is going really well.

The one thing that I'm still puzzled about is speed limit sign recognition. AP1 cars physically recognise speed limit signs through the front-facing camera. It seems to do this very reliably. That's not my question. Instead, I find myself in situations where the speed limit has been flagged up as it's read the sign, but speed is not reduced if the limit is lower than the current speed. It seems to accelerate when the speed limit goes up, as you would expect.

I suspect there is a mode which I haven't discovered which addresses this. I'm primarily referring to the smart cruise control, without auto-steer. Before you ask, Autopilot with Convenience Features is enabled on our car.

I am already aware that, as with a conventional cruise control, you can adjust the speed you are travelling at by bumping the lower stalk up or down, but I would really like the speed to reduce in line with the recognised speed limit, which it doesn't seem to do.

Any ideas - thanks in advance.

AP1 cars do not adjust TACC controlled speed from speed limit changes at all. Under some circumstances if under Autosteer on a non-motorway it will reduce speed settings, as it is limited in how much over the speed limit AS is allowed to operate.

Particular allowable speeds and other policies may vary in the UK -- that's how it is on the States.

Interesting; thanks for the feedback. Still a bit confused but I'm out in the car again today and will experiment some more.

AP1 cars do not adjust TACC controlled speed from speed limit changes at all. Under some circumstances if under Autosteer on a non-motorway it will reduce speed settings, as it is limited in how much over the speed limit AS is allowed to operate.

Particular allowable speeds and other policies may vary in the UK -- that's how it is on the States.

It does reduce

It does reduce speed if the speed limit changes, based upon the signage. In places like UT, the speed can be set up to 85MPH, but when you enter certain congested areas, it will reduce. I've seen this numerous times under the older (2018) software version, and even with the latest change as well.

What I don't like is when traveling on places like US 50, it can read the "Truck Only" speed limit signs of 25MPH as the speed limit for every vehicle at times.

Of course when the sped limit increases, the TACC will increase accordingly.

• Disagree
Reactions: BerTX
When on TACC, it doesn't adjust the speed automatically in regards to speed limits at all, as far as I know.

Under autopilot, on divided highways, it also does not adjust the speed based on speed limits.

Under autopilot on non-divided and/or local streets, it has a max of speed limit + 5MPH. If you set it at, say, 40 in a 35 MPH zone, it will just keep going at 40 MPH even if the speed limit goes up. If, however, you are going 70 and enter a 35 MPH zone, it'll drop your speed down to 40 (35 MPH + 5), but then increase it back up to your original 70 MPH set speed when the speed limits allow again. I've watched it here in Texas drop down from 80 MPH to 30 MPH and back up again in multiple increments when passing through a town.

Reactions: Saghost
It does reduce

It does reduce speed if the speed limit changes, based upon the signage. In places like UT, the speed can be set up to 85MPH, but when you enter certain congested areas, it will reduce. I've seen this numerous times under the older (2018) software version, and even with the latest change as well.

What I don't like is when traveling on places like US 50, it can read the "Truck Only" speed limit signs of 25MPH as the speed limit for every vehicle at times.

Of course when the sped limit increases, the TACC will increase accordingly.
Sorry, this is incorrect. @kavyboy has it right in his post after yours.