Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sold their car through Driveway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been shopping my 2021 M3P around and Driveway came back with the best offer by far. $17K more than Carvana and $4K more than Vroom. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Are they legit?

Thanks,

DD

Holy hell, that's quite a price disparity.

We sold two cars through Carvana and it was a good experience - good offer, simple to manage the paperwork online, the pickup was terrific too. They show with their own flatbed transport, you sign a couple of docs electronically and we opted for an EFT which was started when they picked up the cars and was in our account by the next day.

We also checked out Vroom and CarMax, but I liked the pickup process that Carvana offered, and the prices were within about 10% or so. Vroom was about 20% higher on the second car we sold, but I didn't like that they don't pay until they do a final inspection after they leave with your vehicle.

The Carvana offer I got was not competitive at all. They are listing similar cars to mine on their website for low to mid $60s while offering me $47K. There is no amount of convenience that could offset that much of a difference for me. But I got a call from Driveway offering much more. I don't know anything about them other than finding them on Google.

The Carvana offer I got was not competitive at all. They are listing similar cars to mine on their website for low to mid $60s while offering me $47K. There is no amount of convenience that could offset that much of a difference for me. But I got a call from Driveway offering much more. I don't know anything about them other than finding them on Google.

Oh yeah, at that difference, I think I'd be inclined to give it a shot if they checked out at all. Sometimes you take a hit from existing stock, and I also found there's some impact from location.

Our DD/RT we got close to $11K over our lease buyout price (we did have to do that ourselves, < 30 days , Carvana couldn't buy it from the dealer, so we bought and turned it right around). My Mustang GT convertible I got about the same price I paid 2 years ago, so sort of drive it for free which is cool too (I'd imagine convertibles are lower on the value proposition).

Oh yeah, at that difference, I think I'd be inclined to give it a shot if they checked out at all. Sometimes you take a hit from existing stock, and I also found there's some impact from location.

Our DD/RT we got close to $11K over our lease buyout price (we did have to do that ourselves, < 30 days , Carvana couldn't buy it from the dealer, so we bought and turned it right around). My Mustang GT convertible I got about the same price I paid 2 years ago, so sort of drive it for free which is cool too (I'd imagine convertibles are lower on the value proposition).
That's insane! Who would have thought used car prices would be so high. I sold my 09 BMW 335i when I got my M3P for $6K last year to my mechanic (and my BMW's best friend). I should have kept it bc it's worth about $12K now.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I've been shopping my 2021 M3P around and Driveway came back with the best offer by far. $17K more than Carvana and $4K more than Vroom. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Are they legit?

Thanks,

DD
I just sold my car to them. It was quick and easy process. They came to my home and checked out the car. Then signed some papers and they either give you a check or ach to bank.

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Not to hijack your thread but I'm in the process of selling or trading my S for a 3. What are the top options for online selling. I'm just hearing about Driveway but knew of Carvana and Vroom. Any other alternatives worth looking into?

Not to hijack your thread but I'm in the process of selling or trading my S for a 3. What are the top options for online selling. I'm just hearing about Driveway but knew of Carvana and Vroom. Any other alternatives worth looking into?
Carmax is another one but you have to bring your car in to the dealership for inspection before they give you a quote. I haven't tried that one yet although I hear they are also competitive in pricing.

@odguy

With Carvana and Vroom (and it sounds like Driveaway), you can get a quote without any commitment (or much bother) in < 5 minutes, so it's really easy to compare offers - VIN, mileage, and a couple of pages of questions about condition, options, etc., don't even need photos on the first part of the process.

Just go online and enter your information then compare. Driveway was best for me because they come to you AND the price they give you is the amount you get for your car. No surprises. Money was in my account in one day. They came on Monday MLK day and took the car. Money was in the bank on Wednesday

Reactions: Doggiedog
I have an existing offer with them that is a bit higher than others and have submitted my documentation to them. The person I've been in contact with has said they "moved me forward to a Tier 2 rep to complete your final sale documents within a few days".

@itsallaboutme How long did you wait before finalizing with this Tier 2 rep? I have a few other competitive offers that will expire soon and want to make sure Driveway is legit and will pay the amount they are offering before losing out on the other offers. Are they like the Vroom experiences I've read about where they string you along for weeks?

I scheduled a date online. Someone called me to go over a few things and that was it. Did you schedule a date for them to come? I didn’t go through anything else. Is your car paid off? Mine was so it was a simple fast process. The only thing they asked for was a picture of my registration through text.

I have an existing offer with them that is a bit higher than others and have submitted my documentation to them. The person I've been in contact with has said they "moved me forward to a Tier 2 rep to complete your final sale documents within a few days".

@itsallaboutme How long did you wait before finalizing with this Tier 2 rep? I have a few other competitive offers that will expire soon and want to make sure Driveway is legit and will pay the amount they are offering before losing out on the other offers. Are they like the Vroom experiences I've read about where they string you along for weeks?
I answered above forgot to quote you.

I scheduled a date online. Someone called me to go over a few things and that was it. Did you schedule a date for them to come? I didn’t go through anything else. Is your car paid off? Mine was so it was a simple fast process. The only thing they asked for was a picture of my registration through text.
I had just been in contact over text and sent over all the required docs. I was just informed the final paperwork will be sent on the 27th, which I assumed must be completed, sent back and then pickup scheduled. So it's a bit of a process but they've offered the highest trade-in offer.

They also confirmed that the price they've quoted is locked in and that no inspection is needed, which is interesting.

Reactions: Doggiedog

I answered above forgot to quote you
I had just been in contact over text and sent over all the required docs. I was just informed the final paperwork will be sent on the 27th, which I assumed must be completed, sent back and then pickup scheduled. So it's a bit of a process but they've offered the highest trade-in offer.

They also confirmed that the price they've quoted is locked in and that no inspection is needed, which is interesting.
that is a different process then I went through. I was texting about car history and registration. Then the call confirming the pickup. Did they say they’re bringing a check or give you option for ACH? Just to make sure you went to driveway dot com correct?