Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone made a cigarette lighter jump cable to start gateway in grid out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this would be easy. I would think 10 amps from cigarette lighter would be sufficient. I would think two to five watts would be sufficient per controller. But perhaps both the gateway and powerwall controller would need to be powered to restart system, so load might be dependent on number of powerwalls.

There are reports elsewhere that a 9V battery is sufficient.
This thread below reports about 1ma as sufficient.
Post in thread 'Restarting PW during power grid outage'
Restarting PW during power grid outage
More over here;

The Tesla manual says 12V, 18-16ga wire. So, perhaps as much as 5A, but I doubt it. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...erwall_2_AC_GW2_NA_EN_Installation_Manual.pdf

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
Yeah, the guy who attempted the jump start (1mA) didn’t need to, he still had 12v.
jump start is required when you hit the red button in grid out or the powerwalls are completely drained.
Boy Scout in me want to make a cable so I will never need it! If I don’t have it I will need one, if I have one I will never need one.

Yeah, the guy who attempted the jump start (1mA) didn’t need to, he still had 12v.
jump start is required when you hit the red button in grid out or the powerwalls are completely drained.
Boy Scout in me want to make a cable so I will never need it! If I don’t have it I will need one, if I have one I will never need one.
Well, I'm a big believer in Murphy as well. With your new cable in hand, you should be all set to ward of the evil influences on your system.

Of course, if you ever do use it, I, for one, would be interested in hearing the details.

All the best,

BG

May I know what's the necessity or benefit of doing this?
If your system is dead or drained and the grid is out, this allows you to wake up the system to prevent damage and get the Solar alive and charging the batteries.

Also if the grid is down and someone hits the red button, you must do this or wait for the grid to return before your system wakes up regardless of the battery state of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder and KHYE
If your system is dead or drained and the grid is out, this allows you to wake up the system to prevent damage and get the Solar alive and charging the batteries.

Also if the grid is down and someone hits the red button, you must do this or wait for the grid to return before your system wakes up regardless of the battery state of charge.
Thanks @Vines for the explanations, this makes sense now for me.