Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone traveled Homestead/Miami to Orlando or vice-versa?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys!

I am eagerly awaiting my new S70. However, this is my first time using an electric vehicle and I'm kinda lost at how going from Miami to Orlando would work. I understand there is a supercharger at West Palm, which would be needed and maybe one at PSL or Turkey Lake? Anyone done the trip before can chime in? Is there anything to do while the car charges at WPB?

Thanks

I've done Tampa to south Florida several times by way of the turnpike. With the superchargers now in place, it's a piece of cake. I recommend that you plan to skip West Palm. It's at a a service center in an industrial area with nothing else around. Plan on Port Saint Lucie instead. Lots of stuff there. Ft. Drum and Turkey Lake are both in service plazas on the Turnpike so you can have a bathroom break and get some refreshments. Remember to plan on destination charging in Orlando. Also, don't discount the value of a standard 120v outlet which could easily suffice if you are not doing a lot of driving while there.

Hi guys!

I am eagerly awaiting my new S70. However, this is my first time using an electric vehicle and I'm kinda lost at how going from Miami to Orlando would work. I understand there is a supercharger at West Palm, which would be needed and maybe one at PSL or Turkey Lake? Anyone done the trip before can chime in? Is there anything to do while the car charges at WPB?

Thanks

You should be able to make it to Ft. Drum without a problem, which is a great Supercharger. It has easy access from both northbound and southbound. If you don't have a destination charger, you may need to backtrack up to Turkey Lake, which isn't as convenient as Ft. Drum. At Turkey Lake, if you're northbound, you need to circle around the building to the southbound side. On the southbound side, because of how the lot is divided, you need to go to south end of the lot and turn back to the north end of the southbound lot, where the superchargers are located.

I managed to find a 120V outlet at the hotel I was at the last time we went up to Orlando, which provided us enough trickle charge at night to get us back down to Fort Drum without having to backtrack. I also managed to get the car stuck in the mud, when I attempted to make a u-turn through a swamp. Don't try this at home (or anywhere else for that matter) with a RWD 2-ton sedan.

stuck_in_the_mud.jpg

You should be able to make it to Ft. Drum without a problem, which is a great Supercharger. It has easy access from both northbound and southbound. If you don't have a destination charger, you may need to backtrack up to Turkey Lake, which isn't as convenient as Ft. Drum. At Turkey Lake, if you're northbound, you need to circle around the building to the southbound side. On the southbound side, because of how the lot is divided, you need to go to south end of the lot and turn back to the north end of the southbound lot, where the superchargers are located.

I managed to find a 120V outlet at the hotel I was at the last time we went up to Orlando, which provided us enough trickle charge at night to get us back down to Fort Drum without having to backtrack. I also managed to get the car stuck in the mud, when I attempted to make a u-turn through a swamp. Don't try this at home (or anywhere else for that matter) with a RWD 2-ton sedan.

I will definitely try to avoid grassy u-turns based on your advice......