Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hartford Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my insurance provider( Hartford where I have all my vehicles ,home and umbrella coverage ) to provide a quote on a Tesla Model Y. They refused to insure at all. Searched and found a good rate through Costco for the Model Y as stand alone. Hartford wanted to be notified if and when I insured the Tesla for the unbrellla coverage to have it notated.

Today , Hartford called me back today to tell me that the umbrella coverage would not be renewed next year because I added the Telsa to the policy.

Can anyone advise why is Telsa considered like atomic waste by Hartford? I am forced to move all my insurance as the umbrella coverage is a necessity . What providers do people go with for a bundled package ( including the Tesla)?

We’ve been with State Farm for over 50 years continuously. I just received renewal wuotes on our 2 Tesla Model Ys and they went up 44%.

So I called AARP/Hartford for quotes on our 2 Teslas and our 22 Ford F-450. They will not write policies on the Teslas, the 450 Or an Umbrella policy. Plus if I get the cars insured with other than State Farm they would cancel my Umbrella policy.

Florida homeowner policies are also going crazy expensive.

I also tried getting a quote from AARP/The Hartford and got a rejection letter:
For the program to maintain competitive prices and to offer quality protection, we've established eligibility requirements. Regretfully, we are unable to provide you with coverage at this time. We came to the decision because certain vehicles, like your 2021 Tesla Model S, are either more susceptible to damage or are more expensive to repair than others.

It looks like just about everyone will do a bundle with an umbrella policy. Did Costco work out?

Otherwise the best auto quote I got was from NJM, a few dollars lower than Erie, my current provider. I didn't go with NJM after seeing too many reviews about them dropping people after a claim.