TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone painted black lip/side skirts?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by usa9910, Jun 13, 2018.

1. usa9910

usa9910 Member

Morning,

Wondering if anyone has painted their stock black front lip and side skirts to match the color of the car like the new Model S? Picture attached if confused....

thanks

Attached Files:

2. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

A lot of owners have done it. Takes some prep work by the paint shop if you want a smooth look as the plastic is textured.

I have a set of refresh rocker panels (side skirts) waiting to go the paint to get color matched. The refresh ones are smooth and ready for primer and paint.

3. usa9910

usa9910 Member

any photos available?

4. paixim

paixim Member

I’m also asking around to see if I can just wrap them, including the black pieces in the rear bumper.

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

6. usa9910

usa9910 Member

7. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Post #913 has a youtube video of a white one with the lip and sideskirts color matched.

8. paixim

paixim Member

Did you get them directly from the service center? How hard or easy is it to remove old side skirt and install new ones?

In addition to the side skirts, there are black plastic pieces on the rear bumper. Seems like quite a bit of hassle to remove the rear bumper to paint those.

9. kev1n

kev1n Member

here are some of my p85

IMG_0144.jpg IMG_0152.jpg IMG_0158.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  10. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

The rocker panels I got from the service center. It's an unrestricted part so you shouldn't have any issues ordering it. Pretty easy to remove. There are a couple of youtube videos showing how to do it.

I've looked into the removal of the front and rear. It is definitely much more labor intensive. Best left to body shop or one that has experience working on Teslas.

11. paixim

paixim Member