Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone willingly returned to the ICE-age?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla is a great daily driver, but I would not ditch my ICE cars. I simply love cars, all kinds of cars, so long as they are absolutely awesome and interesting. The exhaust note on my Porsche is a thing of beauty. Getting my Lightning sideways is stupid fun. Cruising on my Vrod is exhilarating and my Saleen, is well, OK that one is kinda stupid but I have had it for 20 years so leave me alone. The sound it makes shakes the garage, so that's kinda cool. I don't see why it has to be an either or thing. I'm not out to make a statement with the Tesla, it was simply the most interesting car that suited my needs at the time I bought it. And it is gorgeous, fast and technologically advanced (though the new S-Class does kick it's ass in many ways in that regard). I love the car, the styling, the tech and the concept, but that doesn't mean that I ignore the fact that other people make awesome cars too.
Pretty much this. A great car is a great car; doesn't matter what type of motor it has. This is what separates the automotive enthusiast from the fanboys.

When I installed my 14-50, I contemplated giving headroom for a 2nd one to accommodate our future Model X, but I decided one outlet was good enough. While it would be convenient to have two, I decided that one would do the trick for us. We will never both use a full batterycharge on any given day so we can either take turns every other night charging or charge one in the early evening and then the other overnight.

Please realize that my outlet is 80ft from my breaker panel which is in the basement so I already had to run 80ft of 6AWG wire. If my breaker panel was closer, I would have just gone-ahead with two outlets.

I bought a cheap 15 year old Honda S2000 as a summer fun car. It was a superb example of 20th century engineering and a hoot to blast down the twist back roads, but the first £60 fill up gave me pause for thought.

Fortunately I test drove my red Roadster the day I picked up the Honda and was eventually able to do the deal. So I returned to the ICE age for about 3 weeks.

Our other car is a 2007 Lexus LS460L Exec Class. Since we got the Model S 17 months ago, we have put less than 2000 miles on the Lexus. It was the only other car that Consumer's Report has given a 99 rating and we thought it was wonderful - luxurious, and the only car where my wife can lie back with her feet up on the ottoman in the back seat and watch a DVD while I act as chauffer. It still is wonderful, but we almost never drive it - my wife uses it to go to Safeway and run errands, if I am driving the Tesla. Otherwise, she drives the Tesla to run errands.

I just took delivery of a Porsche Cayman. I still love the Model S, particularly as a daily driver, but as a fun sports car, it simply doesn't compare to the Cayman.

I've driven Roadsters, and I'd take the Cayman over one of those as well.

Heck, even Elon has some fun cars-- I know he has a Jaguar E-Type, and I imagine some others as well. He tweeted about driving the E-Type a while back.

I just took delivery of a Porsche Cayman. I still love the Model S, particularly as a daily driver, but as a fun sports car, it simply doesn't compare to the Cayman.

Agree that the Cayman handles much better than the S. I have an 09 Cayman. But I prefer driving my wife's Tesla for all the obvious reasons that many owners have posted about innumerable times, including me.

For the sake of the planet we have to move out of the Oil Age and move on to the Renewables Age, and EVs are an essential part of that transition. I am never buying another ICE.

When I can afford it I will be selling my Cayman and probably buying a Roadster. I do wish that Porsche would make a 200+ mile range 2-seater EV. But the company lacks the vision, the will, and the expertise.

The Jaguar E Type is a beautiful car. But I bet Elon rarely drives his.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. While electric propulsion offers many practical advantages (as we all know from the Model S), I'm a soulless running dog capitalist and unwilling to indulge in the "save the trees" thing. Sorry. It's a pet peeve of mine that people who know I drive a Tesla somehow think I'm a "green" when I'm probably the least "green" person you will meet.

They always try to convince me that the Model S isn't really "green" in comparison to some overgrown golf kart thing-- or a bicycle, for that matter, when I couldn't care less about being "green."

For the sake of the planet we have to move out of the Oil Age and move on to the Renewables Age, and EVs are an essential part of that transition. I am never buying another ICE.

He really had a fetish for taking the Mercedes to the car wash.

- - - Updated - - -

With a 125 mi commute and no charging at work the Model S will save so much operating cost. It will take an 85 to do this commute and anything over this commuting distance will be impractical.

Those who live in apartments or condos and can't charge at their residence are the ones who will find owning a Tesla to be difficult.

I'm one of these people. My condo has no EV chargers, and getting one installed in my spot would've cost $7-10k, not practical. My in-laws live about a mile away so I just charge there about 1-2 times a week and I'm good to go. The wife and I are at their place once a week for dinner or just hanging out anyway. Other times I just mosey on over to the supercharger near Container Park here in Las Vegas and enjoy the sights while it charges.