Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has auto-park gotten a lot worse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned a 2015 S for 9 years. Auto-park didn’t exist when I bought it, but when it arrived I tried it. It was ok. Would only attempt to parallel park in a very large space, but did so competently. Over the years it got better, more willing to park in more challenging spaces, and was really quite good until the car was totaled. I’ve replaced it with a 2021 S. I figured, more cameras, better computer, it should be better, right? No way. The auto-park function in this is terrible. It oscillates back and forth impotently until I put it out of its misery and just park it myself. Now, this is not a big deal for me. I’m a very good parallel parker, so the auto-park is just kind of a lazy party trick for me. But, I don’t understand what’s happening here. Has the function really gotten that much worse? Is FSD Messing with it? Are too many cameras making it a paranoid schizophrenic?

Last edited:
Had autopark on my 2017 Model S. was as you describe. OK, then better. Though it was a bit fast and cavalier at times reversing into spaces.

Got a Model Y in 2022. Did better than the Model S. parked parallel and in between cars and in ‘vertical’ spaces well.

Then, maybe last year, things changed. It preferred marked bays over gaps between cars in bays. And was very back and forth in settling into a space. Also it became more pedestrian and obstacle aware. No bad thing, a cautious robot is a safer robot. It does mean it will pause when parking in shopping streets and car parks to the annoyance of other, less cautious, drivers. A few weeks back it had a dog walker and her dog in thrall as they would pull back and it would start moving and then they would give it a wide berth and it would pause for them. Lots of stop, start like a pedestrian pavement duel.

Recently it has become better and faster and identifying parking spaces. But its competence approaches that of a tentative teen learner.

Maybe some future update will make it more confident?

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverGS
I owned a 2015 S for 9 years. Auto-park didn’t exist when I bought it, but when it arrived I tried it. It was ok. Would only attempt to parallel park in a very large space, but did so competently. Over the years it got better, more willing to park in more challenging spaces, and was really quite good until the car was totaled. I’ve replaced it with a 2021 S. I figured, more cameras, better computer, it should be better, right? No way. The auto-park function in this is terrible. It oscillates back and forth impotently until I put it out of its misery and just park it myself. Now, this is not a big deal for me. I’m a very good parallel parker, so the auto-park is just kind of a lazy party trick for me. But, I don’t understand what’s happening here. Has the function really gotten that much worse? Is FSD Messing with it? Are too many cameras making it a paranoid schizophrenic?
Ultra sonic sensors to cameras learning curve