Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone driven to Alaska ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've lived in Alaska since '79 and thinking of buying S Plaid and driving home from the central coast of Calif to Wasilla AK area. Nowadays the drive is 99% paved and my last trip home 2 yrs ago in a new truck was a breeze, not a frost heave in site. I didn't notice any places to recharge a car, then again I wasn't really looking. Has anyone made the drive in their Tesla? It's an absolutely beautiful drive for anyone's bucket list, breathtaking views and wildlife. That doesn't mean I want to sit around hours waiting for a full charge. Almost every motel had plug in for block heaters, but I want to drive more than 250-300 miles each day.
Anyone have any recommends? How comfortable are the seats on long trips?

Reactions: Blue Stuff
Several have made the trek. Check with @AudubonB

BTW, Tesla is building several new Superchargers in BC which will make the trip a lot easier...at least to Prince George, with other legs coming someday in the future.
1625602722679.png

You can find a thread on the old Tesla forum about someone who drove the Dempster highway from California to Tuktoyaktuk Canada NWT in his Tesla. He says he mainly had to find welding shops along the route that would allow him to plug in and charge. So is it potentially possible? Yeah, probably. Will it be a breeze as you describe in your last new truck? I doubt it.

I think you should still be able to access the thread where the person talks about it via the following link or I found it again by just doing a google search for "tesla model s canada dempster highway"

Reactions: Sexy_owner
A CHAdeMO adapter will be a huge help on a trip to Alaska. The Yukon seems to be on a campaign to build out their EV infrastructure, which is great.

In the map below, orange pins are CHAdeMO, green pins are Tesla Destination and J-1772. Prepare to do a few charges at campgrounds in between... plan in advance so you can find 50 amp 240 volt sites instead of the much less desirable 30 amp 120 volt sites.

E88A4A55-AE29-43DC-A734-ED36F1D1C794.jpg

Wade Anderson on Twitter took his Model 3 Performance to northern Alaska two years ago. It was quite an adventure. You’ll find his check-ins at various places on PlugShare.