Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Navigate on Autopilot just gotten stupid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lane following still seems to work, But the ability to on ramp or offramp or follow ramps from one highway to another seems to have completely disappeared, I’m constantly having to disengage NAP to get it to go the right way, and then taking three or four attempts to reengage it just to get Lane following.

Has it been degraded to get me to purchase FSD? I don’t have the hardware…

Lane following still seems to work, But the ability to on ramp or offramp or follow ramps from one highway to another seems to have completely disappeared, I’m constantly having to disengage NAP to get it to go the right way, and then taking three or four attempts to reengage it just to get Lane following.

Oh, I think you mean what we call NoAP, or Navigate on AutoPilot. Unless you mean something else. I don't know what NAP is other than a short rest.

I too have noticed a slow decline in some features that actually worked pretty well. It appears that Tesla has split the production base into two very different sw designs. FSD is all wrapped up in neural nets with a closed loop feedback to the Mother Ship. This is nice except that there no regression testing prior to push. They seem to do a quick check, not an extensive set of checks. The reports suggest two steps forward, one step back.

The original track seems to bumble along adding cute features (color cars) but does not progress. In fact, I see a two steps back, zero steps forward phenom. Could this be managed by the B team? Hope not.

I think a better choice would be to have two levels of FSD. The lower feature level would operate as Autopilot does now. The upper level is FSD Beta. This would allow each car to be a data collector so that even the Autopilot capable base contributes to improvement. Now you would have one code base with the A team on it. Simply stated two feature levels, one sw design/team.

Right now, I doubt Autopilot standard has any feedback, nor does it operate a learning mode process. If Tesla cannot do the above, at least operate FSD in learning mode on all the cars so that they benefit from a fleet experience.

OK, enough.

SR

Somewhat related to this - I have FSD Beta and had an, uh, not good experience merging onto the highway from an on-ramp yesterday. It started fine, but as it got closer to being time to merge onto the highway, the visualization kept switching between the FSD & AP stacks every half second or so for probably a solid 5 seconds. While it was doing this, the car was slowing down instead of picking up speed to merge. This is doubly odd because I wouldn't have expected EITHER stack to behave in this way. I was too scared to see what would happen with the oncoming traffic and therefore disengaged. The visualization stabilized into the AP stack once I merged. So, I re-engaged AP and it successfully took me off-ramp and smoothly transitioned back into the FSD stack. It was WEIRD...and strange how wildly inconsistent both FSD and NoAP can be sometimes.