Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.3 Misreading Speed Limit Signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a different problem I think. Going through town, there is something the car sees that makes it think the 25mph speed limit is suddenly 60mph; thankfully the autospeed doesn't change to that and keeps the same speed until the next speed limit sign.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Similar situation with this:

1000000862.jpg

But I just flick the right scroll back to the proper 55 mph limit. Surprisingly, sometimes only one flick will take it from 30 to 55.

I tested FSD12 this morning at 5:25am Saturday on my way to work on a long straight stretch of highway. It would only go 49mph in a 50mph zone. Even with +10% on the setting, and using the right scroll to increase the speed to 59mph it would not go above 49mph even with no other cars around.

I'll have to test it tomorrow morning with the "current speed" setting.

I tested FSD12 this morning at 5:25am Saturday on my way to work on a long straight stretch of highway. It would only go 49mph in a 50mph zone. Even with +10% on the setting, and using the right scroll to increase the speed to 59mph it would not go above 49mph even with no other cars around.

I'll have to test it tomorrow morning with the "current speed" setting.
It does the same thing for me off the highway. You can press the throttle to increase your speed and it might maintain the new speed. Interestingly, on the highway it works as expected for me.

Reactions: Skavatar
On my first drive of 12.3 (3/23/24) I hit the speed limit sign reading regression. It was about 9pm and raining. What is usually a casual 30mph drive through town briefly turned into a 60mph thrill ride a few times as it missred the Massachusetts Route 62 signs as speed limit 60. It's done this 3-5 times so far on the 12.3 build I'm still on. It had done this a year or so ago on an earlier FSD 11 build too, but generally had not done it before or since until the other day.

1711894281129.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
On my drive today along I20 in GA, FSD was interpreting the Min Speed 40 signs as the actual speed limit, and lowering cars speed from 70 to 40. It did this EVERY time and I finally just had to turn it off as those signs pop up every couple of miles. Anyone else experiencing this?
I found this out with my drive from Florida to Indiana for the solar eclipse. Very annoying (the speed signs, not the eclipse), and should be easy to fix in a later release. I was on 12.3.3 when I was driving through.

Reactions: Mike1080i
I found this out with my drive from Florida to Indiana for the solar eclipse. Very annoying (the speed signs, not the eclipse), and should be easy to fix in a later release. I was on 12.3.3 when I was driving through.
I don't recall any issues heading north to Ohio for the eclipse, but that might be because the nav routed me off I-75 N in Dalton, GA on to state highways up to Cleveland, TN to rejoin I-75. But heading back home not long after crossing the GA state line on I-75 S there was a string of Min Speed Limit 40 signs every few miles and FSDS 12.3.3 seems to have found and responded to every one of them. Agreed, very annoying. I reported quite a few of them.

I don't recall any issues heading north to Ohio for the eclipse, but that might be because the nav routed me off I-75 N in Dalton, GA on to state highways up to Cleveland, TN to rejoin I-75. But heading back home not long after crossing the GA state line on I-75 S there was a string of Min Speed Limit 40 signs every few miles and FSDS 12.3.3 seems to have found and responded to every one of them. Agreed, very annoying. I reported quite a few of them.
I would report them, but not sure how?

I would report them, but not sure how?
Instead of scrolling the speed back up, I disengaged FSD and when it asked "What happened?" I made several reports that it shouldn't be dropping down to the indicated minimum speed limit. When I arrived home and the car connected to WiFi it uploaded almost 11 GB... I'm guessing that was mostly those speed limit related disengagement reports.