Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 S LR Navigation Quirks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of problems.
1) After heading down into a valley and then starting up again the car suddenly applies the brakes. It does the same thing at the top of a hill. I imagine that at the bottom it sees the rising road as an obstacle and at the top its' inability to see the road at all feels there is another problem.
2) Driving along a straight road with no traffic and no visible obstacles the cruise control suddenly slows and either shuts off or lowers the chosen speed setting and continues at that speed. No speed limit signs observed.
3) Okay three! On approaching a curve the cruise control waits until the car is half way through the curve and then abruptly brakes just in time to resume the set speed. The car seems to be under estimating either the car or the driver in addition to being late with its' unnecessary reaction.
I'm guessing that others have experienced these same idiosyncracies and wondering if there is a fix or these are things which Elon still needs to address.
Beasts

A couple of problems.
1) After heading down into a valley and then starting up again the car suddenly applies the brakes. It does the same thing at the top of a hill. I imagine that at the bottom it sees the rising road as an obstacle and at the top its' inability to see the road at all feels there is another problem.
2) Driving along a straight road with no traffic and no visible obstacles the cruise control suddenly slows and either shuts off or lowers the chosen speed setting and continues at that speed. No speed limit signs observed.
3) Okay three! On approaching a curve the cruise control waits until the car is half way through the curve and then abruptly brakes just in time to resume the set speed. The car seems to be under estimating either the car or the driver in addition to being late with its' unnecessary reaction.
I'm guessing that others have experienced these same idiosyncracies and wondering if there is a fix or these are things which Elon still needs to address.
Beasts
1,2) Welcome to the wonderful world of TV (TeslaVision) and PB (phantom braking). The 2nd point could be something in the database or could be TV. Just to see what the speed limit sign says on the display in those areas.

3) Need more info. Are you using AP (autopilot) or cruise control TACC)? They both use TV to adjust the speed. AP is basically only to be used on major roads, interstates, etc. A lot of the time I'd love just to have dumb cruise control.

My responses about TV and PB are mostly applicable then. Tesla says the following about TACC. I bolded a relevant section.

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control determines when there is a vehicle in front of you in the same lane. If the area in front of Model S is clear, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control maintains a set driving speed. When a vehicle is detected, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed to slow down Model S as needed to maintain a selected time-based distance from the vehicle in front, up to the set speed. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control does not eliminate the need to watch the road in front of you and to manually apply the brakes when needed.

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways.

I was expecting too much apparently. I'm always ready to react and I have in the situations mentioned but I hadn't remembered the "dry, straight roads" restriction. How will FSD ever reach full, safe function?

FSD uses a different software stack. It still relies upon the cameras and their limitations. I won't say FSDb (the beta which has the real drive you around town functionality) is bad. It definitely isn't worth 15k to me. I'd maybe give them 5k for it.